THE ERA OF TRUMP

Fife

Re: THE ERA OF TRUMP

Post by Fife » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:37 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:45 pm
My '63 Harley is now part of the Resistance
Well shit, I was thinking of a brand-new American made bike this fall when my kiddo goes off to school.

How long am I going to have to wait on a shiny plastic GM crotch rocket scooter?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:12 pm

He thinks it is "trade" when they use slaves to produce American products they bring back across our borders.

Libertarianism. Not even once.

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:16 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:12 pm
He thinks it is "trade" when they use slaves to produce American products they bring back across our borders.

Libertarianism. Not even once.
All I asked was when my $70,000 plastc crotch rocket would be available. If not a H-D with the Aura, l reckon I'll have to settle for a GMC scooter.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:19 pm

Dude, you want cheap shit made by slaves. Don't try to obfuscate it.

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:27 pm

Let's boil it down. Tariffs are direct taxes on Americans. Taxing things like steel and aluminum drive production of any product using steel and aluminum overseas.

If Harley wants to stay in business in the US, they will have to use plastic rather than metal to keep the doors open.

Do you want to know how to win a trade war, and in scorched Earth fashion? Drop every tariff down to zero, and as soon as possible.

Every tariff around the globe only hurts the subjects of the state impososing the tariff. And it's been the way since the big bang. You might rewrite logic, good luck with that.

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:40 pm

Fife wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:27 pm
Let's boil it down. Tariffs are direct taxes on Americans. Taxing things like steel and aluminum drive production of any product using steel and aluminum overseas.

If Harley wants to stay in business in the US, they will have to use plastic rather than metal to keep the doors open.

Do you want to know how to win a trade war, and in scorched Earth fashion? Drop every tariff down to zero, and as soon as possible.

Every tariff around the globe only hurts the subjects of the state impososing the tariff. And it's been the way since the big bang. You might rewrite logic, good luck with that.
Pretty sure we had embargos with the USSR. How is the PRC any different?

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:54 pm

We don't have a Harley manufacturing plant anywhere around here, AFAIK. However, we have at least 2 huge dealerships in middle Tennessee. About 10 years ago, I represented the boss mechanic in one of those shops in a rough divorce. Rough. Lucky for him, his boss backed him up. Lucky for me, the boss/owner knew a friend of mine who was his company's attorney and referred the mechanic to me, with a line of credit from the company.

Let's just say that the decent deal I set for that mechanic at the time is probably going to turn to shit for him now for 3 or 4 years.

I guess he can go try to get on at the GMC plastic shop. That's all he knows, but people have been riding 100 miles or more to see him for for 25+ years.

Or he'll be back for the best deal he can make to avoid the lockup. I've no doubt his ex-wife doesn't still have expensive taste.

Penner

Post by Penner » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:03 pm

Arc Light wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:24 am
Harley-Davidson is now on Donnie's shit list.
More
A Harley-Davidson should never be built in another country-never! Their employees and customers are already very angry at them. If they move, watch, it will be the beginning of the end - they surrendered, they quit! The Aura will be gone and they will be taxed like never before!
Why?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:11 pm

Fife wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:27 pm

Tarrifs on actual foreign products, perhaps. An indirect on foreign products.

But that is not what is happening.

If an auto company moves a factory from Michigan to Indiana, and then sells the cars it makes in Indiana in Michigan, is that trade? No. It is not.

If they move the factory instead to Mexico, it does not constitute "trade" either except for our selling national debt in exchange for American jobs.

Libertarianism is weak sauce. Weak as fuck. Seriously, dude. Did you ever actually try to approach this garbage critically?

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:12 pm

Penner wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:03 pm
Arc Light wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:24 am
Harley-Davidson is now on Donnie's shit list.
More
A Harley-Davidson should never be built in another country-never! Their employees and customers are already very angry at them. If they move, watch, it will be the beginning of the end - they surrendered, they quit! The Aura will be gone and they will be taxed like never before!
Why?
Cute.

Both Penny and StA think Harley-Davidson is a public utility.

We're making progress here, fam.