Barack Obama's Legacy -- How strong of a President is he historically?

TheReal_ND

Re: Barack Obama's Legacy -- How strong of a President is he historically?

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:17 pm

brewster wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:02 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:50 pm
Obama Lied… ‘Chevy Volt’ Died
Six years ago, President Barack Obama promised to buy a Chevy Volt after his presidency...……….

Now it looks like Obama will not get his chance to make good on the promise. General Motors announced Monday that it would cease production of the hybrid electric plug-in Volt and its gas-powered sister car the Cruze. The announcement came as part of a larger restructuring by the car company as it seeks to focus production around the bigger vehicles in favor with U.S. consumers.
The Volt and the Cruze were two of the signature achievements of the partnership between the Obama administration and General Motors following the auto-industry bailout.

http://tammybruce.com/2018/11/sad-story ... -died.html
The reason the Volt was not a success is another Obama success, the expansion of the US fracking industry dropping the price of fuel through the floor. Had oil stayed at $100/bbl people would be clamoring for electric cars.

Perhaps. The other problem there is the fact that it costs nearly a quarter million dollars to manufacture which was subsidized entirely minus the price tag of 40k. Hey, good gig if you can get it.

Also I am repeating myself at this point but fracking is cost intensive and the only reason fracking booms is because it becomes profitable when the price of oil is above 90.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:20 pm

210K could get you a pretty good house in the midwest and the south. That's a lot of money to lose for making a single faggy electric car...
Shikata ga nai

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:21 pm

And the kicker? After we bailed them out they turned around and opened factories in China. Just lol. Thanks?

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:24 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:21 pm
And the kicker? After we bailed them out they turned around and opened factories in China. Just lol. Thanks?
Electric cars are a waste of electricity. The only gayer use of would be plugging in a 5 disc changer loaded up with cyndi lauper and pet shop boys.
Shikata ga nai

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:26 pm

I'm as environmentally concerned as anyone so as such, I should recommend against shoving plastic dragon dildos into your ass. Bad for the environment, let alone your health.

brewster

Post by brewster » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:28 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:17 pm
Perhaps. The other problem there is the fact that it costs nearly a quarter million dollars to manufacture which was subsidized entirely minus the price tag of 40k. Hey, good gig if you can get it.

Also I am repeating myself at this point but fracking is cost intensive and the only reason fracking booms is because it becomes profitable when the price of oil is above 90.
Can you link to data on that cost? Seems unlikely, Toyota has been selling hybrids profitably for a while now. As for fracking, I have no problem conceding there's all sort of problems there, but US production HAS driven down prices. I am surprised there's no Peak Oil discussions here. I follow James Howard Kunstler who has been on about peak oil for a long, long time. He has had guests on his podcast who say the whole fracking boom is a banking scam, the only reason it keeps going is investors keep pouring borrowed money in. They say the wells dry up so fast the profits aren't there.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:30 pm

Electricity is the way of the past. Shit we were doing shit with electricity long before even the first Model T hit the market. Its actually older tech than petroleum. If anything, Greens should be looking forward. Electric cars? Boring ass Thomas Autist Edison shit. Dark Matter powered cars? That sounds cool, lets invent that. You know they won't though. Not as long as these Republicans Energy companies keep shelving the dark matter engine patents.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:32 pm

This one says that two years later 2012, the company got the price down to a measly $89000, making it affordable to even the poorest bankers.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-gene ... 4J20120910

Seems like a great deal for the company and the taxpayers. With the straw ban added to this, we should be seeing an awfully clean planet soon enough.
Shikata ga nai

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:25 pm

brewster wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:28 pm
TheReal_ND wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:17 pm

Can you link to data on that cost? Seems unlikely, Toyota has been selling hybrids profitably for a while now. As for fracking, I have no problem conceding there's all sort of problems there, but US production HAS driven down prices. I am surprised there's no Peak Oil discussions here. I follow James Howard Kunstler who has been on about peak oil for a long, long time. He has had guests on his podcast who say the whole fracking boom is a banking scam, the only reason it keeps going is investors keep pouring borrowed money in. They say the wells dry up so fast the profits aren't there.

Fracking does very little to drive down oil prices. That is all done via Saudi Arabia unilaterally or otherwise. I dont feel like repeating myself for the nth time the refining costs between tar sand and sweet crude or the shelf life of oil.

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:41 pm

It seems to me fracking doesn’t drive the price down so much as it puts a cap on how much they/opec can drive the price up.

They really don’t have the power to make oil $100 unless we let them.

They really shouldn’t have much oil blackmail ability any more....