How would modern progressives react to . . .

PartyOf5

Re: How would modern progressives react to . . .

Post by PartyOf5 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:14 am

Maybe this shows just how long the media has been "guiding" us. I thought the tank guy got run over as well. I was young at the time, but that is the memory I have of it.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:20 am

DBTrek wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:32 am
they don’t like law enforcement,
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Which kind of law enforcement?
Quelling Yellowshirt riots?
Dispersing anti-government demonstrations in public squares?
Enforcing government regulations?

Sure, the right these days love some law and order if it is breaking up ''Not my President'' demonstrations. Not so keen when it is arresting public disorder criminals or hate speech warriors.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:29 am

DBTrek wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:32 am
Well, maybe. I see an intense dislike, if not hatred, for traditional America from many on the left. They don’t like the racial makeup of our legislators, they don’t like the distribution of the wealth, they don’t like guns, they don’t like borders, they don’t like law enforcement, they don’t like work ethic, they prefer non-traditional marriages and families ... and so on. You all know the list, I can’t type the whole thing out here.

On the flip side, China makes a lot of the goods they like. China has a strong government that regulates “offensive” speech and wrongthink. China agrees that wealth disparity is evil, and they’ve put strong leaders in charge to make sure things don’t get too “unfair”.

So looking at what’s coming out of colleges today, and Antifa, and run-of-the-mill social media accounts of folks on the left, I have to wonder. They clearly dislike America much more intensely than anyone I knew in the 80s. I don’t know if they like China more or not.

I do know that after 9/11 there was a group of them whose immediate reaction was “Well, we asked for that and we should immediately apologize to Muslims for the wrongs we’ve perpetrated against them for decades”. When you see reactions like that, right in the wake of a national tragedy where bodies are still waiting to be buried, you realize that there’s significant distance between where you thought America was, and where it actually is.
I considered several of the DCF, including DC himself as being part of that "we asked for it" crowd. You still get people who aren't leftists who think if only you got out of the ME, you wouldn't be targets of terrorism or get involved in ME wars. That seems to an idea that shows up here from time to time, too.

I think your apparant assumption that it would logically follow that because they don't like traditional America, that they would be more likely to cheer on the Chinese tanks is.... thin. It assumes that everyone that falls within the umbrella of "Leftist" feels the same about more or less everything. Well, you are what... classically liberal, some light form of libertarian? Yet, while I bet we can find alot of progressives who think there is no ideological, philosophical or political difference between your views and nuke's or StA's, citing that you're all "The Right", I've been around this place long enough to see you and StA and nuke differ on several subjects. Even when you agree about some thing being a problem, you often disagree the best solution. Just like there's a considerable difference between a reactionary who dreams of warrior aristocracy and a classical liberal even if they're both "The Right", it's safe to assume that there's a difference between a Maoist and a progressive, liberal Democrat on "The Left".

Again, however, I think if you made up a story, and spread it around to some (young) college students, where the Chinese bag-man fits whatever Super Evil Stereotype would best rope progressives in... I suspect it wouldn't be hard. Lots of YT vids interviewing US college kids do show them to be incredibly clueless about geography and history, and it would be fun to see. But if they were given the true story behind it... nah, I don't think it follows that because they hate traditional American values, that they must therefore love Chinese Communism. Actual Communists would defend it at least to some extent, though, even knowing the story.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:00 pm

All right, well consensus seems to be my concerns are unfounded. Hopefully this time you all are right and I’m wrong. That would be a nice change.
:P
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:21 pm

You were not wrong.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:21 pm
You were not wrong.
+1

Plenty of examples.

Stalin didn't starve people it was a Famine, very few are hungry. Look at P Prize winner Walter Duranty reported in the NY Times about the Holodomar.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:05 pm

Also, the PRC is a major customer of our MSM. They spend a lot of money on full page ads, and now you even see NYT writers pushing PRC propaganda on the regular pages.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:09 pm

The PRC is balls deep in Hollywoods backside too.

Remember how they stopped the Red Dawn remake and forced them to change the invaders from the Chinese to the NorKs
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:24 pm

I heard on the Fifth Column Podcast that China is doing good stuff in the American media.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:47 pm

Most charismatic philanthropist!
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen