Social Justice Warriors Thread

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Social Justice Warriors Thread

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:03 pm

Currently taking (testing out of) online courses for a higher degree, to bypass the HR screens.

It's entirely possible to work hard, and still note the brokenness of our system.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:11 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:29 am
Martin Hash wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:25 am
DBTrek wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:23 am
Small business optimism surges to highest level ever, topping previous record under Reagan
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/11/small-b ... -ever.html

U.S. job openings climb to record 6.9 million
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-jo ... 2018-09-11

U.S. weekly jobless claims drop to near 49-year low
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1LM1RC

... and people were still talking doom & gloom in the midst of these headlines - carrying on like the 2008 housing bubble just crashed. That’s how you spot a political religion. The times change, but their rhetoric and dogma never does.

It can’t. It’s faith based, not fact based.
/shrug
You're not really saying this can continue, R U? This shit's going to explode, bigly.
Just watch the finger-pointing when it does. This will be Peak Schadenfreude.
But he doesn't want it to happen. Sure.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:12 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:03 pm
It's entirely possible to work hard, and still note the brokenness of our system.
Dude, that is so true. It's a Lucktocracy. You're just buying more lottery tickets with no guarantee of winning. Still, you do what you can do.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:12 pm

clubgop wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:11 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:25 am

You're not really saying this can continue, R U? This shit's going to explode, bigly.
The only way the system changes is through collapse. I'm cautiously optimistic that some sort of 'cleansing' of corruption can accompany the next one. It's really our only chance.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:13 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:03 pm
Currently taking (testing out of) online courses for a higher degree, to bypass the HR screens.

Leveraging the system while calling it broken, but knowing it’s not really broken because I’m actively using its precepts to advance, but calling it broken anyway.
-GCF

Right on.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:14 pm

I want the bubbles to go on as long as possible. We're way past "do it now or it will be worse later." I want my grandkids born, and all my projects finished, but that's probably not going to happen...

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:17 pm

I want the bubbles to continue because there's also a chance that we'll discover anti-gravity, or eternal youth, or FTL travel, or fusion, or something which changes the paradigm and cures everything.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:19 pm

Pretty sure EM drive works. We might already be there.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:13 pm

Ph64 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:35 am
The Conservative wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:52 am
DBTrek wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:40 am

More companies dropping college degree requirement for new hires
https://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-fi ... -new-hires
(More people getting in the door without degrees)

The many people I know advancing in their careers all pursue advanced and continuing education/training. Those I know who are going nowhere almost universally believe that effort doesn’t matter, there are only elite and poor, etc.

Seems to be a self fulfilling prophecy in my experience. People who try will eventually succeed. People who complain, blame, and deflect simply stagnate.
/shrug
It's about time, I've said for a long time degrees are pieces of paper in most instances in where it shows you can pass a test... I've known too many IT experts that have nearly all the alphabet soup under their belt but still can't do simple stuff...

I still remember asking a guy who had his degree, and over a dozen certifications, why he couldn't do a simple start network. He said that it wasn't taught in school...

Do I really need to say it, but overly educated people except in key fields, are not required. It is better to get someone off the street, train them and use them accordingly. (Pay is good too)
For one of my old jobs (90s) we interviewed two people for an open position, we used Novell networking at the time so that was a requirement. First guy had a degree and a resume full of certs (including Novell), we asked him how he'd setup permissions on 3 directories, one group has access to A&B, 2nd to B&C, 3rd to A&C... He was clueless. Next guy was ex-military (Army) with a HS diploma and 4 years of actual hands on experience - he nailed it after a couple minutes to think it through.

Back in 2000 at a small .com I was at they interviewed for a Unix admin (Solaris & Linux). They hired this guy who had several years as a Unix admin at a medical device company. First week on the job he's asked to change some passwords on a Solaris box... "Where's the GUI?" - he had no idea how to operate at a Unix command line. (We were laughing at that for days, called him "Waldo" behind his back - aka "Where's Waldo?"). The next week he had to reboot a critical machine (pipeline for all the online orders)... He noticed there was an extra tape drive on the box, a broken old DAT drive nobody had bothered to remove, so he removed it and did a "reboot -r"... Which reconfigured the hardware and made the good DLT drive /dev/rmt0 (the DAT was 0, the DLT was 1) and when backups kicked off that night... Well, let's just say there wasn't enough disk space for a huge file in /dev called "rmt1", filled the disk and took out order fulfillment for several hours. He was walked out the door the next day - didn't even make it two weeks.

My last job we had a team of guys in India the boss insisted we give work to. I had an install of this canned app that needed installing (new version), I had done it the first time - just un-tar a big directory tree (on 3 machines) and tweak two XML files for IP, database string & user/password, etc. FOUR HOURS LATER he disappears offline - I ask one of the other offshore guys if he'd finished it - "no idea, know nothing about it". No turnover to the next shift, he just walked out the door and went home. I tried starting the app one one machine, errors all over... I look at the XML file for the database info... (I'll use parens instead of angle brackets)

(username)CHANGEME(/username)

Became....

(DBuser)CHANGEME(/username)

...this was a graduate of India Tech. :roll:

Not knowing what he had done, and by then it was 3pm and the boss had promised the "customer" we'd have it for them by 5, I just nuked it all, un-tar'd it fresh, and did it right... In 45 minutes flat for all 3 machines.

He didn't last long. I told the boss we should just get a couple of U.S. high school graduates with some basic computer skills and train them, we'd be far better off for probably the same price. (Of course not, the company mandated we outsource to indithe). Honestly the job was typically made harder by the offshore crew (with maybe 3 exception over the decade I was there, a few really good ones).

My personal experience the degree doesn't matter, you either know what you're doing or you dont. At least 50% of the people I've interviewed over the years with a degree and certs... didn't. :think:
That last one made me cringe.
#NotOneRedCent

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:01 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:12 pm
clubgop wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:11 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

The only way the system changes is through collapse. I'm cautiously optimistic that some sort of 'cleansing' of corruption can accompany the next one. It's really our only chance.
"I don't understand primaries so the whole system is corrupt, it all must be destroyed." Got it