Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Montegriffo

Re: Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:03 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:36 am
Hah
Michael Bloomberg said it's so simple you can teach morons to farm.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:09 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:03 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:36 am
Hah
Michael Bloomberg said it's so simple you can teach morons to farm.
Well played sir.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:24 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:14 am
Every one of you should start growing food. Even if it is a small amount, that is that much less demand on veggies come Fall.

I doubt we will completely run out of vegetables, but I also doubt there is going to be as much as you are used to. The developing world is set for collapse. They are burning bodies in the streets of Ecuador, for example, and Brazil is digging mass graves. The borders are closed and there might not be much migration happening to keep the fragile corporate agricultural system running come harvest time. Also, nations are very likely to cut off exports of anything strategic to survive the pandemic (already beginning to happen) and that very well could include food.

I suspect we will have plenty of grains like corn since so much is automated in that. Probably a lot of factory chicken, etc.

You might see tomatoes, etc. which can be grown locally just about anywhere, but the prices might be pretty high.

The time to prep for the lock down is over. The new preps, imho, are preparing your body and immune system to best survive this disease and preparing for major economic disruptions. There is fuck all most of us can do about Great Depression 2.0, but growing vegetables is pretty easy and we are coming up on sow dates in a few weeks for most of CONUS.

Bad news: nurseries might sell out of the decent seedlings soon.
+1

Seeds are in high demand. If you are going to get them, get them now. In another month you may not be able to find much. This week I went and got seed potatoes, I only found one 5 lbs bag.

What are you doing to improve your immune system ?
PLATA O PLOMO

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:43 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:27 am
Every one of you should start growing food. Even if it is a small amount, that is that much less demand on veggies come Fall.

I doubt we will completely run out of vegetables, but I also doubt there is going to be as much as you are used to. The developing world is set for collapse. They are burning bodies in the streets of Ecuador, for example, and Brazil is digging mass graves. The borders are closed and there might not be much migration happening to keep the fragile corporate agricultural system running come harvest time. Also, nations are very likely to cut off exports of anything strategic to survive the pandemic (already beginning to happen) and that very well could include food.

I suspect we will have plenty of grains like corn since so much is automated in that. Probably a lot of factory chicken, etc.

You might see tomatoes, etc. which can be grown locally just about anywhere, but the prices might be pretty high.

The time to prep for the lock down is over. The new preps, imho, are preparing your body and immune system to best survive this disease and preparing for major economic disruptions. There is fuck all most of us can do about Great Depression 2.0, but growing vegetables is pretty easy and we are coming up on sow dates in a few weeks for most of CONUS.

Any country which relies on migrant labour to plant and harvest crops is going to struggle.
We were already having problems post Brexit with a loss of EU farm migrants but now the borders are locked the farmers are getting really worried.
It is actually much worse than the migrant labor issue. A few glaring problems:

(1) Shipping industry is partially shut down. Most ports are not allowing crew changes and are selective about what ships are allowed to even enter. There already exist tremendous economic friction to simply ship goods around the world.

(2) Nations have already begun stockpiling strategic resources, and that includes food. Nations are beginning to halt things like rice exports, etc., to boost their strategic reserves of food in case of a total collapse as this thing drags on (and it will).

The whole fucking system basically died and most people still cling to the idea that somehow we can patch it up and carry on. Globalism is not going to work. Non-localized food production is not a great idea either. Because I live in a hot spot for permaculture, I can go to a drive-through farmer's market where everything is paid for online. The only people coming in contact with the produce are the farmers and me. No money is exchanged. No boomers bumping into me or handling the same produce by the hundreds.

Think about all the shit you take for granted. The idea that you can walk into a grocery store, pick up a piece of produce, inspect it, decide to look for another one and put it back. This is happening all day long. The grocery store has a a closed ventilation system too. Thousands of people go in and out every day. Then consider the supply chain that goes into it. This produce is handled by an army of unaccountable and probably sick AF cholos who invaded here illegally. It is loaded into a supply chain where God knows how many people have been in contact with it. Then it gets boxed by somebody and eventually distributed to supermarkets where a bunch of minimum wage punk fuck boys have to carefully stack it into pyramids in the produce section. Then God knows how many people touch it and put it back, breathe on it, cough around it, etc. before you put it into your little bag using a glove and mask, like that is going to protect you from the contaminated fruit in the first place.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:51 am

C-Mag wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:24 pm

+1

Seeds are in high demand. If you are going to get them, get them now. In another month you may not be able to find much. This week I went and got seed potatoes, I only found one 5 lbs bag.

