RIP

The Conservative

Re: RIP

Post by The Conservative » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:41 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:49 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:46 pm
To this day I still do not understand why anyone over 8 likes those movies. They are essentially a 2 hour pepsi commercial. No art involved at all.
I watched the first few with the kids, I even watched Black Panther because its reviews were so good...……….. and the film sucked so bad.

The only ones that I found entertaining were Iron Man I, Captain America I and Avengers I. After that pretty much crap.
Black Panther was nothing more than a nod to the SJWs regretfully.
#NotOneRedCent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:45 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:21 pm
The Conservative wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:01 pm

Do you like to read?
Did you edit your comment? I thought you asked about Tolkien. I like to read quite a bit when I have the time. I just don't like comics.
Well either, but here is the thing. People read Tolkien to use their imagination, some people enjoy reading comics to see someone's imagination. Comics are movies to an extent, you either like them or not.
#NotOneRedCent

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:29 am

Comics is a great medium. Some stories are best told as comics, some as books and others as movies. I’m not so fond of adaptations. Hollywood has a tendency to fuck stuff up.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:55 am

heydaralon wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:00 pm
Comics are stupid as fuck. No exceptions.
Why object to the medium rather than the content? Is a book listened to in audiobook form more "stupid" than the same content in book form? :think:

I think superhero comics (and movies/TV shows) can have a negative impact on society. But it would be harmful if superhero stories were told exclusively only in written book form, without any illustrations, and still be as popular. The notion that everything wrong in the world can be solved by superheroes is detrimental to the notion of both self-reliance, personal initiative, and achieving something through cooperation. The one and only superhero is always good, never wrong, and the rules of society do not apply to him.

It's no coincidence that superhero movies are heavily marketed to China. A society where the "little people" are mere bystanders with no agency, where the rule of law is considered to stand in the way of goodness if the superhero (or his small oligarchy of superheroes) can't get what he wants. A society where people bow and scrape before the will of the State and Authority, where the good guys are often shadowy (Deep State) organizations that takes out all those nasty supervillains threatening the stability of the status quo.

Superhero comics and movies breeds authoritarian sheep. But that's the content. Superhero movies/TV shows have the same effect, but I don't see you saying movies or TV as a medium itself is stupid as fuck.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:16 am

You can do stuff in comics that is impossible in other media. Will Eisner and Alan Moore are my favorites when it comes to the ability to fully utilize the medium.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:39 am

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:15 pm

BjornP wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:55 am
heydaralon wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:00 pm
Comics are stupid as fuck. No exceptions.
Why object to the medium rather than the content? Is a book listened to in audiobook form more "stupid" than the same content in book form? :think:

I think superhero comics (and movies/TV shows) can have a negative impact on society. But it would be harmful if superhero stories were told exclusively only in written book form, without any illustrations, and still be as popular. The notion that everything wrong in the world can be solved by superheroes is detrimental to the notion of both self-reliance, personal initiative, and achieving something through cooperation. The one and only superhero is always good, never wrong, and the rules of society do not apply to him.

It's no coincidence that superhero movies are heavily marketed to China. A society where the "little people" are mere bystanders with no agency, where the rule of law is considered to stand in the way of goodness if the superhero (or his small oligarchy of superheroes) can't get what he wants. A society where people bow and scrape before the will of the State and Authority, where the good guys are often shadowy (Deep State) organizations that takes out all those nasty supervillains threatening the stability of the status quo.

Superhero comics and movies breeds authoritarian sheep. But that's the content. Superhero movies/TV shows have the same effect, but I don't see you saying movies or TV as a medium itself is stupid as fuck.
You make some good points. Superhero stories are stupid (no exceptions). They are either:
a. propaganda to help the war effort
b. bastardized versions of religion without any of the sophistication or nuance

In that instance, I would agree that they would be retarded no matter which medium they were in.

I also agree that anthill commie proles love this kind of stuff, making it doubly stupid. I have been trying to explain to people over and over that these blockbuster movies are being marketed to Communist China. That means that enjoying them puts you in not only the lowest common denominator for America (very low) but it also puts you in the lowest common denominator for China, meaning that you are on par with subservient, evil, environmentally polluted, corner cutting, privacy destroying, civil liberty tramping, paranoid, spitting in the street, dog-eating, rhino horn powder using morons (that's like scraping the sludge and ratshit off the barrel's bottom low).

I don't like "adult comics" either. Frank Miller sucks, as does Alan Moore, and Japanese manga and anime is thinly veiled pedophilia art. The wide eyes, school girl outfits, weird fetishes. Its all shit in my opinion. I can't really think of a single comic book that I like.

Gary Larson, John Callahan, and Scott Adams made some funny stuff, but that is not serious entertainment, and it certainly isn't some deep narrative. Its like the buzzfeed equivalent of reading. You laugh and then forget it in 5 minutes until 10 years later you randomly think about it and chuckle.

And by the way, I do think that in general tv and movies as a medium are stupid as fuck. There are many great movies and shows, but mostly our tv and movie industries do produce shit. This can also be blamed on comics for several reasons. First, because these stupid superhero comics get churned out show after show, and film after film. And second, because all the bad tv in America is bad because it uses all the elements that make comics bad. Thin plot that is formulaic and serialized (comics do this). Bad dialogue and writing with more focus on explosions, action and visuals (comics do this too). One dimensional characters that are generally operating in a good vs. evil duality (comics almost always do this). Use of plots and characters to reaffirm conventional wisdom/authority (think all those Cold War/WW2 comics). So yeah, Stan Lee is a hack and comics suck shit.
Shikata ga nai

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:45 pm

"Superheroes" are--by definition--fascistic iconography, designed to imbue eager submission to a specific stimulus.

Is this a controversial statement in some way?

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:51 pm

Fife wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:45 pm
"Superheroes" are--by definition--fascistic iconography, designed to imbue eager submission to a specific stimulus.

Is this a controversial statement in some way?
Agreed. I said as much above. Its a dumb thing to like. Being a serious comic book fan would be like being a serious fan of 7/11 hot dogs or maybe to be generous Mao's little Red book.
Shikata ga nai

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:27 pm