The Green Leap Forward

C-Mag

Re: The Green Leap Forward

Post by C-Mag » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:32 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:27 pm

Key term there is "or nuclear energy". You are not going to run an industrial nation on solar and wind. Sorry. It's just not going to happen, dude. Get real.
+1
But small and Micro green energy that fits the local environment are great fun running households and taking that demand off big energy.

The only problem is the Gosplanners can't abide with over half the country being energy independent of the State grid and corporate power interests.

If a person can be energy indepent in their homes, suddenly electric local transportation looks pretty fucking good. These regulations and demand for central control are killing our opportunities at innovation and development.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:33 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:32 pm

Key term there is "or nuclear energy". You are not going to run an industrial nation on solar and wind. Sorry. It's just not going to happen, dude. Get real.
+1
But small and Micro green energy that fits the local environment are great fun running households and taking that demand off big energy.

The only problem is the Gosplanners can't abide with over half the country being energy independent of the State grid and corporate power interests.

If a person can be energy indepent in their homes, suddenly electric local transportation looks pretty fucking good. These regulations and demand for central control are killing our opportunities at innovation and development.
I am 100% behind people trying to get off the grid.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:37 pm

Ya know we sent the Peace Corps to 3rd world villages and help them set up micro hydro impellers, but we won't do that in our own country.

How fucking stupid are we
PLATA O PLOMO

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:38 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:14 pm
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:43 am
It would be nowhere better than now. "Renewable power" does not replace an industrial nation's power grid. I don't know how many people have to explain this to you, some have done so in detail, but for fuck sake it's not the same thing.

Powering your greenhouse is not the same thing as powering a fucking aluminum foundry.
The UK is running at around 60% renewable or nuclear-powered electricity generation. Only 40% is now fossil fuels and there's plenty more space for offshore wind power. Solar farms are still growing and rooftop panels are everywhere. The technology keeps improving and appliances use less power year on year.
Perfectly possible to generate 100% low carbon electricity.
All it takes is the will to do it and the strength to resist the fossil fuel lobbies.
Might even see it in my lifetime. Coal generation will definitely be gone before I die if I can get another 20 years. We already have coal-free days when the sun shines in the summer and when the wind blows.
I don't know where you got the idea that I'm against nuclear power. I see it as the best stopgap solution we have right now. It has its consequences too though. The mining of uranium ore is very energy heavy and the waste is nasty shit.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:40 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:38 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:14 pm

The UK is running at around 60% renewable or nuclear-powered electricity generation. Only 40% is now fossil fuels and there's plenty more space for offshore wind power. Solar farms are still growing and rooftop panels are everywhere. The technology keeps improving and appliances use less power year on year.
Perfectly possible to generate 100% low carbon electricity.
All it takes is the will to do it and the strength to resist the fossil fuel lobbies.
Might even see it in my lifetime. Coal generation will definitely be gone before I die if I can get another 20 years. We already have coal-free days when the sun shines in the summer and when the wind blows.
I don't know where you got the idea that I'm against nuclear power. I see it as the best stopgap solution we have right now. It has its consequences too though. The mining of uranium ore is very energy heavy and the waste is nasty shit.

Well, why are you responding to my post about solar and wind as if I am the one with a problem with nuclear? I'd build thorium reactors clear across these lands if it were up to me.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:43 pm

Why don't we build nuclear reactors underground ?
PLATA O PLOMO

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:45 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:43 pm
Why don't we build nuclear reactors underground ?
Probably because of heat and safety.

A uranium-based reactor needs different ways to cool down the rods to avoid meltdown in emergencies.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:48 pm

Wouldn't being underground be safer in the event of a meltdown ?
PLATA O PLOMO

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:53 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:29 pm

Coastal energy development concerns are hypocrisy. Nations love coastal development with high real estate prices and high taxes to the gov.

I ranted a lot about rebuilding N'Oleans after Katrina. We should not have. Greenies didn't say a fucking word when they rebuild on land that should be delta flood plains and riparian areas.

Fuck the Greenies. They just want more Central control.
I agree with most of that but your last line is paranoid.
I'm too tired to argue though and I'm up for work in about 6 hours (4am) so you'll have to excuse me not getting into it now.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:58 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:53 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:29 pm

Coastal energy development concerns are hypocrisy. Nations love coastal development with high real estate prices and high taxes to the gov.

I ranted a lot about rebuilding N'Oleans after Katrina. We should not have. Greenies didn't say a fucking word when they rebuild on land that should be delta flood plains and riparian areas.

Fuck the Greenies. They just want more Central control.
I agree with most of that but your last line is paranoid.
I'm too tired to argue though and I'm up for work in about 6 hours (4am) so you'll have to excuse me not getting into it now.
Maybe it's a blind spot for me. But all I see from Greenies is demand for international and federal regulation and taxes as a solution. I don't see Greenies with a big push for independent energy at the personal level.

Ralph Begley is the only one I can name.
PLATA O PLOMO