Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Speaker to Animals

Re: Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:52 am

Fife wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:50 am

Seriously though, looking good.

I emptied out the rain barrel this morning soaking the back 40 of le jardin de Fife. It's already hotter than two rats fucking in a wool sock down here.
It's Africa-hot out there. I just ran four miles and it was a slog there for a while where I ran through a farm field without shade.

Kath

Post by Kath » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:57 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:51 am

Lots can be grown in that sand.
Based on what I've been studying, I don't have to have a raised bed, but prepping the sand seems like a lot of extra work for little gain. We don't have our compost pile started yet, so I have no nutrients to put in the sand, yet. Raised beds are the most recommended for doing home gardening.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:01 am

Kath wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:57 am
Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:51 am

Lots can be grown in that sand.
Based on what I've been studying, I don't have to have a raised bed, but prepping the sand seems like a lot of extra work for little gain. We don't have our compost pile started yet, so I have no nutrients to put in the sand, yet. Raised beds are the most recommended for doing home gardening.
I grew all kinds of food in the sand as a kid. It's very possible. Actual Floridians were farming from day one since we bought the place and settled there.
The list of vegetable that grows well in Florida is almost endless. Spring gardens often contain tomatoes, summer squash, cucumbers, peppers, beans, peas, sweet potatoes, sweet corn, eggplant and okra. Early-bearing varieties of some vegetables are also suitable for planting after the harshness of summer has waned, providing a late fall crop. Cool-season vegetables in Florida include broccoli, cabbage, carrots, collards, kale, lettuce, mustard, onions, white potatoes, English peas, spinach and turnips.
Many small fruits, like strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, dewberries, loganberries, huckleberries and grapes grow in Florida, as well as fruits like cantaloupe, honeydew melon and watermelon. Tree fruits, like persimmon, avocado, many varieties of citrus, pears and peaches will grow throughout the state, depending on the location and variety. South Florida, with its more tropical climate, will support a wide variety of crops not possible further north in the state. Bananas, coconut, mango, papaya, carambola and passion fruit are all tropical fruits that will grow in southern Florida.
https://www.gardenguides.com/95787-frui ... orida.html

Calusa used the Mayan method of three sisters I think:

Corn, squash, and pole beans grow VERY well in that sand.

Kath

Post by Kath » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:20 am

Some fruits, yes, but tomatoes? They need serious nutrients, which will wash away in the first major rain and I'll have dirt everywhere. The raised bed keeps the nutrient rich soil from going everywhere. /shrug - I want to do this the easiest way possible. I don't see the point in making it harder than it needs to be. (Added bonus of less bending over.)

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:28 am

That’s what he said.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:29 am

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:50 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:45 am
Installed a rabbit fence around my garden - complete with a working gate.

BFFB6420-1C9F-48E6-81C7-D7FD7E799B0B.jpeg

The cedar fence is “decorative”. ;)

You don't think they can jump over that?
Don’t know. We shall see.

I do know that the local groundhog and opossums can’t do it.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:29 am

Kath wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:20 am
Some fruits, yes, but tomatoes? They need serious nutrients, which will wash away in the first major rain and I'll have dirt everywhere. The raised bed keeps the nutrient rich soil from going everywhere. /shrug - I want to do this the easiest way possible. I don't see the point in making it harder than it needs to be. (Added bonus of less bending over.)
I grew tomatoes just fine. Did you use fertilizer?

Kath, I am telling you, I grew a shit ton of food in that sugar sand as a child. No internet to tell me how to do it. I was just a kid. I am sure you can figure it out.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:33 am

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:42 am
Interesting that the UK cares more about the welfare of a cow than a human child.
Hmmmm. We already have veal. It's not too far from a market for meat from animals that starved to death.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Kath

Post by Kath » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:35 am

Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:29 am

Kath, I am telling you, I grew a shit ton of food in that sugar sand as a child. No internet to tell me how to do it. I was just a kid. I am sure you can figure it out.
Not sure why it's so important to you. Damn dude, I want a garden with soil and worms.... Sand is for beaches.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:37 am

Tomatoes growing in South Florida "beach sand".