"If minimum wage goes up, the price of everything goes up."

Fife

Re: "If minimum wage goes up, the price of everything goes up."

Post by Fife » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:25 am

Sarah Hoyt has made a bundle from writing, so her take is worth a look, if profit is a motive.

Make Big Money Writing Fiction

And in fact, I know people who are becoming very rich, very fast doing just that. Just like I know several outfits making a living wage from assembling and publishing muli-author themed anthologies at several per month.

Right now, the way to make it big in publishing is to write fast (or hire others to write fast) and keep hold of the ADHD, short attention span super-reader as they barrel endlessly through your series.

The books don’t have to be brilliant. They only need to be “comfortable” or “entertaining” and minimally competent.

I’ve found a lot of the biggest sellers are outright pulpish, in being fun without requiring any great reasoning or thought.

Of course, traditional publishers could still be doing this. Arguably, if they had two brain cells to rub together they would be doing this and as hard and fast as they can.

But they prefer to stay locked in puzzled denial — looking for maximum profit out of casual buyers of paper-bricks — like dinosaurs looking at the blazing meteor crossing the sky.

And they, therefore, leave the field wide open for hundreds of fast, smart little mammals to make a lot of money indeed.
Charlie Martin's post linked in the Hoyt piece above: https://pjmedia.com/trending/the-publis ... ublishing/

(Yes Cali, Neal Stephenson is awesome)

jediuser598

Re: "If minimum wage goes up, the price of everything goes up."

Post by jediuser598 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:16 am

Fife wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:25 am
Sarah Hoyt has made a bundle from writing, so her take is worth a look, if profit is a motive.

Make Big Money Writing Fiction

And in fact, I know people who are becoming very rich, very fast doing just that. Just like I know several outfits making a living wage from assembling and publishing muli-author themed anthologies at several per month.

Right now, the way to make it big in publishing is to write fast (or hire others to write fast) and keep hold of the ADHD, short attention span super-reader as they barrel endlessly through your series.

The books don’t have to be brilliant. They only need to be “comfortable” or “entertaining” and minimally competent.

I’ve found a lot of the biggest sellers are outright pulpish, in being fun without requiring any great reasoning or thought.

Of course, traditional publishers could still be doing this. Arguably, if they had two brain cells to rub together they would be doing this and as hard and fast as they can.

But they prefer to stay locked in puzzled denial — looking for maximum profit out of casual buyers of paper-bricks — like dinosaurs looking at the blazing meteor crossing the sky.

And they, therefore, leave the field wide open for hundreds of fast, smart little mammals to make a lot of money indeed.
Charlie Martin's post linked in the Hoyt piece above: https://pjmedia.com/trending/the-publis ... ublishing/

(Yes Cali, Neal Stephenson is awesome)
Nothing wrong with pulp. Write pulp to keep the lights on, write real stuff under said lights.
Thy praise or dispraise is to me alike:
One doth not stroke me, nor the other strike.
-Ben Johnson