What show are you watching right now?

brewster

Re: What show are you watching right now?

Post by brewster » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:48 pm

Real SF is very thin on the ground these days. I subscribe to Escape Pod and Clarke's World short story podcasts, and most of them are the softest of SF, basically fantasy. I give them a few minutes and usually FF to my next podcast in my random playlist. Doesn't help that both are edited by women today. The original editor of Escape Pod was MUCH better, but he had a nervous breakdown or something and had to quit.

Here's a great series by an obscure author from his tenure, Union Dues about superheroing as a shitty job with crappy benefits. Kinda alternate universe Avengers, and I usually HATE comic book stories, movies, whatever. (Sorry this is "what are you listening to?")

http://escapepod.org/tag/union-dues/
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:51 pm

brewster wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:48 pm
Real SF is very thin on the ground these days. I subscribe to Escape Pod and Clarke's World short story podcasts, and most of them are the softest of SF, basically fantasy. I give them a few minutes and usually FF to my next podcast in my random playlist. Doesn't help that both are edited by women today. The original editor of Escape Pod was MUCH better, but he had a nervous breakdown or something and had to quit.

Here's a great series by an obscure author from his tenure, Union Dues about superheroing as a shitty job with crappy benefits. Kinda alternate universe Avengers, and I usually HATE comic book stories, movies, whatever. (Sorry this is "what are you listening to?")

http://escapepod.org/tag/union-dues/
Very little out there. Most of those magazines and podcasts are pozzed as fuck with cultural marxism, though, so you can't really go by that. Nobody smart enough to write good SF is going to write cultural marxist garbage.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:19 pm

PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:53 am

I'm in the process of watching shows that already had their complete run.

I just finished Justified and I'm so pissed I didn't watch it when it was new. I'm starting Sons of Anarchy now

Amazon Prime is taking over the #1 spot from Netflix IMO
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:43 am

California wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:53 am

Paying $6-15 for decades-old movies, or watching a massive collection of them for free? I don’t think so.

Amazon has a couple of good exclusives, but it’s nowhere near the same value.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:02 am

Netflix is totally pozzed now. They have new content, but it's mostly AIDS.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:05 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:43 am
California wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:53 am

Paying $6-15 for decades-old movies, or watching a massive collection of them for free? I don’t think so.

Amazon has a couple of good exclusives, but it’s nowhere near the same value.
Prime has a shitload of free stuff, and I was mainly talking about TV series
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

brewster

Post by brewster » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:07 am

Current fave is Condor, based on the book(movie) 6(3) Days of the Condor. Good, classic, paranoid spy shit. Just like Berlin Station, whose 3rd season should drop later this year.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:13 am

Watching Jaws, it's shark week on Discovery.

Quint is F*ing Awesome. Robert Shaw does a great job on how his character transforms from Gruff Sea Captain to one on one fight with the shark throughout the film
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:09 am

Shaw was incredible. That film could never have been so awesome without him.