What To Do About Unions?

Martin Hash

Re: What To Do About Unions?

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:12 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:00 pm
Social media can’t prevent incompetent workers from being fired.
Unions can.
If the goal is tenure then I'm definitely against unions in any form.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

brewster

Post by brewster » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:59 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:12 pm
DBTrek wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:00 pm
Social media can’t prevent incompetent workers from being fired.
Unions can.
If the goal is tenure then I'm definitely against unions in any form.
I agree, but don't you think that's a symptom of the kind of overreach that emerges whenever you give someone power? There's got be somewhere between tenure and being able to be fired for not fucking the boss or not shutting up about the hazardous conditions. Hash, have you ever in your life worked a job that was dirty? I've spend my career working with my hands, and seen all sorts of hazardous work environments, both physical and mental.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:24 pm

I worked on a ranch for a few summers before I could drive then hauled hay one season. Did mechanics and auto body for a couple years. Still got rental houses, and do repairs.

brewster

Post by brewster » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:33 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:24 pm
I worked on a ranch for a few summers before I could drive then hauled hay one season. Did mechanics and auto body for a couple years. Still got rental houses, and do repairs.
OK then. I don't know a lot about farmwork, but how would you deal with a bodyshop boss who wanted you to work with Bondo but refused to give you a respirator or rubber gloves? And you couldn't afford to walk away? I had a similar situation, but I was only 20 and could walk away. This prick loved to talk about how he used to work in the auto industry and how shitty the unions were to deal with.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:47 pm

brewster wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:33 pm
I had a similar situation, but I was only 20 and could walk away.
What was your exact situation?

At 20, I would wonder what pussy needs a respirator and rubber gloves to do a patch job. At present age, I still think that unless you are talking about the dust from sanding then a mask would be called for.

brewster

Post by brewster » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:02 pm

Haumana wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:47 pm
brewster wrote:

At 20, I would wonder what pussy needs a respirator and rubber gloves to do a patch job. At present age, I still think that unless you are talking about the dust from sanding then a mask would be called for.
I guess at 20 and today you have no idea the dangers of working full time with polyester resins and solvent. In fact my exact situation was spraying lacquer on diesel primer pumps in a crappy old vent hood, no gloves, no respirator, even no barrier cream. They had to be hand held. I was told to use paint stripper to clean my hands at the end of the day. The alcoholic old fuck who told me to do that laughed and said "try not get any cuts or you're regret it!"

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:06 pm

brewster wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:02 pm
Haumana wrote:
brewster wrote:

I guess at 20 and today you have no idea the dangers of working full time with polyester resins and solvent. In fact my exact situation was spraying lacquer on diesel primer pumps in a crappy old vent hood, no gloves, no respirator, even no barrier cream. They had to be hand held. I was told to use paint stripper to clean my hands at the end of the day. The alcoholic old fuck who told me to do that laughed and said "try not get any cuts or you're regret it!"
Spraying lacquer is nothing like using bondo. How long did you do it for?

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:07 pm

brewster wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:02 pm
Haumana wrote:
brewster wrote:

I'm pretty sure there was no union opportunity there.

p.s. I think I worked for that guy too?

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:14 pm

And all the complaining is why you sissies don’t work for me now! So s’cuse me cuz I’m off to laquer my own bondo vent-hood just as soon as I finish off this 5th of black label. I’ll be applying all treatments by hand, just the way yer momma likes it.
Buuuuurp!
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:16 pm

Never been in a union. Forced picketing sounds kind of shitty, honestly. Bring your own weed, I guess, but you know those mothers fuckers will demand you redistribute your fair share.