Joe Rogan (JRE)

heydaralon

Re: Joe Rogan (JRE)

Post by heydaralon » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:37 am

GloryofGreece wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:11 am
TheReal_ND wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:07 pm
Intriguing. I wish I was as euradite as half this forum so I could have something to screed about more often. I would say that my limited knowledge of Gnosticism, (I'm a huge PKD fan and listen to a gnostic podcast sometimes,) has at its core a breaking of the cycle. The universe is a Matrix or "simulation" as some people would have it. Meh. Whatever. I like me some mysticism.
Are you a Christian or Gnostic? You have plenty to type about. If you listened to Myth of the 20th Century podcast with any regularity then that alone means you have tons to talk about!
GoG:I'm not really into Jung or knowledgable but didn't he believe in Gnostic stuff?
Shikata ga nai

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:43 am

heydaralon wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:37 am
GloryofGreece wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:
Intriguing. I wish I was as euradite as half this forum so I could have something to screed about more often. I would say that my limited knowledge of Gnosticism, (I'm a huge PKD fan and listen to a gnostic podcast sometimes,) has at its core a breaking of the cycle. The universe is a Matrix or "simulation" as some people would have it. Meh. Whatever. I like me some mysticism.
Are you a Christian or Gnostic? You have plenty to type about. If you listened to Myth of the 20th Century podcast with any regularity then that alone means you have tons to talk about!
GoG:I'm not really into Jung or knowledgable but didn't he believe in Gnostic stuff?
Yes he was. But he was also very very concerned about being respected as a "scientist". He was a physician with a medical degree from the prestigious university etc. etc. Jung was trying to reconcile religion with science. In my opinion he failed just like Peterson will fail in that regard. It doesn't need to reconciled. They are different domains for different purposes.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:32 am

GloryofGreece wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:43 am
heydaralon wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:

Yes he was. But he was also very very concerned about being respected as a "scientist". He was a physician with a medical degree from the prestigious university etc. etc. Jung was trying to reconcile religion with science. In my opinion he failed just like Peterson will fail in that regard. It doesn't need to reconciled. They are different domains for different purposes.
That is what Freud tried to do as well. He attempted his entire career to make Psychoanalysm a belief system and a scientific system. Sometimes he would describe himself as a scientist, sometimes a spiritual Conquistador. Whatever the faults of these two men in terms of the value of their systems, they were at least honest enough to recognize the difficulty in reconciling these issues. Many social scientists and thinkers today are too ignorant of the fact that their ideas are religious ones, and mistake them for scientific ones. Neil DeGrasse Tyson jumps to mind immediately. He thinks that his shitty ass theories on politics and society are cutting edge, when to me they look like very cheap imitations of Logical Positivism.

Also, I am not an expert on Peterson, though I have listened to a few of his lectures and like a lot of what he has to say. I have seen many people online in comments sections or from interviews saying that he fundamentally misunderstands aspects of Jung or is getting them wrong on purpose to sell a product. Do you feel like Peterson is misrepresenting him? I don't know enough about Jung's beliefs to weigh in.
Shikata ga nai

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:44 am

heydaralon wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:32 am
GloryofGreece wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:43 am
heydaralon wrote:

That is what Freud tried to do as well. He attempted his entire career to make Psychoanalysm a belief system and a scientific system. Sometimes he would describe himself as a scientist, sometimes a spiritual Conquistador. Whatever the faults of these two men in terms of the value of their systems, they were at least honest enough to recognize the difficulty in reconciling these issues. Many social scientists and thinkers today are too ignorant of the fact that their ideas are religious ones, and mistake them for scientific ones. Neil DeGrasse Tyson jumps to mind immediately. He thinks that his shitty ass theories on politics and society are cutting edge, when to me they look like very cheap imitations of Logical Positivism.

Also, I am not an expert on Peterson, though I have listened to a few of his lectures and like a lot of what he has to say. I have seen many people online in comments sections or from interviews saying that he fundamentally misunderstands aspects of Jung or is getting them wrong on purpose to sell a product. Do you feel like Peterson is misrepresenting him? I don't know enough about Jung's beliefs to weigh in.
I am no expert either. I have listened to his public lectures on personality and mythology from 2013-2017. I have listened to more than I care to admit of his JRE conversations and his "debates" w/ Harris etc. I've read Jung and his best students Neuman and Von Franz etc. Peterson is an amelioration of Freud/Jung/Piaget/Dostoevsky/Kierkegaard/Heidegger and his own upbringing like everyone else. He is deeply influenced by Jung probably more than any other thinker. Above everything else he is a clinical psychologist. And try as he might to be balanced his ideas and values are skewed toward the individual above all else.

I would be foolish and wrong to try to glean his inner thoughts and motivations. I am inclined to believe he is authentic and genuinely wants to help others. Is he flawed? Yes but so what? Does he make money? Yes, but everyone has to play that game. He isn't trying to be Saint or a Catholic. He's trying to promote merit based hierarchies and freedom of speech. And he's trying to express the importance of values and mythology.

I can safely say he is very disciplined and very driven. Peterson knows his Jungian psychology and his Psychodynamic psychotherapy. Its amazing he's off SSRIs and that he's gained enormous popularity.

I do not think you can truly glean the meaningfulness of the Bible and the ethics behind Christendom without embracing Christianity. That is all.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:49 am

TheReal_ND wrote:
I think its been a bit of curse for myself really. I am obsessed with ideas and theory etc. Its too much and it doesn't mean I'm good or better than anyone else. It means I fetishize abstractions. I'm given to sloth and leisure. This pulling away from teh body is not in alignment or harmonious. I have to get out of my head and away from the clouds.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:52 am

GloryofGreece wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:49 am
TheReal_ND wrote:
I think its been a bit of curse for myself really. I am obsessed with ideas and theory etc. Its too much and it doesn't mean I'm good or better than anyone else. It means I fetishize abstractions. I'm given to sloth and leisure. This pulling away from teh body is not in alignment or harmonious. I have to get out of my head and away from the clouds.
You'll just end up buying a Corvette and leaving your wife - stay in the clouds.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:38 am

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:14 am

Never know what your going to hear on Joe Rogan
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:19 am

Terrible advice.

The fault in her logic is that you can't tell her how to fix her poor technique, so she is not going to get better at it.

Also, I think chicks who don't like to give blowjobs are maladapted, genetically. If you think about it, our hominid ancestors did this shit because they had a better sense of taste and smell and did it to check for infidelity. Evolution made us like giving oral for a reason. This is why you don't really want to go down on a chick in a casual encounter but you definitely want to with your good woman.

Lastly, there is no way to avoid knowing if you do it right or terribly. If a chick does it well, then the dude is going to blast off. If you do it well on the chick, she's gonna squirt. If those things don't happen, then work on your program.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:53 pm

dis should be good lol