History on Fire: Joan of Arc / Hundred Years War

Hastur

Re: History on Fire: Joan of Arc / Hundred Years War

Post by Hastur » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:32 am

And they still hold Gibraltar. Small enclaves with a port don't count.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:53 am

DB said that about 40% of French Nobility was slain at Agincourt...that's insane. The amount of human capital alone is astounding.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

katarn

Post by katarn » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:58 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:56 pm
katarn wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:47 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:14 am
Any normal country when a young girl hears voices in her head she is treated as the nutter she clearly is and kept away from any important decision making.
In France they put her at the head of the army, follow her into battle and eventually make her a Saint.
No wonder the snail eaters are so rubbish at war... ;)
For being rubbish at war, they managed to kick you lot off the continent that time. ;)
Eventually, after 80 years of losing battle after battle.
Wasn't god or Joan that finally got rid of us either, it was the development of bloody canons making castles obsolete.
Ah yes, because the established scriptures of the Church made castles obsolete. Words of light melting the hearth of stone? :D .

In a more serious reply, yeah. Ironic though, isn't it, that the English campaign containing Crecy is one of if not the earliest use of cannons in Europe, yet the English used cannons and guns less than the French who adopted them later? Just like the war in general, talk about not following through.
Too bad I really prefer the English side of that whole war though-- it makes this more a charade for humor than an argument.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:02 am

GloryofGreece wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:35 pm
Best book sources I could find so far believe it or not Twain's comes highly recommended.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/19744 ... 0DER&psc=1

and modern scholarship with this one
https://www.amazon.com/Joan-Arc-Story-R ... 8&qid=&sr=
The Twain book is not bad. I'm not sure that Bolelli understands that it is a novel, either.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:35 am

Fife wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:02 am
GloryofGreece wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:35 pm
Best book sources I could find so far believe it or not Twain's comes highly recommended.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/19744 ... 0DER&psc=1

and modern scholarship with this one
https://www.amazon.com/Joan-Arc-Story-R ... 8&qid=&sr=
The Twain book is not bad. I'm not sure that Bolelli understands that it is a novel, either.
hahaha. What does he think it is then?

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:39 am

IDK, just going off his quote in the episode, attributing a quote from a character in a novel directly to the author of the novel.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:45 am

To be fair for, example "Gates of Fire" by Pressfield is a novel that is essentially historical. Meaning the author did the research and as a bonus knows how to write well and tell a great story.

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:17 am

GloryofGreece wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:45 am
To be fair for, example "Gates of Fire" by Pressfield is a novel that is essentially historical. Meaning the author did the research and as a bonus knows how to write well and tell a great story.
True enough. May we attribute a quote from a character in Gates of Fire directly to Pressfield as his personal opinion in a separate historical essay?

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:27 am

Fife wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:17 am
GloryofGreece wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:45 am
True enough. May we attribute a quote from a character in Gates of Fire directly to Pressfield as his personal opinion in a separate historical essay?
I'm not arguing that its accurate, a good idea, or scholarly. Simply that some historical novels are good sources even if for inspiration and to set the tone.

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:31 am

I'm being a bit picky, and I've liked Bolelli a long time, and still do. I've even corresponded with him via snail mail once (about HOF when it was still a concept, as a sidebar to the primary reason we were chatting). However, we are talking about history.

I'd just like things to be a bit more tight. Not very many people have read Twain's Joan book, I'll wager. That aside in the episode is certain to give people an imprecise impression of the book and Twain; and might even make them less likely to check it out. I wouldn't want that, and I bet Bolelli doesn't either, if he were to think about it.