What show are you watching right now?

SuburbanFarmer

Re: What show are you watching right now?

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:19 am

Kath wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:21 pm
DS9 update - last ep of 4 / first ep of 5 - all about Odo... interesting take on his relationship with the link, then immediately back to fantasy play with 4 DS9 characters turning Klingon. :facepalm: reach into bag-o-tricks until we can be creative another five episodes from now.
God. Dammit.

DS9 was damned near unwatchable for 3 seasons. 4 was interesting, and then they must have changed writers for 5, because it’s actually really good.

Just saw Troubles and Tribble-ations. That may be the second best Trek episode ever.

This is not over. I still love TNG and Enterprise over all others. But now that I’m through the Suck, I actually love DS9.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:37 am

DS9, best Star Trek ever, IMHNSO.

Wait til you get to Dance with the Devil in the Pale Moonlight, AR-659 and Little Green Men.

Enjoy.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:36 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:37 am

Wait til you get to Dance with the Devil in the Pale Moonlight, AR-659 and Little Green Men.

Enjoy.
IMHNSO ???

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:21 pm

True Detective
The Terror
My Brilliant Friend
The good, the true, & the beautiful

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:37 pm

Hastur wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:36 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:37 am

Enjoy.
IMHNSO ???
In my honest no shit opinion
PLATA O PLOMO

Kath

Post by Kath » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:16 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:19 am

This is not over. I still love TNG and Enterprise over all others. But now that I’m through the Suck, I actually love DS9.
DS9 may be my favorite, now, having watched the whole thing.

The number of episodes about body snatching, time-travelling, alternate realities & body alteration, though, is pretty damn high.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:25 pm

Kath wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:16 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

DS9 may be my favorite, now, having watched the whole thing.

The number of episodes about body snatching, time-travelling, alternate realities & body alteration, though, is pretty damn high.
The Orville is actually not too bad. It does this type of Sci-Fi very well. And it handles current social issues very well too.

For instance they have a senior officer who's race is all males, ergo gay. And he has a mate aboard. Then they have a kid who turns out to be female. Their planet considers the one in a billion birth of females a birth defect and they have state ordered gender reassignment surgery.

Some of the shit is damn funny, like when they are trying to teach the robot/android how to play practical jokes.
PLATA O PLOMO

brewster

Post by brewster » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:33 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Kath wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:21 pm
DS9 update - last ep of 4 / first ep of 5 - all about Odo... interesting take on his relationship with the link, then immediately back to fantasy play with 4 DS9 characters turning Klingon. :facepalm: reach into bag-o-tricks until we can be creative another five episodes from now.
God. Dammit.

DS9 was damned near unwatchable for 3 seasons. 4 was interesting, and then they must have changed writers for 5, because it’s actually really good.

Just saw Troubles and Tribble-ations. That may be the second best Trek episode ever.

Another fan of DS9 here. There's actually "watching guides" of which episodes to skip. Kath, you have warmed my heart with your rant about "about body snatching, time-travelling, alternate realities & body alteration", I go off on this stuff every chance I get, but you left off amnesia, multiple personalities, and evil twins from the list of lazy writing tropes. I can't believe how many of these Discovery has managed in just a season and a half. It's like it was mandated!

I've been watching a British fishing reality show called The Big Catch. They're so civilized! No howling or backstabbing. One middle aged woman is annoyed at another fisherman getting too close, so she leaves muttering, "I'm going over here now, I getting quite cross.."

Has anyone watched Ripper Street? It's a Victorian London police procedural, and one of the stars is the terrific Jerome Flynn who plays Bronn on Game of Thrones. I'm not a fan of procedurals, but love historical fiction, so I'm torn about it.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:56 pm

I love the series, but I'm critical of a few things
- really hated all the mirror universe episodes of DS9
- the actress that played Kira was the weakest of the cast, and she was in a pivotal role. I know it was written for the gal who played Ensign Rho on TNG, its a shame she turned it down.
- the wyrmhole aliens, the orbs and Bajorian religion were just clunky. I think it could have worked, but they didn't handle it well
- Chief O'Brien was awesome, his wife and kids were dead weight. They knew it and handled it poorly. Should have had the wife get caught with alien dick and had a divorce.
- the feminist Ferengi mother was a mistake. It would have been more effective if Quarks mother was a rigidly devout about traditional Ferengi customs.
PLATA O PLOMO

Kath

Post by Kath » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:05 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:56 pm

- Chief O'Brien was awesome, his wife and kids were dead weight. They knew it and handled it poorly. Should have had the wife get caught with alien dick and had a divorce.
Between the two series, Keiko and O'Brien had maybe seconds of "getting along," versus the outright hatred they showed each other most of the time. She was a total waste of a character. They should have ended their relationship when Keiko told Data she didn't want to get married. I don't know why they felt the need to put O'Brien in such a hateful, stressful marriage.
brewster wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:33 pm
Kath, you have warmed my heart with your rant about "about body snatching, time-travelling, alternate realities & body alteration", I go off on this stuff every chance I get, but you left off amnesia, multiple personalities, and evil twins from the list of lazy writing tropes. I can't believe how many of these Discovery has managed in just a season and a half. It's like it was mandated!
I actually like the Thomas character acted by Frakes. I like the whole "how he came to be," story line. I didn't mind that one.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?