Political Parenting: Greta Thurnberg edition

Your teenage child is bullied for their political views which mimick your own. You are:

Proud and encourage them
43%
Horrified that they have been exposed to propaganda.
57%

Total votes: 7

Smitty-48

Re: Political Parenting: Greta Thurnberg edition

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:00 am

C-Mag wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:35 am
However, historically humans at the age of 16 were pretty much adults. As I'm against how our society keeps pushing back the age of responsibility of young adults, I'm fine with whatever.
True enough, I was actually sworn into the military 90 days before my 17th birthday, which is permitted with parents consent, and my father signed the papers after he kicked me out of the house.

This Swedish kid is semi retarded tho, she's clearly lacking in faculty in terms of critical and independent thought.

They're not sending her to the School of Hard Knocks to be taught about life, they're propping her up as some sort of messianic cult leader.
Nec Aspera Terrent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:07 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:00 am
C-Mag wrote:
However, historically humans at the age of 16 were pretty much adults. As I'm against how our society keeps pushing back the age of responsibility of young adults, I'm fine with whatever.
True enough, I was actually sworn into the military 90 days before my 17th birthday, which is permitted with parents consent, and my father signed the papers after he kicked me out of the house.

This Swedish kid is semi retarded tho, she's clearly lacking in faculty in terms of critical and independent thought.

They're not sending her to the School of Hard Knocks to be taught about life, they're propping her up as some sort of messianic cult leader.
She has 5 diagnosed mental disorders...…………… seriously, she even says so.
How is this good for her ? I'm not going to listen to her or have much sympathy when the world crushes her and leaves her behind. Too late for that, I didn't put her in a position to get crushed.

I'm pretty low on give a fucks for child propaganda.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:10 am

C-Mag wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:07 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:00 am
C-Mag wrote:

She has 5 diagnosed mental disorders...…………… seriously, she even says so.
How is this good for her ? I'm not going to listen to her or have much sympathy when the world crushes her and leaves her behind. Too late for that, I didn't put her in a position to get crushed.

I'm pretty low on give a fucks for child propaganda.
Well, my father would not have allowed me to run off and join a cult, he signed me over to the Canadian Army because he had confidence that they would sort me out and put me on the right track to be able to deal with any situation I might get myself into.

If someone told my father we want your son to be a messianic cult figure, no way he was agreeing to that.
Nec Aspera Terrent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:12 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Boiling it down to a cult is fucking brilliant. :clap:
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:22 am

Severe blue pill addiction goes hand-in-hand with complete absorption into cults.

Human mimetic conditioning and critical thought don't play together well.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:26 am

Hastur wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:36 am

I'm not attacking Greta. I'm making fun of the surrounding cult. Not the same thing. I think she is the victim of severe child abuse. It's not her fault.
Alright then, but by turning her, a 16 year old girl from a culture that has a tradition of youth politics, into a victim of "abuse", you are turning disagreement into pathology. Do you seriously, honestly, believe she is the victim of child abuse? Even if true, that logically cannot be true for all the kids who demonstrated last week.

I think it best to treat kids about to enter adulthood seriously without having to believe them. In my experience, young people are possibly even more respectful of authority than my own generation. (And no, that's not neccesarily a good thing, they have be skeptical and do the due research). If you treat them with respect, I've found that they are willing to listen. They are still too black and white in their thinking, too uninformed but that's how they learn: By debating with their elders.

But treat a teenager at 16 like they are child that can't understand anything, can't take an independent stand on an issue, just reinforces a low expectation of kids.. and thus of them as adults. And those kids with low expectations grow up to become adult politicians with low expectations. And those politicians suddenly find themselves with a Yellow Vest revolt on their hands...
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:31 am

C-Mag wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:12 am
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Boiling it down to a cult is fucking brilliant. :clap:
Bear in mind that my father was a leftist and a pacifist, but he was also a hockey player and an enforcer on and off the ice, so if I had tried to run off and join some loonie climate cult, wouldn't have mattered if I was a legal adult or not, he would have come and grabbed me by the scruff and marched me out of there, no if ands nor buts, anybody who got in his way would have been knocked the fuck out for that, and then he would have kept on marching.
Nec Aspera Terrent

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:35 am

C-Mag wrote:
I have some conflicting feelings on this.

My initial instincts are that parents job is to provide for basic needs, protect and build their kids into being productive adults. Any parents that put their kids out there like this are fucking up.

I view Greta like a Jon Benet Ramsey, put out there by parents and handlers to gain fame and fortune by using their kids.
This kid will hopefully learn that it takes more than just a scolding speech for the world to change its consumption patterns.

I can follow Hastur's antipathy against the "cult", but I feel that way about anyone who puts too much faith in savior figures, or who thinks that an issue needs "a face". Just think how distracted people have become by Trump's antics to rationally discuss immigration reform in the US. Issues should never have a "face". Too vulnerable to guilt by association bullshit.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:37 am

CJ Pearson Challenges Climate Change Activist Greta Thunberg to Debate

Prominent young conservative CJ Pearson (17) challenged climate change doomsayer Greta Thunberg to a debate on the subject over the weekend.

Thunberg is a Swedish teen who has been given international headlines by corporate media as climate strike protests take place across America.
CJ Pearson
@thecjpearson
.@GretaThunberg - teen to teen - let’s meet on the battlefield of ideas and debate the merits of your claim that climate change is the existential crisis you characterize it to be.

What do you say?
this is what should happen. only then will we find out who the smartest 5th grader is

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:44 am

pineapplemike wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:37 am
this is what should happen. only then will we find out who the smartest 5th grader is
Two kids enter, one kid leaves.

Nec Aspera Terrent