The Mosaic Theory : Facing an 0-2 Count

Fife

The Mosaic Theory : Facing an 0-2 Count

Post by Fife » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:53 pm

The Golden State Killer Is Tracked Through a Thicket of DNA, and Experts Shudder
Genetic testing services have become enormously popular with people looking for long-lost relatives or clues to hereditary diseases. Most never imagined that one day intimate pieces of their DNA could be mined to assist police detectives in criminal cases.

Even as scientific experts applauded this week’s arrest of the Golden State Killer suspect, Joseph James DeAngelo, 72, some expressed unease on Friday at reports that detectives in California had used a public genealogy database to identify him. Privacy and ethical issues glossed over in the public’s rush to embrace DNA databases are now glaringly apparent, they said.

“This is really tough,” said Malia Fullerton, an ethicist at the University of Washington who studies DNA forensics. “He was a horrible man and it is good that he was identified, but does the end justify the means?”
https://www.lawfareblog.com/defense-mosaic-theory

How much of your biological information have you given away to the state? What about your kids?

How much of the "reasonable expectation of privacy" canard regarding the purpose of the 4th amendment have you sucked down?

Speaker to Animals

Re: The Mosaic Theory : Facing an 0-2 Count

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:20 pm

Fife wrote:
How much of your biological information have you given away to the state?

Well, in the Air Force, there was this nurse who snuck into the enlisted barracks to sample some of my DNA, but I don't know if any of it made it back to the hospital later.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:10 pm

The basic problem is that as we become more technologically advanced, we are swimming in and smothering our privacy in a ocean of digital data. Preserving the spirit of the 4th Amendment under such circumstances is an extremely difficult challenge, but it is one that we should take seriously if we want to avoid living in a police state.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:07 pm

It's already over before it began. We're all in the Machine, now.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:27 pm

de officiis wrote:The basic problem is that as we become more technologically advanced, we are swimming in and smothering our privacy in a ocean of digital data. Preserving the spirit of the 4th Amendment under such circumstances is an extremely difficult challenge, but it is one that we should take seriously if we want to avoid living in a police state.
I agree. Preserving the spirit of the 4th would be something admirable.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:32 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Fife wrote:
How much of your biological information have you given away to the state?

Well, in the Air Force, there was this nurse who snuck into the enlisted barracks to sample some of my DNA, but I don't know if any of it made it back to the hospital later.
You do know that the military has your shit right? It's just a matter of how long you have been separated and whether or not they can actually fucking find it.