Social Justice Warriors Thread

Speaker to Animals

Re: Social Justice Warriors Thread

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:14 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:58 am
I suppose it depends on whether you see space exploration as an endeavour to further our knowledge of the universe or some macho vanity project which sorts the men from the boys.
Substitute that for human colonization of the globe and think about how silly it sounds in hindsight.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:36 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:14 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
I suppose it depends on whether you see space exploration as an endeavour to further our knowledge of the universe or some macho vanity project which sorts the men from the boys.
Substitute that for human colonization of the globe and think about how silly it sounds in hindsight.
Colonization of the globe had more to do with getting rich than aquiring knowledge or acting manly.
Sending unmanned craft into space is much easier and much cheaper. For the price of a vanity trip to Mars you could fund hundreds of projects and learn far more about the universe.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:55 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:36 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Colonization of the globe had more to do with getting rich than aquiring knowledge or acting manly.
Sending unmanned craft into space is much easier and much cheaper. For the price of a vanity trip to Mars you could fund hundreds of projects and learn far more about the universe.
It’s probably just as expensive to build and launch a massive variety of robots to explore a planet or moon, as to send a small human team to dig and study it.

Robots just aren’t versatile enough.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:19 pm

With all the savings in life support and size of craft I doubt it.
Then there's the radiation shielding, space suits, food and water, power consumption etc.
There's not much a man can do that a robot can't.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:30 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:19 pm
Then there's the radiation shielding, space suits, food and water, power consumption etc.
Think on their feet.
#NotOneRedCent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:38 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:30 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Think on their feet.
You're behind the times Grandad.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:44 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:38 pm
The Conservative wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:30 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Think on their feet.
You're behind the times Grandad.
No, I’m not. They can be programmed to do specific actions under specific situations... they can’t deal with the unknown.

Even with today’s modern programming, it’s a key thing. It has to be programmed... humans think on their feet by nature.

This is why humans can beat games on the hardest levels. The AI is only as good as it’s programmed to be.

Hell, I’m playing No Man’s Sky on Permadeath mode... for a challenge.

I already got myself a frigate. And I started this afternoon.
Last edited by The Conservative on Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#NotOneRedCent

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:46 pm

TANSTAAFL

:wink:

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:00 pm

Fife wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:46 pm
TANSTAAFL

:wink:
NSS..
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:52 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:36 pm
Montegriffo wrote:

Getting rich and acquiring knowledge is literally "acting manly".

There is more precious metals on a single rock like Eros 433 than in all the crust of planet Earth.