clubgop

Re: MLB 2019 -- Official Discussion Thread

Post by clubgop » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:14 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:07 pm
Fife wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:04 am
40 years ago:

Disco Demolition at 40: 2 views of an explosive promotion that caught fire at Comiskey Park in 1979

https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/335873/

The Disco Demolition at Comiskey story was the hot topic of discussion among our Dixie Youth baseball league members for a couple of days. Our half-black, half-white league hated the damn Bee Gees and the torment that Casey Kasem put us through while waiting for the decent rock and soul tunes.

Us old bastards remember how campy and ubiquitous "Death to Disco" was in all of pop culture in '79.

Ok, walk me through the disco backlash. I get that it was intense, but I don’t know why - I was busy being born that year.
It was ubiquitous. It creeped into everything. Instead of everybody and their mom releasing a Christmas album they were putting out disco albums, it sucked up all the attention from every other genre of music. It was unavoidable and mass media then wasn't as niche as it is now. If Old town Road last longer on the charts and others copy that success the backlash against trap beats is going to happen as well.

Some would say it was a racial thing, attacking a black dominated genre of music, but there were plenty of white artists too and even gangster rap at its most violent never got the backlash that disco got. And blacks didn't stick with it either, they went back to R&B while the kids discovered hip hop.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:08 pm

hmm.. always figured disco was a white thing. It's a pretty far cry from funk, which was on the scene then.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:45 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:08 pm
hmm.. always figured disco was a white thing. It's a pretty far cry from funk, which was on the scene then.
Dude what? Funk is disco with a thumping baseline.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/?utm_term=.2c93faa24871
On the Differences between funk and disco. Washington Post 1979
This is most certainly getting added to the list of shit you are momentously wrong about.

Just look at some of the all time disco hits, black artists.
Gloria Gaynor
Donna Summer
Barry White
Sister Sledge
and that just scratches the surface.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:59 pm

Yeah, Funk is Soul fused with Disco. It's still four to the floor beat, but it's the first beat that counts.

e.g.

Disco and House are the same beat, but each beat is usually equal. Funk differs with the style the base guitarist generally plays. Other than that, it's basically Soul and Disco.

edit:

I just realize Dolph Lundgren's character was the good guy this whole time.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:11 am

clubgop wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:45 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:08 pm
Dude what? Funk is disco with a thumping baseline.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/?utm_term=.2c93faa24871
On the Differences between funk and disco. Washington Post 1979
This is most certainly getting added to the list of shit you are momentously wrong about.

Just look at some of the all time disco hits, black artists.
Gloria Gaynor
Donna Summer
Barry White
Sister Sledge
and that just scratches the surface.
I wouldn’t call Barry white disco, except for ‘can’t get enough of your love’

But yeah, I know most disco artists were black. I just can’t see many black people listening to it. It’s the whitest thing since country.

Interesting point about disco = soul, cmag. They are wildly different styles, but the beats are similar.

Try mashing ‘burn baby burn’ with ‘living in america’.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:43 am

I wouldn’t call Barry white disco, except for ‘can’t get enough of your love’
That is the point I was making. No one was really disco it just got so popular and so overdone that it was the only way to get noticed get any airtime.

Gloria Gaynor and Donna Sommer were soul/gospel, Dianna Ross was R&B, they tried to steer Elvis into disco, Pat Boone put out a disco record. Elton John did as well.

If I had to think of someone who was disco and only disco Bee Gees, KC and the Sunshine band, but they were few.

PartyOf5

Post by PartyOf5 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:29 am

Kiss even went disco for a minute. I don't know how someone could think disco was just a white thing though.

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:04 am

All disco wasn't bad.

The backlash was to entertainment created by suits just for mass consumption. Disco was the anti-rock and roll. Nowadays, EVERYTHING is anti-rock and roll. You all are living in Boogie Wonderland and don't realize it.

You youngsters probably can't really sense how things were when this record (produced in my hometown) hit number 1 on Billboard in 1977.

Not a bad song, but just DJ schtick that made a bundle, and I mean a bundle, for Rick Dees.

We had Meat Loaf and Bob Seger at the same time. There's not much counterculture any longer.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:07 am

Disco is still in full force. We just call it House now.

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:13 am

We got disco coming out of our fucking ears. That's all there is.

Meat Loaf, we hardly knew ye.