Re: The Myth of the 20th Century

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:55 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:45 pm
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:35 pm

Straw man fallacy. Invalid response. Please form an argument.
An argument for what? I'm not going to defend the British landowners' conduct during the potato famine.

I am going to point out that the numbers given are wildly inaccurate and give my opinion as to why I think the IRA sympathiser who wrote this piece is lying about the numbers and the possible effect on the delicate peace in Northern Ireland. There were two or three car bombs in the last month or two in NI. Set off by the terrorists this guy supports.
Well, I meant ad hominem strategy. My fever is over a hundred now and I have been sipping cough syrup instead of diet pepsi, so fuck off.

When you attack the character of the man making the argument, you commit a fallacy called ad hominem. To wit: arguing that the man making that argument is an IRA sympathizer does not somehow refute his argument that your people in fact genocided Ireland in the 19th century.

If you want to get all butthurt about it, like Cenk Ugly when he goes on an Armenian genocide denial tirade, that's up to you. But meanwhile the guy you dismissed because you don't agree with his politics is making a coherent argument that you failed to refute.

The fact remains that your people seized most of the arable land of Ireland through conquest. Then the absentee landlords shipped all the food out of Ireland, causing AT LEAST a million people to starve to death. I don't see how you can deny that, and trying to dispute one million or five million is bordering on holocaust denial-level nonsense.
Denied what. I said it was a million deaths and a shitty episode in British colonial history.
I'm not the revisionist historian inflating the figures by a factor of 5.

I don't see how you can deny that this is fake news.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:29 pm

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:31 pm

That's a good idea. I have been wondering what to grow on the patio. I plan to get at least one fruit tree next month. Was thinking about building a planting box in the patio area to grow some tomatoes on trellises. Some potatoes might be interesting, though potatoes are cheap as fuck around here. Strawberries and raspberries are expensive.

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:04 am

TheReal_ND wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:29 pm
I have one of those and had success in the past with a similar idea of stacking soil as the plant grows (Did it in a big plastic tub). But you have to make sure to get organic untreated potatoes. Apparently, regular potatoes are treated with a growth inhibitor. I had a 4'+ tall plant covered in soil that had zero offshoots or tubers, just a big, tall plant of fail. Whomp whomp.

Got the next batch from the Crunchie store so hopefully they will provide something to harvest.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:02 pm

https://myth20c.wordpress.com/2019/02/2 ... black-ice/

Although hesitant to adopt a set political label, The Distributist, whose channel includes wide-ranging philosophical discussions and in-depth analysis of civilizational political strategy, nonetheless considers himself part the ‘Western Tradition’. In typical rigorous fashion, The Distributist defines this with the C.L.E.A.R. acronym. C for Christendom, L for lived philosophy, E for ethical, A for ageless spiritual tradition, and R for renaissance. The latter is of particular note as The Distributist is a reactionary in the sense of believing the world is not always progressing forward. But as a true renaissance man, he seeks to make the present about making the future better.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:47 pm

I just finished this one again. Man is it really good.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:04 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:47 pm
I just finished this one again. Man is it really good.
Yea it is. I skimmed through a few other episodes of Our Interesting Times podcast and its a bit scattered and conspiracy minded but this one is solid and its mostly b/c of Nick Mason. Also, the Pozz Button episodes with Nick are all worth checking out if your into film at all. Thanks for those links earlier. Nick has mentioned on past Myths podcast episodes that he likes biography episodes and I agree they are great ways to contextualize and personalize history or historical times/themes more intimately. I think Hans/Hank and him should do a movies/tv episodes as a spinoff podcast under the Myths banner. I flirt with the idea of making my own one but then I realize I have life to live and a home & hearth to look after. The wolves are out and one must tend his garden and all. For what kind of man would I be if I didn't actually do what it is my duty to do? I just feel so fucking isolated and atomized searching for a community to hold tight to.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:09 pm

I was just listening to an episode of Our Interesting times about the occult rituals surrounding the assassination of JFK. Would not recommend. Some interesting back history about Jesuits but other than that, complete garbage. I like paranormal stuff as much as the next guy but I can't into that crap. Our Interesting Times has EMJ on from time to time so at least they got that going for them. I think the host is very knowledgeable and demonstrates it well with his talk with Nick Mason, but I guess he decides to feild whatever strikes his fancy when doing the show.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:06 pm

Serial killers, known throughout history, maintain a unique place in American pop culture, reported on and sensationalized by the media. Tonight we discuss some of the history behind this phenomenon, causal factors, and cultural artifacts that remain with us today.
https://myth20c.wordpress.com/2019/02/2 ... tradition/

Great show.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:52 pm

The DC sniper story is weird