Civil War Doomsday Clock

Speaker to Animals

Re: Civil War Doomsday Clock

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun May 19, 2019 12:37 pm

Engineering is not simply a skillset and I suspect you neither understand what the red herring fallacy means.

Engineering: college required.

Database admin: trade.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Sun May 19, 2019 12:41 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:00 am
I think it’s a testosterone thing; something to do with survival & competitiveness.

I do everything myself but I don’t enjoy it much after the first time because that’s where the challenge is.

p.s. There’s no shortage of doctors, just people who don’t want to live in Shitholes.
If there are no unemployed doctors and a lack of needed doctors in some geographic regions, then logically there is a shortage of doctors.
:royalty-queen:

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Sun May 19, 2019 12:56 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 12:37 pm
Engineering is not simply a skillset and I suspect you neither understand what the red herring fallacy means.

There’s a bigger issue here: a college degree is the new high school diploma. I learned the skills I needed in high school, but that hasn’t been true for the past generation. They can’t write it or do math to the same level as the high school graduate of the past. This is not necessarily a bad thing if we take into account that there is more to learn, but it makes college an extension of high school. It might make sense to have trade colleges in that case, where the basic educational skills are completed and the trade skills are taught. Might do something for our democracy if colleges taught the tracks together, so kids who go into trades are educated along with kids going into the professions or business.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun May 19, 2019 12:59 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 12:56 pm

There’s a bigger issue here: a college degree is the new high school diploma. I learned the skills I needed in high school, but that hasn’t been true for the past generation. They can’t write it or do math to the same level as the high school graduate of the past. This is not necessarily a bad thing if we take into account that there is more to learn, but it makes college an extension of high school. It might make sense to have trade colleges in that case, where the basic educational skills are completed and the trade skills are taught. Might do something for our democracy if colleges taught the tracks together, so kids who go into trades are educated along with kids going into the professions or business.

1. You should no go to a 4 year university to learn trade skills.

2. Universities are no longer even providing real education anyway.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun May 19, 2019 1:01 pm

Sun May 19, 2019 12:59 pm
MilSpecs wrote:

We all know that. Now convince every HR dept in the country.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun May 19, 2019 1:02 pm

Lol so you’re clinging to the university gate keeping in the very next post. Oh lord.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun May 19, 2019 1:05 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:02 pm

Lol so you’re clinging to the university gate keeping in the very next post. Oh lord.
Engineering is not a trade. You seem confused as to the difference.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Sun May 19, 2019 1:19 pm

Sun May 19, 2019 12:59 pm
MilSpecs wrote:

It might make more logistical sense to have joint colleges than to extend high school followed by trade school, and it would definitely benefit our democracy. As to your second point, I have great confidence in the younger professionals I work with and hire. Universities are educating people just fine.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun May 19, 2019 1:46 pm

Sun May 19, 2019 1:05 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

Quite confused. Is it a science? A philosophy? A way of being?

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun May 19, 2019 1:50 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:46 pm
Sun May 19, 2019 1:05 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

Quite confused. Is it a science? A philosophy? A way of being?
:roll: