How's that Obamacare Repeal Working Out For You?

Fife

Re: How's that Obamacare Repeal Working Out For You?

Post by Fife » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:05 am

An interesting read on Roberts and the fantastic dupe of "repeal Obamacare."

New Book: John Roberts Let Politics Sway His Obamacare Ruling
She writes that he initially voted with the four other conservatives to strike down the ACA, on the grounds that it went beyond Congress’s power to regulate interstate commerce. Likewise, he initially voted to uphold the ACA’s expansion of Medicaid. But Roberts, who kept the opinion for himself to write, soon developed second thoughts.

Biskupic, who interviewed many of the justices for this book, including her subject, writes that Roberts said he felt ‘torn between his heart and his head.’ He harbored strong views on the limitations of congressional power, but hesitated to interject the Court into the ongoing health-insurance crisis. After trying unsuccessfully to find a middle way with Kennedy, who was ‘unusually firm’ and even ‘put off’ by the courtship, Roberts turned to the Court’s two moderate liberals, Stephen Breyer and Elena Kagan. The threesome negotiated a compromise decision that upheld the ACA’s individual mandate under Congress’s taxing power, while striking down the Medicaid expansion.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:06 am

It's weird how the conservatives are protecting Obamacare when, ten years ago, they said they were totally opposed to it. It's almost like conservatism is just liberalism delayed.

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:16 am

Just wait til next year; the proggos are going so far out over their skis that the "conservatives" are going to feel empowered to hitch their big boy britches up on wacko shit like single-payer, more than a trillion/year for "defense," "sensible gun laws," and who knows what else.

I'm just reading a piece out today from VDH about how far out the DNC is going this time around (I'm going to post it in the election 2020 thread), and we can just imagine how far out the GOP/neocon response is going to be.

Not a fucking inch to these scoundrels, if you ask me. (I know no one wants to ask me; that's just a bit of Fife license :D .)

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:13 am

My reports show that when Obama spied on the SCOTUS, he learned that Roberts and his wife had used an illegal means to adopt his kids. This was used as leverage to make the dubious decision that Obamacare was OK because it was a Tax.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:26 pm

Fife wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:16 am
Just wait til next year; the proggos are going so far out over their skis that the "conservatives" are going to feel empowered to hitch their big boy britches up on wacko shit like single-payer, more than a trillion/year for "defense," "sensible gun laws," and who knows what else.

I'm just reading a piece out today from VDH about how far out the DNC is going this time around (I'm going to post it in the election 2020 thread), and we can just imagine how far out the GOP/neocon response is going to be.

Not a fucking inch to these scoundrels, if you ask me. (I know no one wants to ask me; that's just a bit of Fife license :D .)
Are you a VDH fan? He is coming out with a Trump book this year.
Shikata ga nai

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:49 pm

I like Hanson's takes. He's a man of the old school.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:51 pm

Fife wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:49 pm
I watched some of his lectures on Mexifornia, and he was sounding alarm bells on this shit years ago. He has proven to be right. He is a bit of a Neocon though, and seems to have never met a war he didn't like. That being said, I enjoy a lot of his historical stuff and cultural commentary. Carnage and Culture is great except for the last 2 chapters.
Shikata ga nai

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:09 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:51 pm
Fife wrote:
I watched some of his lectures on Mexifornia, and he was sounding alarm bells on this shit years ago. He has proven to be right. He is a bit of a Neocon though, and seems to have never met a war he didn't like. That being said, I enjoy a lot of his historical stuff and cultural commentary. Carnage and Culture is great except for the last 2 chapters.
What's wrong with those chapters...is he talking about Iraq or something newish?

He believes in projecting strength and using the military if and when needed. I think he honestly thinks if we aren't all over the place or in a large degree not having bases around the world or in "strategic" locations America will lose its place and even be attacked b/c it will appear weaker. Is that a valid foreign policy strategy ...idk...seems a bit too Romanesque. Decline and Fall and all that. I think its a logical / reasonable stance but not the one I'd advocate. I think its time for fortress America and Hadrian's Wall so to speak.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:10 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:09 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:51 pm
Fife wrote:
What's wrong with those chapters...is he talking about Iraq or something newish?

He believes in projecting strength and using the military if and when needed. I think he honestly thinks if we aren't all over the place or in a large degree not having bases around the world or in "strategic" locations America will lose its place and even be attacked b/c it will appear weaker. Is that a valid foreign policy strategy ...idk...seems a bit too Romanesque. Decline and Fall and all that. I think its a logical / reasonable stance but not the one I'd advocate. I think its time for fortress America and Hadrian's Wall so to speak.
He was talking about the Tet Offensive. It was a reach for him to tie that into the rest of the book.
Shikata ga nai

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:30 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:06 am
It's weird how the conservatives are protecting Obamacare when, ten years ago, they said they were totally opposed to it. It's almost like conservatism is just liberalism delayed.
I dont get this, does no one know that for intents and purposes Obamacare has been gutted? Without the financial penalty of the individual mandate it's dead.