Social Justice Warriors Thread

GloryofGreece

Re: Social Justice Warriors Thread

Post by GloryofGreece » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:29 pm

JRE with that tim pool dude was worth the listen. (i know, what's the odds of that). In any case, there is a legit point to me made that people mostly feed their own proverbial beast on social media. We for the most part, end up sharing , posting, texting etc. to other like minded folk that we want to outrage and stir up etc. b/c well anger sells and its guaranteed to get more retweets and posts etc. Its like people end up looking on the internet to find anything/everything they can to get pissed about and to solidify their stances. Its not just the "echo chamber" its deeper than that. I love not having facebook, twitter, instagram, snapchat, or strolling through 4chan or reddit. And I actually never meet anyone like what I see on Youtube, ever. The internet has become a complete cesspool. Its a combination of posturing, projecting, and regurgitating misinformation.How long do we have before we are forced to take an online identity / profile and have it tracked indefinitely and in all things?
The good, the true, & the beautiful

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:31 pm

The internet isn't a cesspool.
The internet is anonymous humanity expressing it's rawest form, free from consequence.

That's people you're looking at, right there.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:54 pm

Idk about you but generally speaking I don't ever engage with other actual people " free from consequence ". The internet is a wild west without the usual social parameters that have existed for recorded history. It reaffirms Hobbes if anything.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:55 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:29 pm
JRE with that tim pool dude was worth the listen. (i know, what's the odds of that). In any case, there is a legit point to me made that people mostly feed their own proverbial beast on social media. We for the most part, end up sharing , posting, texting etc. to other like minded folk that we want to outrage and stir up etc. b/c well anger sells and its guaranteed to get more retweets and posts etc. Its like people end up looking on the internet to find anything/everything they can to get pissed about and to solidify their stances. Its not just the "echo chamber" its deeper than that. I love not having facebook, twitter, instagram, snapchat, or strolling through 4chan or reddit. And I actually never meet anyone like what I see on Youtube, ever. The internet has become a complete cesspool. Its a combination of posturing, projecting, and regurgitating misinformation.How long do we have before we are forced to take an online identity / profile and have it tracked indefinitely and in all things?
I have fakebook still, but rarely login and haven't posted in well over a year. The only reason I keep it is I have a bunch of old coworkers and school friends on there I have no other contact with (not that I contact them much anyways). Twitter, snapchat, etc, never saw the point in.

I've said before I avoid politics with my neighbor... if I want to know his views on anything I can just go to CNN ("Orange man bad", "the right are racist Nazi bigots", "oh yeah - and they're everywhere", "conservatives dumb uneducated deplorables", etc). He really should go work for them, he echos every talking point perfectly. :roll:

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:06 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:54 pm
Idk about you but generally speaking I don't ever engage with other actual people " free from consequence ". The internet is a wild west without the usual social parameters that have existed for recorded history. It reaffirms Hobbes if anything.
Yes, that's a good description. It's humanity released from social parameters.
Even me.
I cuss a lot more in person.
:P

And I spend a lot more time just letting shit go.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:27 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:06 pm
And I spend a lot more time just letting shit go.
That's the strangest part to me, IRL I can walk away and pretty much let it go 99% of the time (it's gotta be getting screwed over financially or outright lied to, to my face, to really piss me off - otherwise it's just "a stupid human disagreement over pointless shit").

Somehow online people seem to really hold on to pointless stuff, and get really really upset about the slightest disagreement.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:40 pm

Yes, we're reaffirming Hobbes here. It's a very important mission we are fulfilling.

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:48 pm

Has to be posted now...

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:39 pm

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:48 pm

I hopped in fakebook for the first time in months and someone had reposted something with a picture of a McDs plastic soda cup (with top & straw on it) on a beach... Saying "if you see things like this, take a picture of it and tag the company that is branded on it to shake them".

Yeah, because it's McDs fault...not the asshole that couldn't be bothered to find a garbage can to toss it into...

:roll: :think: :snooty:

One person probably broke a littering law. Hint, it wasn't McDs. I mean do they seriously think that if McDs came up with a 100% biodegradable cup and lid (no straw either) that the idiot wouldn't have just tossed that on the beach anyways? Nope, McDs just be responsible - no personal responsibility for the litterer.