The Good News Thread

DBTrek

Re: The Good News Thread

Post by DBTrek » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:40 am

C-Mag wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:05 am
Biden is in the, 'You'll own nothing and be happy' crowd.
The question is, if you can't do what you want with your property, do you own it ? Should a person be able to put aftermarket wheels or spinners on their car ? Should a person be able to change the oil in their car without voiding the warranty?

In most cell phones it's as simple as replacing a screen or battery. For tractors, the thing breaks down and the farmer has to wait for a Certified Dealer Mechanic to show up, while his crops whither. I'm in the crowd where I paid you money for a product, it was yours, now it's mine. Don't tell me what I can do with it. WTF is next, the computer shutting me down because I'm speeding ?
Here's my concern as a complete know-nothing on the topic:
A farmer can fix his tractor now. Just buy the part, and fix it. Does that void the warranty? Well ... fuck the warranty. If the warranty will pay for fixing it, then use it. If it won't - well your shit is broken and the warranty ain't fixing it, so again, fuckit.

But what if the government comes in with it's usual slimy overreach and double dealing, and pretends they're going to "give you the right" to repair shit. But what they're really going to do is craft some legislation that benefits themselves and their cronies, and says "You can fix things THIS particular way (a way that benefits us), but all other ways are illegal"?

Could just be my latent distrust of government coming to the forefront - but that's my initial reaction to this topic that I know nothing about.
:lol:
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

TheOneX

Post by TheOneX » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:21 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:40 am
C-Mag wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:05 am
Biden is in the, 'You'll own nothing and be happy' crowd.
The question is, if you can't do what you want with your property, do you own it ? Should a person be able to put aftermarket wheels or spinners on their car ? Should a person be able to change the oil in their car without voiding the warranty?

In most cell phones it's as simple as replacing a screen or battery. For tractors, the thing breaks down and the farmer has to wait for a Certified Dealer Mechanic to show up, while his crops whither. I'm in the crowd where I paid you money for a product, it was yours, now it's mine. Don't tell me what I can do with it. WTF is next, the computer shutting me down because I'm speeding ?
Here's my concern as a complete know-nothing on the topic:
A farmer can fix his tractor now. Just buy the part, and fix it. Does that void the warranty? Well ... fuck the warranty. If the warranty will pay for fixing it, then use it. If it won't - well your shit is broken and the warranty ain't fixing it, so again, fuckit.

But what if the government comes in with it's usual slimy overreach and double dealing, and pretends they're going to "give you the right" to repair shit. But what they're really going to do is craft some legislation that benefits themselves and their cronies, and says "You can fix things THIS particular way (a way that benefits us), but all other ways are illegal"?

Could just be my latent distrust of government coming to the forefront - but that's my initial reaction to this topic that I know nothing about.
:lol:
The problem is that more and more often you can't just buy the part and fix it. Increasingly, the option to buy the part is not there because the company will only sell parts to authorized dealers, or it requires a special proprietary tool to uninstall and install the part if you are able to get your hands on a compatible part. The issue isn't just they have some kind of end user agreement that voids the warranty, people would just ignore it, and repair their tractor is that was the case. The problem is they design these machines to be as difficult to repair on your own as possible.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:38 pm

Good Posts Guys.

I can see the government fixing it by mandating that you get a license to repair a certain product, then be required to use certified parts. :dance:

The government fixed bad hair weaves by making people get trained and licensed to weave hair. :lol:
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:40 pm

Yeah, it’s more than that. Tractor manufacturers have the right to sue you for using diagnostic software, and their systems are encrypted to prevent ‘tampering’ by third party solutions.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:42 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:40 pm
Yeah, it’s more than that. Tractor manufacturers have the right to sue you for using diagnostic software, and their systems are encrypted to prevent ‘tampering’ by third party solutions.
Ah ... well then that's bullshit.
Once the property is mine, I don't think a company gets to sue me for doing anything with it.
If I commit a crime with it, that's a government issue.
Otherwise, fuckoff.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:43 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
This has created a huge market for ' Dumb Tractors ' old tractors that were scrap 10-20 years ago are now worth more than when they were new. I love it. It's starting to happen with cars and trucks too. BTW, new trucks are very, very comfortable. Beyond that, they do very little an old truck would do, and can take no abuse.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:57 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:42 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Once the property is mine, I don't think a company gets to sue me for doing anything with it.
Otherwise, fuckoff.
It's amusing to hear that from people... I find it almost hilarious in some cases. People bitch about "I paid for it, so it should be mine to do with how I want... and the government has no say in it"... when we have been trained like monkeys to actually accept that exact mentality and issue with actual property.

We pay 5k to 10 Million+ for a property, and we are told that we can't fix it, can't repair it, can't build on it without the state saying it is OK to do so... yet when it comes to hardware, we take a hissyfit...

Is anyone here not seeing the irony?
#NotOneRedCent

TheOneX

Post by TheOneX » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:09 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:57 pm
DBTrek wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:42 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Otherwise, fuckoff.
It's amusing to hear that from people... I find it almost hilarious in some cases. People bitch about "I paid for it, so it should be mine to do with how I want... and the government has no say in it"... when we have been trained like monkeys to actually accept that exact mentality and issue with actual property.

We pay 5k to 10 Million+ for a property, and we are told that we can't fix it, can't repair it, can't build on it without the state saying it is OK to do so... yet when it comes to hardware, we take a hissyfit...

Is anyone here not seeing the irony?
You are not the only one. The only valid reason to need any permission to build something is with regards to connecting to services. If the sewage system at that location cannot handle what is being proposed then that probably should not be built.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:13 pm

Property can also entail externalities that small, hand-held devices do not.
Pour some oil on your hammer, no one cares.
Dump oil across an acre of land, adjacent to other single family homes, that's a problem.

I don't really see in conflict at all, unless you believe acres of land and a claw hammer are identical "property", completely indistinguishable from each other.

But who would think that?

Derp.

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:11 pm

SaaS is coming on strong with the purpose of being an all-consuming fire.

At least you don't have to have electricity or software to hand load ammo.

So far.