Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

brewster

Re: Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Post by brewster » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:23 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:00 am
Any opinions on the feasibility of converting pasture or woodlands to farmland?
Of course it's doable with enough elbow grease, it's what the European settlers did with hand tools and oxen, but the economics need to be there to make it worth it. Your perception of the cost of food transport is just not reality. Bulk transport is so cheap it's a minor portion of the cost of goods. This has been in the press very recently about the way car parts are shipped back and forth from the US to Mexico a number of times in a variety of stages before they're installed. It's so cheap to import premium bottled beer from Europe that a local bottler has no price advantage. The hops costs more than transport.

Of course if you're talking EOTWAWKI all bets are off. Things would have to be pretty bad before people would be clearing fields for commodity crops like wheat and corn instead of high value fresh produce.

PS: It's riot how nothing is ever the fault of your locals, it's always the Yankees or someone else forcing you to do it.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:26 am

I am talking peak oil. When that hits, the costs of transporting food into the cities will be too high. I remain unconcerned with your lot. I hope you all die.

I am talking about the real America here.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:36 am

Anywho..

Seems like you'd really need to get this thing efficient, since it would cost you a couple grand to rent a large dozer for a week.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:44 am

Dozer owners and operators are going to be in demand to a level modern losers literally cannot believe, or even conceive of.

Just think of how you consider a fire ant hill today, and you'll have a pretty good forecast for the social media experts of today's future.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:49 am

I might have to move into Tennessee. The land here is too expensive.

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:10 pm

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:26 am
I am talking peak oil. When that hits, the costs of transporting food into the cities will be too high. I remain unconcerned with your lot. I hope you all die.

I am talking about the real America here.
What a fun world you want, where there's no urban markets, no one has a cash crop, so if you want something like medicines or machinery you have to make it yourself. Welcome to subsistence farming!

As I said, transport is a small part of cost, and there's a lot of headroom in the economy. One could argue high home prices are partially an artifact of low food prices, it gave people more money to spend elsewhere. If food prices go up, housing prices will come down, just they do when property taxes go up.

What interesting below is that even though as the nation urbanized and far fewer people grew a major portion of their own food, the % spent still plummeted.

We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:50 pm

When the price of a barrel of oil is comparable to the price of gold, how much exactly do you think the food is going to cost in your shit hole city? I.e. if the cost of transporting the potatoes you see in your local grocer right now is about the cost of a troy ounce of gold, do you think potatoes are going to be on your family table?

Not that I really care for an answer. Stop hijacking threads with your Yankee nonsense.

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:19 pm

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:50 pm
When the price of a barrel of oil is comparable to the price of gold, how much exactly do you think the food is going to cost in your shit hole city? I.e. if the cost of transporting the potatoes you see in your local grocer right now is about the cost of a troy ounce of gold, do you think potatoes are going to be on your family table?

Not that I really care for an answer. Stop hijacking threads with your Yankee nonsense.
Gold huh? Hahahaha! Did you fail econ101?

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:23 pm

Fife wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:44 am
Dozer owners and operators are going to be in demand to a level modern losers literally cannot believe, or even conceive of.

Just think of how you consider a fire ant hill today, and you'll have a pretty good forecast for the social media experts of today's future.
#rememberkilldozerman
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:23 pm

brewster wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:19 pm
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:50 pm

Gold huh? Hahahaha! Did you fail econ101?
How much do you think a barrel of oil will cost when global demand outsrips supply?

Did you fail econ 101?