Collectivism Poll

Collectiisim vs Individualism - What do you believe?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:05 am

It takes a village...
38%
the village is full of crooks and tyrants...
63%

Total votes: 8

Zlaxer

Re: Collectivism Poll

Post by Zlaxer » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:34 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:24 pm
Zlaxer wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:15 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:09 pm
Where do you draw the line?

When the actions of others impact my rights.....that's when the government can step in so that I don't have to resort to vigilantism....
So can we outlaw M2M butt sex, then? For waging an incessant HIV epidemic upon the United States, costing us more lives now than the American Civil War?

I want you to seriously reconcile what you just said with the common misconception of "liberty".

Most of the degenerate, sick behavior people champion as "liberty" costs us more than any war we ever waged. The great flu pandemic didn't even match what the gay subculture did to America with HIV. The cost of Roe v. Wade is the decimation of the social welfare systems and inversion of the demographic age pyramid by 2050.
I do not believe in a right to abortion (and would never allow any child of mine to be aborted except in extreme medical circumstances) - but I don't think the government should be involved....The government should not regulate what it does not understand...and no one knows for sure when (and if) a fetus ever gets a soul.

People are able to make their own decisions - if they want to piss of God - then that's their choice....there is simply not enough evidence to make a clear and convincing case for >15 week fetuses...

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:36 pm

Zlaxer wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:30 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:21 pm
Zlaxer wrote:

When the actions of others impact my rights.....that's when the government can step in so that I don't have to resort to vigilantism....
You have discussed the perils of automation. If you think that many if not most jobs will be automated, will you still be an individualist? If so, how would you minimize the role of government in this new system?

Automation is where I break ranks and entertain the possibility of state provided income....still looking for ways around that option, which seems inevitable given how fast machines are improving and how stupid the proles are becoming.
I cant think of a situation where the state provided us all an income being anything other than a totalitarian social justice hellhole where all actions, thoughts, and behaviors were utterly monitered and restricted by the state, but if it comes to pass, then I don't see a backup plan. Hopefully, I'll be long dead by then.

I'm just going to bury my head in the sand and hope that the libertarians and neoliberals were right when they say automation will not be a problem. (I think it will be a big one though, beyond fixing)
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:38 pm

Zlaxer wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:34 pm
Zlaxer wrote:

So can we outlaw M2M butt sex, then? For waging an incessant HIV epidemic upon the United States, costing us more lives now than the American Civil War?

I want you to seriously reconcile what you just said with the common misconception of "liberty".

Most of the degenerate, sick behavior people champion as "liberty" costs us more than any war we ever waged. The great flu pandemic didn't even match what the gay subculture did to America with HIV. The cost of Roe v. Wade is the decimation of the social welfare systems and inversion of the demographic age pyramid by 2050.
I do not believe in a right to abortion (and would never allow any child of mine to be aborted except in extreme medical circumstances) - but I don't think the government should be involved....The government should not regulate what it does not understand...and no one knows for sure when (and if) a fetus ever gets a soul.

People are able to make their own decisions - if they want to piss of God - then that's their choice....there is simply not enough evidence to make a clear and convincing case for >15 week fetuses...
You just said, and I quote, When the actions of others impact my rights.....that's when the government can step in. Do you consider keeping most of your income a right? Because abortion is making it so that our children will grow up where most of their income must be seized to pay for the elderly when the demographic pyramid is inverted. Do you consider it a right to not get pozzed by your cheating wife, who banged some dude who earlier took in the ass from some other due (who has AIDS)? Because the sexual revolution could literally fuck you that way too.

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:42 pm

Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:38 pm
Zlaxer wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:34 pm

You just said, and I quote, When the actions of others impact my rights.....that's when the government can step in. Do you consider keeping most of your income a right? Because abortion is making it so that our children will grow up where most of their income must be seized to pay for the elderly when the demographic pyramid is inverted. Do you consider it a right to not get pozzed by your cheating wife, who banged some dude who earlier took in the ass from some other due (who has AIDS)? Because the sexual revolution could literally fuck you that way too.
In my view - a <15 week Fetus has no rights - if you want to argue that abortion is preemptively taking rights that will develop...then you better ban all invitro procedures....why not give rights to a bacteria? It could conceivably reproduce and mutate enough to develop a self-awarenes....Line needs to be drawn somewhere....<15weeks seems like a conservative spot along the spectrum for me.
Last edited by Zlaxer on Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:43 pm

@StA - There have been cases where one sexual partner has sued the other for infecting them with HIV - knew or should have known or recklessness...

brewster

Post by brewster » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:49 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:30 pm
How individual are we going here? You were probably raised by at least one parent right? Outside the family, you probably had friends whose parents watched you when you visited. You might have had teachers that helped you with your work, and steered you toward a career or hobby that you were interested in. If you played sports, your team mates and coach probably had a large influence on your life. Many people on here went to church, and the churchgoers often help each other out when shit gets tough. Is that not a "village" of sorts? If it isn't, then why would you describe the distant government as a village, but not the people in your local life?

To determine individualism vs collectivism, this question is poorly phrased.

Even leaving out governments for a second, markets are also a sort of collectivist enterprise. The collective decisions of people determine how much they pay, how much they can sell for, where they can live, and their wants and desires.
Holy shit! A coherent, no trolling, response from H that I agree with 100%. The notion that a community is by it's nature collectivist is the false premise here. It's a non-monetary transactional system, not unlike barter. It's "I'll keep an eye on your kids, and bring you soup when you're sick, if you do the same for me". The problems with this come when the community exceeds Dunbar's number, the number of people you can actually know, often put at around 150, the size of a village or an army company. Thats when people say "why should I give that guy I don't know soup, or pull him wounded into a foxhole under fire". It takes a broader sense of identity to put yourself out. Sometimes that's just the flag patch on his shoulder, a religious belief, or the knowledge that it could be you if things take a really crap turn.

Every community has it's small cadre of would be crooks and tyrants. It's the majority that enable them by being lazy, gullible or both. I've seen this in operation in small nonprofits I've been on the board of. You get a new person full of piss and vinegar, and it's great for a while that they're willing to do so much for the cause, while the rest of you have lots of other distractions in your life, but they don't. It's only later when you try and reign them in that you realize what monsters they really are. We had woman like that on our Neighborhood Assn board who ended up in a mental hospital after causing us much conflict and chaos.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:04 pm

Heh. "She just ended up in a mental ward I have no idea how it happened!"
The alt-right is where I learned about the Dunbar number.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:38 pm

Fife wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:22 pm
The "village" of "it takes a village" is not a village at all. It's a gulag.

Now, if someone wants to rephrase honestly that "it takes a gulag," I'll be glad to register an opinion. :twisted:
Here ya go, you're gonna be needing one of these
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

brewster

Post by brewster » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:44 pm

Speaking of Gulags, has anybody watched "The Death of Stalin" on Netflix? Deadpan funny stuff. Steve Buscemi is Khrushchev.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:31 am

Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:18 pm
Fife wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:14 pm
"Individual v. collective" is a false dichotomy.

The question is: "voluntary v. compulsory."

Or, if you prefer, "voluntary v. rent-seeking armed-robbery mafia"
Guess how it became a "rent-seeking armed-robbery mafia"..

Hint: it started with one of Hamilton's ideas.
Hamilton had some doozies, alright.