What are you doing to improve your immune system ?
I could not find seed potatoes. I am just buying some from the market and waiting for the small ones to sprout before cutting them up and burying them. My potato grow bags won't be here for at least another day anyway.

Immune system..

A fuck ton of Vitamin D (this is your most important supplement as it drastically reduces risk of lung infections). Vitamin C. Zinc. I am exercising every day, but not too much. I am eating clean and trying to get as many superfoods and nutrients in as possible.

I have a theory about glucose which is kind of hard to get into here. But suffice to say, I think a common denominator here is that people who are less able to get glucose into their immune cells are more likely to get complications and die. Diabetics, obese, and endurance athletes. To fight any viral infection, your body needs glucose (for bacteria it is the opposite need for ketones). I think this virus is so fucking bad that you need as much glucose as you can get. The older you get, the less your cells get. The fatter you get, the more metabolic syndrome you have, and the less glucose actually goes into your cells. Diabetics are obviously fucked because they can barely get any glucose transported from their blood to their cells. Note here that when people typically say their glucose is high, they mean the glucose in their blood is high, which means they are not transporting it into their cells.

So.. eat a diet designed to lower insulin resistance right now. It is healthy for you regardless of whether I am right so you have nothing to lose there. A lower insulin resistance means it takes less insulin to transport glucose from your blood to your cells.

If you get sick, then you do the bodybuilding trick of spiking insulin before you eat a meal (and eat lots of meals throughout the day to keep a constant supply of glucose going). You can do this with something as simple as a candy bar, I think, and if you were eating an insulin resistance-lowering diet this whole time, then it's going to be a decent spike.

This is just me making some educated guesses, so don't take it as fact, but doing this will not only be harmless if I am wrong, it will make you healthier anyway.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:32 am

Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:51 am

A fuck ton of Vitamin D (this is your most important supplement as it drastically reduces risk of lung infections). Vitamin C. Zinc. I am exercising every day, but not too much. I am eating clean and trying to get as many superfoods and nutrients in as possible.
We do Vitamin D, C and Zinc every day.
It's like a clinic around here. I get up in the morning and the wife has a little plastic cup waiting for me with 3 pills in it.

Any particular foods you recommend ?
PLATA O PLOMO

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:36 am

C-Mag wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:32 am
Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:51 am

We do Vitamin D, C and Zinc every day.
It's like a clinic around here. I get up in the morning and the wife has a little plastic cup waiting for me with 3 pills in it.

Any particular foods you recommend ?
I might transition to something like this:

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/diabetes ... tance-diet

My other recommendation is to, under NO CIRCUMSTANCES, engage in that keto diet buffoonery. It was a stupid fucking fad diet to begin with but now it could kill your ass. If this were a bacterial infection it would be perfect, but it's not. You need a lot of glucose to fight viruses.

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:37 am

I got more sunshine yesterday than I have in 6 months. Vitamin D spike FTW.

Smits' love advice column for teens and forlorn internet incels has me ready to go Busta Nutt now. Alas, not only are the beer joints around the lake crippled currently, there's not even a good church social available.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:44 am

Fife wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:37 am
I got more sunshine yesterday than I have in 6 months. Vitamin D spike FTW.

Smits' love advice column for teens and forlorn internet incels has me ready to go Busta Nutt now. Alas, not only are the beer joints around the lake crippled currently, there's not even a good church social available.
Marty Hash Lifestyle content generated for the Marty Hash Forum, with an accompanying soundtrack

Petite brunette qt, with just the right amount of puppy fat, and a neatly trimmed little muff in her pants, is the meaning of life itself

Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:53 am

Plus don't knock phone sex, phone sex is hot

If there is any lonely chicks you know out there, now is the time to ring that bell and call them

Strike up a bubbly conversation, be there for them, twitterpated at first, smoldering hot comes after

That's what Smitty Crockett would do

Nec Aspera Terrent