Re: Carl Jung, Joseph Campbell, JRR TOLKIEN, Myths and Stories

Post by GloryofGreece » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:37 am

The Philosophy of J.R.R. Tolkien: Why Things Keep Getting Worse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-sTbaH-aA0
The good, the true, & the beautiful

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:47 pm

I did begin a story placed about 100 years after the Downfall, but it proved both sinister and depressing. Since we are dealing with Men it is inevitable that we should be concerned with the most regrettable feature of their nature: their quick satiety with good. So that the people of Gondor in times of peace, justice and prosperity, would become discontented and restless — while the dynasts descended from Aragorn would become just kings and governors — like Denethor or worse. I found that even so early there was an outcrop of revolutionary plots, about a centre of secret Satanistic religion; while Gondorian boys were playing at being Orcs and going around doing damage. I could have written a 'thriller' about the plot and its discovery and overthrow — but it would have been just that. Not worth doing.

I am a Christian, and indeed a Roman Catholic, so that I do not expect 'history' to be anything but a 'long defeat' - though it contains (and in a legend may contain more clearly and movingly) some samples or glimpses of final victory.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:25 am

GloryofGreece wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 10:42 pm
Anyone ever read Drangonlance or Forgotten Realms novels?
Yes, in high school.
#NotOneRedCent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:26 am

Hastur wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:52 am
GloryofGreece wrote:Anyone ever read Drangonlance or Forgotten Realms novels?
I read some. Wouldn't recommend any of them. Except perhaps R. A. Salvatore's books about Drizzt.

Dragonlance is a mess. If you like the style of Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis read the Rose of the Prophet books instead.
Death Gate Cycle series is another good series with those two... they were decent authors overall when they worked together.
#NotOneRedCent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:30 am

As for Tolkien, he wrote in such a way that he allowed the people who read his stuff to put their own views of what each race and culture was meant to represent, it was and is the reason his writings have remained popular through generations.

And as for Tolkien being Catholic, yes he was but by the time he was done with LotR, that changed a bit. Either way I wouldn't read too deeply into that either...
#NotOneRedCent

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:40 am

TheReal_ND wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:47 pm
I did begin a story placed about 100 years after the Downfall, but it proved both sinister and depressing. Since we are dealing with Men it is inevitable that we should be concerned with the most regrettable feature of their nature: their quick satiety with good. So that the people of Gondor in times of peace, justice and prosperity, would become discontented and restless — while the dynasts descended from Aragorn would become just kings and governors — like Denethor or worse. I found that even so early there was an outcrop of revolutionary plots, about a centre of secret Satanistic religion; while Gondorian boys were playing at being Orcs and going around doing damage. I could have written a 'thriller' about the plot and its discovery and overthrow — but it would have been just that. Not worth doing.

I am a Christian, and indeed a Roman Catholic, so that I do not expect 'history' to be anything but a 'long defeat' - though it contains (and in a legend may contain more clearly and movingly) some samples or glimpses of final victory.
Yes, I essentially agree overall. Civilization, mankind more broadly, can hope for a final victory but we just don't know. You can look at major historical events and turning points etc. as a long defeat from the long duree ...civilization develops and transforms and eventually declines and falls. There really hasn't been one that hasn't went through that cycle. Maybe eventually humanity will be in a civilization that ultimately succeeds and lasts forever. Striving for something like that and hoping for the best outcome is probably a better way of looking at the potential out there. Hesitantly optimistic.
The good, the true, & the beautiful