What are you watching?

Smitty-48

Re: What are you watching?

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:59 pm

Netflix War Machine. Brad Pitt as Stan McChrystal, I chuckled throughout, making fun of McChrystal is fun.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:00 pm

Gantz:O. Anime. Bad ass.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:02 pm

Netflix BLAME! Mo Anime. Mo bad ass.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:05 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:49 pm
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:45 pm
GloryofGreece wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:44 pm

Ok, so is it subversive in that it questions the standard protocol thinking going on today? With as few spoilers as possible. (its in theaters so im not seeing it for a while most likely but if its that damn good i might go see it)
Yes.

Cameron was not even hiding it, really.
Alright im going to see it if and when i can. Ill pm to discuss afterwards and im out of this thread for now. Carry on . I hate not having many people to talk films/shows with and part of the fun is the dialogue with someone that gives a fuck after.
In particular, this relationship between the lower city and the upper city is a rejection of much of modernity. What I liked about that rejection was that it was not a luddite reaction. In fact, she represented a greater technological progress, but for good. When one of the characters was offered a trip to the flying city, which is all she wanted, she finally replied no, I have realized what I really want was never there.

The main character is truly innocent as well. It's so easy to love that character.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:07 pm

Lady Gaga Five Foot Two vs Taylor Swift Reputation.

Gaga ftw, obviously, but I wanted to see what Swift was all about. Meh.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:29 pm

Another interesting contrast between the bought professional critics and the users.

The user reviews are overwhelmingly positive. The critics seem to be carrying water for Disney. Then you see the opposite relationship with this Captain Marvel movie, with the professional shills saying it's good, and now the people that paid for the tickets saying it sucks.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:44 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:49 pm
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:45 pm
GloryofGreece wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:44 pm

Ok, so is it subversive in that it questions the standard protocol thinking going on today? With as few spoilers as possible. (its in theaters so im not seeing it for a while most likely but if its that damn good i might go see it)
Yes.

Cameron was not even hiding it, really.
Alright im going to see it if and when i can. Ill pm to discuss afterwards and im out of this thread for now. Carry on . I hate not having many people to talk films/shows with and part of the fun is the dialogue with someone that gives a fuck after.
Interesting:

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:36 pm

Damn. This guy really breaks it all down. This movie is much deeper than I had thought, and I am a huge Enoch/Nephilim dude.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:59 pm

I'm watching the new BBC adaptation of Les Misérables. Not the musical but the original novel. It’s pretty awesome. Dominic West Is great.
They do the diversity thing with the casting. It’s not a problem. They don’t change the story to explain it or something. It just colored people playing some of the white roles. Not a problem for me since they do it brilliantly.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:05 pm

When BBC did the Shakespeare Retold series like that it worked well. The actor who played Oberon was a black actor (who is a really good actor btw) and it worked pretty well.

The best one was the Taming of the Shrew, though. The cross-dressing aristocrat marrying the conservative shrew MP was hilarious.

I think where shit breaks down is when you present something as an historical piece but miscast the actors. If it's presented as an art piece, it can work really well because it's just people in our modern cultures reinterpreting older stories. It also works well when you have one culture playing off another nation's culture by picking up national stories and redoing them in the different context.

I think the only place most people get pissed is when you present it like it's somehow indicative of truth.