'Fire in a Crowded Theater' is a Dead Giveaway

BjornP

Re: 'Fire in a Crowded Theater' is a Dead Giveaway

Post by BjornP » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:20 am

Ah... back in ages past calling another man a "child fucker", or "traitor" or any other extreme slander that implied the party engaged in highly illegal or immoral acts, would simply have led to a duel.

More civilized times back then, tbfh.

Calling someone an "asshole" and calling someone a "child fucker" is not even remotely the same.

Monte hates free speech, I get that. He whines, too, sure. But if some potential employer finds this forum, sees him referred to constantly as a "child fucker", they might think Monte had at some point defended pedophilia, or even was one.

Some shit should be off the table. If I doxxed clubby, and posted flyers up in clubby's home town, his place of employment, calling him a pedophile because he annoyed me in a debate here, is that the sort of "free speech" anyone here would defend?
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:28 am

BjornP wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:20 am
Some shit should be off the table. If I doxxed clubby, and posted flyers up in clubby's home town, his place of employment, calling him a pedophile because he annoyed me in a debate here, is that the sort of "free speech" anyone here would defend?
Here's the thing - let's just say for the sake of the argument that clubgop lives in my area, you doxx him and call him a pedophile. He's my employee, so what do I do? Well, I do a background check for criminal charges, look on the sex offender registry... if he show up, sure, maybe I fire him.

I don't take "rumor and innuendo" as the truth. I don't believe you (or the "Twitter mob") just because you claim something.

Unfortunately that's one of the things that "internet culture" has done to us, people can be destroyed by "#me too" type shit on Twitter/Facebook without any due process, without even the supposed "victim" talking to the police. That in itself is a sickness in our society. And too often people back down to it and apologize when they shouldn't - if you don't stand up to it then you deserve what happens. Giving in to the Twitter mob is a mistake - if you have real evidence I expect you to prove it, in court, innocent until proven guilty.

Quite honestly the fact that you even thought about the concept of putting flyers up claiming paedophilia about someone, contacting their employer, etc... essentially destroying someone's life... OVER A FUCKING INTERNET POST ARGUMENT says way more about you than it does him. The fact that you give the idea any credence is the problem with our society today. It sounds like you maybe approve of the idea of vengeance over hurt feelings.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:06 am

If you called somebody a pedo like that, and defamed them like that, you'd get sued into oblivion.

You can defame anonymous nicks online, I think, but using people's real names is a bad idea unless you can back it up with facts and evidence.

Elon Musk is about to find this out. Part of me thinks he must have some dirt on that diver because it is absolutely crazy for such a wealthy man to libel somebody in this way.

If Clubby did that to Nick Moore, it would be a huge legal difference, it seems to me, but you'd have to ask Fife or Deo.

Notice the lawyers here don't do shit like that at all.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:13 am

Ph64 wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:28 am

Unfortunately that's one of the things that "internet culture" has done to us, people can be destroyed by "#me too" type shit on Twitter/Facebook without any due process, without even the supposed "victim" talking to the police. That in itself is a sickness in our society. And too often people back down to it and apologize when they shouldn't - if you don't stand up to it then you deserve what happens. Giving in to the Twitter mob is a mistake - if you have real evidence I expect you to prove it, in court, innocent until proven guilty.

Quite honestly the fact that you even thought about the concept of putting flyers up claiming paedophilia about someone, contacting their employer, etc....
In this case clubby's being a #metoo whore times a million.

If Monte wants to stop clubby from saying he's a pedo the only solution is, and should be (?), to take him to court for libel?

I'd say that’s the sickness of society. If the only thing preventing you from being a raging, bitchy, vindictive asshole to everyone around you is laws, then neither you, your society or the laws you think protect you are really worth anything.

Hence the dueling suggestion.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:15 am

I think where Musk went wrong was in how he handled the criticism.

He had some interesting ideas, even if it turned out they were ill-suited for this particular problem.

For instance creating a cave diving submersible for rescues was a good idea. Building this thing with rigid rocket parts.. not so much. He could have accepted the criticism and just protyped a softfy submersible that can bend around sharp corners like a giant amoeba in case something like this happens again. Hell, he could create an ocean engineering department in SpaceX and market shit like that.

Instead he got mad and called a critic a pedo. If he cannot back that claim up with evidence he will lose a fair amount of money.

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:06 am

BjornP wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:13 am
Ph64 wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:28 am

Quite honestly the fact that you even thought about the concept of putting flyers up claiming paedophilia about someone, contacting their employer, etc....
In this case clubby's being a #metoo whore times a million.

If Monte wants to stop clubby from saying he's a pedo the only solution is, and should be (?), to take him to court for libel?

I'd say that’s the sickness of society. If the only thing preventing you from being a raging, bitchy, vindictive asshole to everyone around you is laws, then neither you, your society or the laws you think protect you are really worth anything.

Hence the dueling suggestion.
Perhaps. Here's the thing, throughout history young boys would have arguments... "your dad is a faggot", "yours is dumb and so are you", "nuh uh, you failed the math test, you're stupid", etc, etc, or the typical bully shit, leading to a fist fight where they knock each other silly until one "wins" - let's just call that "dueling" for kids? By the time they get older they understand injury and that maybe graduating to actual dueling with pistols isn't the best way to handle things?

But instead, nowadays, we say those young boys have a "mental problem", "toxic masculinity", and by golly we'd better get rid of kickball, and playing cowboys & Indians, get rid of any outdoor gym equipment that isn't padded, protective, shielded... and put those damn little boys on drugs to stop them from acting like boys always have in history!!

...and then we wonder why things are the way they are today.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:11 am

Looks like we agree more than I thought, Ph64 (it's Hawaiian dude with the old light-saber and cig for avatar, right?Can't remember the DCF name right now).

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:44 am

Wayment. Wayment. Are you the real Slim Shady, ph?

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:59 am

BjornP wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:11 am
Looks like we agree more than I thought, Ph64 (it's Hawaiian dude with the old light-saber and cig for avatar, right?Can't remember the DCF name right now).
Kybh or something like that?
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:35 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:59 am
BjornP wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:11 am
Kybh or something like that?
Not me. I only joined DCF like 2-3 months before Dan shut it down, and maybe made 10 posts in that time, if that. Think I lurked for a few weeks prior just reading before I joined.