Fitness Thread

Speaker to Animals

Re: Fitness Thread

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:06 pm

C-Mag wrote:I'm browsing the Eugene Sandow link Doc posted elsewhere, I put the link at the bottom. I like and generally agree with this guys views on strength and health.

“I am myself no believer in a special diet, still less in a rigid one, as necessary while training. :D
The old nonsense on this subject, about raw eggs and underdone meat, seems to be passing away, :snooty:
and more rational views now prevail. I eat whatever I have a taste for, without stinting myself unduly; nor do I restrict myself seriously in what I drink. :dance:
Commonly, I abjure anything intoxicating, confining myself mostly to beer and light wines. :|
Tea and coffee I never suffer myself to touch. :o
All I impose upon my appetites is that they shall be temperately indulged.” :)
– Eugen Sandow, System of Physical Training

https://wolfandiron.com/eugen-sandow-pa ... -exercise/

Sandow was a seer. I am not even kidding. That guy's books should be required reading in high school.

https://archive.org/details/b28089789

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:30 pm

Gymnastic Bodies is providing access to ALL of their training programs for $30/mo..

I have been using their handstand course. It's pretty cool. There is a nice web app that adjusts your training plan for you as you train. All the progressions are worked in there. There actually seems to be quite a lot of content with them, though I have only bought that one course. I will check it out next month and let you guys know about the other programs if your interested.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:02 pm

Been working on this for a few weeks:

I am getting along pretty well, but man I think it's about to get a lot harder after the tucked back lever.

Since I seriously started on the rings, my shoulders have gone from pretty fucked up all the way to pretty mobile. I still feel a little soreness in my left rotator cuff every now and again, but it goes away after a day. My shoulder mobility is greatly increased. I don't get those clicking sounds when I rotate my arms any longer.

The cool part is that you can go outside and workout. Just hang them from some trees on a jogging trail or whatever.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:44 pm

In addition to the front and back levers, this is the type of shit I am working on now.

The rings make a lame pull-up look boss as shit in the gym.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:29 pm

I wonder if those crossfit chicks kip while you're laying pipe too.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:17 am

Penn State Orders Century-Old Outdoor Club To Stop Outdoor Activities
I recently discussed my chagrin at a challenge to the wonderful outdoor program for first-year students at Bates College. As a lifelong backpacker and hiker, I have always admired Bates for the program. One of the oldest college clubs is the Penn State Outing Club, which is 98 years old. In one of the most moronic decisions of the year, Penn State has announced that its outdoor recreation club will not be allowed to go outside because it is too dangerous to be out in the wilderness.

The Outing Club was reportedly not consulted and simply told that Penn State was barring outdoor activities, claiming student safety. It is such a maddeningly moronic decision that one is caught between disbelief and an utter contempt. As we have previously discussed, hiking has been found to have tremendous psychological benefits. The Japanese called it “forest bathing” and as a lifelong backpacker and hiker, I can attest the impact of being in nature can face on stress and mood. With schools dealing with rising levels of depression, hiking has been found as effective or more effective than medication. It appears to have a lasting impact on brain operations with a pronounced impact on depression.Yet, while the school will gladly handout anti-depression drugs, it will kill one of the most effective programs in giving students a sense of well-being.

These are adults going to college. They are in an ample position to judge the risks and waive liability where appropriate. Yet, not only this old outdoor club but two other such clubs have been ordered to discontinue their outdoor activities. It is a disgrace and something that the faculty should address. The ultimate responsibility rests with President Eric Barron and his obviously sheltered administrative staff. I supposed when you create a fictitious “Nittany Lion” as your mascot, students can just pretend that they go outdoors to see one in the wild.
What a bunch of pussies running that school.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat May 05, 2018 9:33 am

FYI..

Since I started gymnastic strength training, my body changed quite rapidly. The v-shape is coming in. Muscles are growing faster. My entire core area is getting pretty developed. I am talking about significant changes in about three months now.

For me at least, GST is far superior to anything else I have tried. Like not even in the same ballpark as anything else. It's really demanding, though.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat May 05, 2018 10:29 am

Good job man

Gymnasts are always in amazing shape

My training is working well now too, down to 163 with more or less a six pack. I'd guess I'm at 12-15% body fat right now. But this last cut didn't come from training, as life has gotten in the way and I can only hit the gym 4 or 5 days a week right now, it came from a combination of IF and low carbing (not full keto)
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat May 05, 2018 11:44 am

You still do MMA style training?

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat May 05, 2018 12:31 pm

Yup, that's all i'm doing

And surfing but that's barely exercise
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session