Wilderness Survival

Hastur

Re: Wilderness Survival

Post by Hastur » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:07 am

Improvised bow

and arrows

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:49 pm

I get the practicality but it really rubs me the wrong way seeing that stuff as a traditional archery enthusiast. I would rather see some primitive bow stuff than *ugh* plastic. Not going to lie.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:06 am

I that case you might enjoy this one instead.

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:35 pm

Hastur wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:06 am

Are you allowed to eat whales in Sweden?
Shikata ga nai

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:26 pm

Hey, You. Quit asking about whales and get back to working on that bow drill til you master it.

Hows that going anyway ?
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:31 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:26 pm
Hey, You. Quit asking about whales and get back to working on that bow drill til you master it.

Hows that going anyway ?
Man, I fucking shredded the fireboard and dulled the drill stick without any serious heat or smoke. It has been raining near me from this storm for the past few days so I think the wood has been getting water in it. I have watched about 6 videos on this, and those dudes make it look easy. I have some flint and a knife, so if this doesn't pan out soon, I may have to start with that, because it is easier than the drill. Aboriginies can do this shit, but I can't yet. I will figure it out eventually though.
Shikata ga nai

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:16 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:31 pm
C-Mag wrote:

Hows that going anyway ?
Man, I fucking shredded the fireboard and dulled the drill stick without any serious heat or smoke. It has been raining near me from this storm for the past few days so I think the wood has been getting water in it. I have watched about 6 videos on this, and those dudes make it look easy. I have some flint and a knife, so if this doesn't pan out soon, I may have to start with that, because it is easier than the drill. Aboriginies can do this shit, but I can't yet. I will figure it out eventually though.

Keep after it. It takes about 10,000 repetitions to master a skill, but only about 300 to be able to learn a skill.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:14 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:31 pm
C-Mag wrote:

Hows that going anyway ?
If you can figure out a way to do it with an up and down hand motion instead it might be easier for you.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:18 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:35 pm
Hastur wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:06 am

Are you allowed to eat whales in Sweden?
I actually don’t know. We usually don’t have any to hunt and it’s not part of our cousin. Nothing would stop anyone from going to Norway, buy some and then go home and eat it with our open borders.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:13 pm

I have heard whale tastes fishy. I would love to try it tbh. Same with dolphin and seal. That blubber looks amazing.

I picked up an extra shift today, and I need the money, so Sunday will be my next day off to attempt more fire-starting survival stuff. I have a small wooded area in my yard, which is next to a swamp, so after I get this fire stuff on lockdown I am going to make a shelter in my backyard. It is cooling off here slowly but surely, so I may bring a sleeping bag outside and test it out overnight. In boy scouts we had a few campouts where we made survival shelters out of wood, moss and palm fronds and slept in them over the weekend. Its strictly a real ass nigga affair though, so many of you guys would not be cool enough to attempt that.
Shikata ga nai