The Politics & Philosophy of Watchmen

GloryofGreece

The Politics & Philosophy of Watchmen

Post by GloryofGreece » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:14 am

Great conversation about one of few deep comic books/graphic novels that were made into a movie. If Richard Spencer just did film review it wouldn't be a wasted life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TawNk7HZbsM
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Martin Hash

Re: The Politics & Philosophy of Watchmen

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:26 am

Watchmen is currently my favorite movie; has been since it came out. ("Outlaw Josie Wales" was my favorite before that.) Richard Spencer's intellectual problem is that he's smart but about 10 IQ points away from self-awareness.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:33 am

My "religion" is based on coincidence. There is too much damn coincidence even accounting for the unimaginable amount of simultaneous events that occur. I don't have an answer for that, and I will be considering it for the rest of my life I suppose. (If I figure it out, I'll put the answer in my Philosophy book and let you know.)

Here's the coincidence:
My oldest son, Heath, had just turned 8 years old. It was his birthday and I took him to a comic book shop near my office. Comic books were a big part of my young life, starting about his age, and I wanted him to get going as soon as possible because comic fandom runs out rather quickly. In the shop was issue 3 of "Dark Knight," and issue 1 of "Watchmen." I knew squat about either of them but the cover art was dark, and they were in the graphic novel format that wasn't around when I was a fan. I bought them for myself and got Heath started on X-Men. OMG! Those two comics were GREAT! Better than anything I read as a kid; but then again, I wouldn't have understood them as a kid. Comics were for adults now, or at least 30-year olds. (My age at the time.) When the movie came out, it had a preview in Seattle before opening day, but by then I'd be overseas, so I drove my wife, Gwynne, up to the only Seattle theater showing it. There was a huge crowd. We all cheered during the film. It was AWESOME! (Then I was gone for 9 years.)

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:02 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:26 am
Watchmen is currently my favorite movie; has been since it came out. ("Outlaw Josie Wales" was my favorite before that.) Richard Spencer's intellectual problem is that he's smart but about 10 IQ points away from self-awareness.
Why is it your favorite movie?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:04 pm

I like it because the characters serve as a kind of archetype. There is the archetype we project (the mask) and the one we really are. I for instance project something somewhat like the Comedian, but really I am more like the Owl.

I think the writers knew that, which is why the characters would bleed into one another in their interactions. The riot scene where Owl and Comedian are arguing about what the fuck happened goes on in my head almost every day when I witness some pozzed shit in my social environment.

Daralon may be my homie from back in the hood, but while he projects this Owl persona, deep down he is just the Comedian.

Martin projects Ozy, but I am unsure what is going on behind the mask.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:10 pm

Moral ambiguity; all of the motivations can be understood from the POV of the participants without judgment. Plus, the story is very mysterious: I couldn’t tell who the killer was until it was revealed.

Interestingly, the weakest part of the story was the terrible ending. Snyder’s ending was PERFECT. An absolute save.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:11 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:10 pm
Moral ambiguity; all of the motivations can be understood from the POV of the participants without judgment. Plus, the story is very mysterious: I couldn’t tell who the killer was until it was revealed.

Interestingly, the weakest part of the story was the terrible ending. Snyder’s ending was PERFECT. An absolute save.
Yeah, the conflicting moral systems was really great.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:50 pm

Never was a comics guy, I haven't seen Watchmen...………. maybe I should.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:50 pm

Both the graphic novel and the movie were complete shit.
Shikata ga nai

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:50 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:50 pm
Both the graphic novel and the movie were complete shit.
How dare you!