Speaker to Animals

Re: Social Justice Warriors Thread

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:02 pm

It's getting ridiculous.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:02 pm

<deleted>
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:24 pm

Let me reiterate: this forum can NOT be a drag on my ambitions.

Out of 100 people, 90 don’t care what I do, 9 hate my work, and 1 likes it. That 1% is easily overwhelmed by haters. This forum has 200 members, the odds are 2 will like my work. I was getting only hate so I discontinued posting my podcasts but ONE guy said he liked them so I started again. Then he died and I was going to stop posting them when ANOTHER guy (DB) said he liked them so I kept them up. I notice there’s always 3 or 4 reads, do there’s probably 1 other person who likes them, maybe a Guest. You other 198, you’ll just have to put up with them.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:32 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:24 pm

Out of 100 people, 90 don’t care what I do, 9 hate my work, and 1 likes it. That 1% is easily overwhelmed by haters. This forum has 200 members, the odds are 2 will like my work. I was getting only hate so I discontinued posting my podcasts but ONE guy said he liked them so I started again. Then he died and I was going to stop posting them when ANOTHER guy (DB) said he liked them so I kept them up. I notice there’s always 3 or 4 reads, do there’s probably 1 other person who likes them, maybe a Guest. You other 198, you’ll just have to put up with them.
I will confess that I haven't listened to many of your podcasts, but I have never walked away from one hating you or the content. They have the benefit of being succinct and to the point. I don't always agree with your ideas, but I think it is interesting to hear the perspective of a Democrat who seems to support at least parts of Trump. It is a strange paradox. You are probably over-estimating the amount of people who dislike you. How did you arrive at those numbers? Do you get a lot of hatemail that you are not sharing with us? You mentioned that you got some in the past. I still think you should share it with the forum, and simply redact any names or personal info of the senders. I would be interested in the feedback you get from non forum members. It is easy to forget sometimes that this forum doesn't represent the majority of America, certainly not of liberal America.
Shikata ga nai

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:35 pm

I like them. I subscribe to the feed and listen to all of them. I sometimes go to the forum posting as well to comment or a second listen.
I also bought your book. Haven't read it yet. Im almost audio book only due to time constraints these days.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:56 pm

Hastur wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:35 pm
I like them. I subscribe to the feed and listen to all of them. I sometimes go to the forum posting as well to comment or a second listen.
I also bought your book. Haven't read it yet. Im almost audio book only due to time constraints these days.
Wow! My first fan beside my mom. (Except she quit listening sometime in Season 2.)

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:00 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:32 pm
Martin Hash wrote:

I will confess that I haven't listened to many of your podcasts, but I have never walked away from one hating you or the content. They have the benefit of being succinct and to the point. I don't always agree with your ideas, but I think it is interesting to hear the perspective of a Democrat who seems to support at least parts of Trump. It is a strange paradox. You are probably over-estimating the amount of people who dislike you. How did you arrive at those numbers? Do you get a lot of hatemail that you are not sharing with us? You mentioned that you got some in the past. I still think you should share it with the forum, and simply redact any names or personal info of the senders. I would be interested in the feedback you get from non forum members. It is easy to forget sometimes that this forum doesn't represent the majority of America, certainly not of liberal America.
I think the 1:100 number is close. Maybe the "constructive criticism" people aren't 9:1 but somewhere around there.

p.s. I haven't gotten any hatemail since I lost in the Primary. Never did get lovemail.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:13 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:00 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:32 pm
Martin Hash wrote:

I think the 1:100 number is close. Maybe the "constructive criticism" people aren't 9:1 but somewhere around there.

p.s. I haven't gotten any hatemail since I lost in the Primary. Never did get lovemail.
Well, let me ask you something:

Is there a person, living or dead, that you believe utterly encapsulates your ideas? Is there someone that you agree with on more than 99% of topics? There are a few people in my life that I really really look up to and always pay attention to what they say. A couple are people I know, a few are authors (1 alive a few dead) and there are a few online who I talk to but never met. As much as I respect these people and appreciate them, I do not line up with them on everything. I often will respectfully disagree, while still observing their knowledge and wisdom is probably more expansive than mine. So when you say that only 1 in 100 likes you, I think that is a dishonest metric, because each person is composed of hundreds of opinions and ideas. Fundamentally I believe that most people have a few "core" ideas in their mind that supercede the smaller ones, and these core ideas drive them. I have not met anyone that shares all my "core" ideas, but if I could draw a Venn diagram there are many people that overlap with me in each individual idea that I feel strongly about.

I am doing a shitty job explaining this, but I think you are thinking about this wrong. You are putting yourself entirely out there, and basing your popularity on the metric of people agreeing with you in toto. That does not happen in the real world outside of maybe a cult. You have plenty of good ideas, and I'm sure that far more than 1 in 100 people would be able to be persuaded by them. Additionally, you don't need to sell people on your entire package. If you can get a few interested people with this idea, or a few more with this idea, etc, you will still have a large group that respects you and listens to you, without complete agreement. I don't know how this would affect your self marketing, but perhaps play to it that way.

This post is a jumbled pile of shit, and I apologize, but I think you should be more focused on selling your ideas, than selling yourself. If you sell your ideas and make them popular, people will naturally be interested in you.
Shikata ga nai

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:17 pm

Dude, the 1:100 number is just a fame-worthiness scale. Hastur and DB think there's a good chance I could be famous if people just learned about me. 99 people don't.

p.s. Fame for what I've already done, not some speculation of things I could do.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:28 pm

deleting posts will only grow the number of haters you have