Social Justice Warriors Thread

Martin Hash

Re: Social Justice Warriors Thread

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:58 pm

High Progressive taxation spreads out wages.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:00 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:53 pm
If the choice is between government run Make-Work jobs, and private employer shit jobs, I’m going with employers.
It's more like the choice between a smaller percentage of people in some government job program, and a much larger group of people as working poor and tax payers subsidizing their jobs via welfare (and their numbers are growing rather than fixed to low IQ rates).

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:08 pm

Dude, there’s 100 million unemployed people now and that’s not counting “not living wage” jobs. This can’t be done by government.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:12 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:08 pm
Dude, there’s 100 million unemployed people now and that’s not counting “not living wage” jobs. This can’t be done by government.
It's being done by government right now! Taxpayers subsidize jobs, and it fucking grows each year.

Providing assistance to working Americans is a really fucking bad policy.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:20 pm

Why does anyone even work at Walmart or Amazon for low wage jobs? Because there aren’t any other jobs! Don’t you know how Market Forces work?

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:21 pm

Taxpayers are footing the bill no matter what. High Progressive taxation ensures those who benefit from exploitation have to pay for it.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:30 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:20 pm
Why does anyone even work at Walmart or Amazon for low wage jobs? Because there aren’t any other jobs! Don’t you know how Market Forces work?
Ding!
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:30 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:21 pm
Taxpayers are footing the bill no matter what. High Progressive taxation ensures those who benefit from exploitation have to pay for it.
You’re starting to sell me in this idea now. I didn’t like it at first.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:43 pm

My son, Haven, debates me on this. I say, “Exploitation isn’t a bad thing. If we were all chicken farmers, even the most industrious, hard-working, smart chicken farmer couldn’t raise more than 20 times the average number of chickens. To do that, the farmer would have to exploit something: machinery, science, luck, circumstances, monopoly, etc. That’s great,” I say, “as long as he pays for it.”

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:58 pm

I agree with StA insofar as any job that would command a higher wage without the artificial wage depression of welfare would start paying more. I disagree that there are more jobs paying less due to welfare than there are monkey-jobs that would simply vanish entirely.

Right now Amazon fulfillment centers pay $13.50 per hour out here. I don’t see them paying more, because plenty of people can make it on that wage with roommates or supplemental income from retirement or side gigs/Uber.

Maybe a few of the jobs paying minimum wage would go up a dollar or two, I don’t know. I suspect most of them would go to automation, or start hiring multiple part time employees instead of individual full time employees.

So overall I think forbidding employers from hiring people who would still need welfare would likely result in mass unemployment, and an added welfare burden on the taxpayers. In addition, a couple of positions would raise wages a buck or two, but not enough to offset the damage from the newly unemployed.

High progressive taxation might be a better answer, but how do you avoid businesses going overseas once they reach a certain level? Or avoid stunting businesses en masse so that they never grow large enough to be global competitors?

Trade offs, man. We know what we have right now isn’t perfect, but can we all see something that looks better? So far, I don’t.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"