Civil War Doomsday Clock

Hastur

Re: Civil War Doomsday Clock

Post by Hastur » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:32 am

Most of the veteran legionaries being given land ended up selling it as well.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:35 am

Your problem is this myopic insistence that we talk about some ancient Roman land theft scheme instead of what I was actually talking about: homestead act. You don't have to go to ancient Rome to see how this works. You need only look at American history. We have done this over and over again for the first century of our nation's existence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homestead_Acts

We stopped because the democrats fucked up the last one and caused the Dust Bowl. But that wasn't the fault of homestead acts in general, just democrats.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:36 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:31 am
Hastur wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:29 am
Taking public land and giving it to the poor is also land redistribution. It's exactly what the Gracchi did. It all ended up being bought up by the big landowners in the end increasing the unequal distribution of land even more.

It's not redistribution. It was never distributed to begin with. It's more like distribution of land, not redistribution. Nobody is getting land stolen from them.

Our nation has gone through periods of homestead acts repeatedly for two centuries. This literally is how we fix these kinds of issues.

Many of those wealthy farmers and ranchers out west are descendants of people who bought their initial land through a homestead act. I am talking about that, not some leftist/gracchi scheme of stealing land from successful people to hand out to degenerates. Homestead acts don't have to be free land either. That shit comes with costs and requirements.
That's just the thing, isn't it? Unless people pay for something, no matter how little, they won't value it. There has to be a commitment in the form of an initial investment. Gibs don't work.

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:37 am

Hastur wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:36 am
Hastur wrote:
Taking public land and giving it to the poor is also land redistribution. It's exactly what the Gracchi did. It all ended up being bought up by the big landowners in the end increasing the unequal distribution of land even more.

It's not redistribution. It was never distributed to begin with. It's more like distribution of land, not redistribution. Nobody is getting land stolen from them.

Our nation has gone through periods of homestead acts repeatedly for two centuries. This literally is how we fix these kinds of issues.

Many of those wealthy farmers and ranchers out west are descendants of people who bought their initial land through a homestead act. I am talking about that, not some leftist/gracchi scheme of stealing land from successful people to hand out to degenerates. Homestead acts don't have to be free land either. That shit comes with costs and requirements.
That's just the thing, isn't it? Unless people pay for something, no matter how little, they won't value it. There has to be a commitment in the form of an initial investment. Gibs don't work.
Where did I argue for gibs?

The question is how people pay for it. Instead of offering it at a fixed upfront cost, just put a threshold cost on it to make people work and save toward it, and then take the rest periodically in some form.

I am pretty sure it's cheaper than welfare, dude. I am not saying it won't be a net cost to the federal government, but it sure as shit will be less of a drag on our nation than putting everybody on various forms of disability and welfare.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:38 am

Hastur wrote:
Sweat equity and survival doesn't factor into this equation?

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:39 am

Getting closer

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:39 am

Hastur wrote:
Hastur wrote:

Yeah, verily.

The Gibbee is the slave of the Gibbor.

No thanks.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:42 am

Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:37 am
Hastur wrote:

I'm not arguing against you. :) Just wondering if there had been any successful land reform projects in history. I'll look into the homestead acts. What I know about them is what I've read about Swedish emigrants going to America in the hundreds of thousands to get cheap high-quality farmland.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:44 am

I live in Appalachia. There are a quite a lot of poor people here. LOTS of them live on their own plots of land. They have trailers parked on them. They grow some food, keep goats and chickens or whatever else. The worst crime that comes out of there is drugs. A lot of people live like this right down the road from me. I don't worry about crime here at all.

But if I were to move into the Asheville city limits near where they keep their projects and other low-income wage slave residences, then you better believe I have to worry about violent crime.

What makes all this shit worse is dispossessing people of the very opportunity to establish their own domain. Violent people are always going to be violent, but when they live out in the styx and have their own property and shit to worry about, they tend not be very violent towards others who are not trespassing or fucking with them.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:45 am

Hastur wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:42 am
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:37 am
Hastur wrote:

I'm not arguing against you. :) Just wondering if there had been any successful land reform projects in history. I'll look into the homestead acts. What I know about them is what I've read about Swedish emigrants going to America in the hundreds of thousands to get cheap high-quality farmland.
The descendants of those Swedes live on most of the farms in Minnesota. They are doing just fine today.