2020 election

Montegriffo

Re: 2020 election

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:16 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:05 pm
None of the farmers I know would buy something like that. There are, however, a huge number of farms that operate at a loss, and they are more philosophical/religious ventures than anything else. They usually get funding in other ways than the market. It's most likely meant for operations like that.

Most profitable farmers are so fucking cheap it's really off the charts. You can have a guy who is essentially a millionaire out in the Midwest and he drives a 30 year old truck and would never buy something like this. You have to look at the bottom line at all times, not your feelz.
More likely that the larger farms will be the first to adopt them. They spend huge amounts of money on equipment. New combines can cost upwards of a quarter of a million and large tractors over 100k. They will replace old units with electric alternatives as they become too old to be reliable and cost effective.
Reduced running costs will make them a viable option.
Once smaller 2nd hand models hit the market then the smaller less profitable farms will follow suit.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

brewster

Post by brewster » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:32 pm

If I were a farmer I'd want really old school, steam. Throw whatever you have lying around into the combustion chamber. Steam makes great sense for relatively constant drive like a farm tractor, it lost to IC mostly for bad acceleration.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:59 pm

And if it blows up in a horrific steam tractor explosion, you just need to run to Home Depot to get another migrant worker.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:00 pm

Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:52 pm
pineapplemike wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:06 am
and as soon as I can afford one I'll drive an electric car.
god bless the oil and gas industry

the major advancements made by today's electric vehicles were made possible by petrochemicals derived from oil and natural gas
That's kind of a bad argument.

You still have those plastic costs buying any alternative vehicle to the EV. It's a sunk cost in petrochemicals, but it's fixed, and it's universal (so it doesn't really make a distinction between gas and electric vehicles). Yet the EVs don't necessarily consume any oil in order to drive, whereas gas vehicles consume large quantities of gas and oil each year.

Where you might have an edge on them is if the utility power used to produce electricity that charges the EV is run on coal or natural gas. If it's nuclear power, then no, they come out ahead in terms of impact on environment.
Well they have an unnecessary fear of nuclear so you can make them feel even worse than coal or NG.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:08 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:13 pm
PartyOf5 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:34 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:08 am
I'm going nowhere, suck it snowflake.
Save that talk for your little boy toys.
OK, that's 3 times now in the last couple of days. You can join Clubby on the naughty step.
Bye.
Praise be to me. For I saved yet another from the stupid capricious complaining of English Flaggot, instead of his overwrought dramatics you simply get to tell the truth about him. The pioneers take the arrows.

PartyOf5

Post by PartyOf5 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:09 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:15 pm
pineapplemike wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:37 pm
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:52 pm
That's kind of a bad argument.

You still have those plastic costs buying any alternative vehicle to the EV. It's a sunk cost in petrochemicals, but it's fixed, and it's universal (so it doesn't really make a distinction between gas and electric vehicles). Yet the EVs don't necessarily consume any oil in order to drive, whereas gas vehicles consume large quantities of gas and oil each year.

Where you might have an edge on them is if the utility power used to produce electricity that charges the EV is run on coal or natural gas. If it's nuclear power, then no, they come out ahead in terms of impact on environment.
i take your point i were merely responding to the "ban oil and gas" crowd, wherever they may be
Would it help to think of them as the ''phase-out oil and gas'' crowd?
Instead of berating oil and gas just come up with something better, STFU, and let the market decide. If there alternative is better the market will reflect it.

PartyOf5

Post by PartyOf5 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:12 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:13 pm
PartyOf5 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:34 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:08 am
I'm going nowhere, suck it snowflake.
Save that talk for your little boy toys.
OK, that's 3 times now in the last couple of days. You can join Clubby on the naughty step.
Bye.
Aw, poor guy. You talked shit about ankle biting, me being a whiny bitch, called me a snowflake and told me to suck it among other insults. Now you can't take your own shit being thrown back at you.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:23 pm

brewster wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:32 pm
If I were a farmer I'd want really old school, steam. Throw whatever you have lying around into the combustion chamber. Steam makes great sense for relatively constant drive like a farm tractor, it lost to IC mostly for bad acceleration.
Useful for static work maybe. They used one here until about 5 years ago for driving the threshing drum. The guy who owned it had to sell it because of the maintenance costs though. Regular checks and repairs of the boiler are really expensive and they have to be inspected and pressure tested for safety reasons. You can't legally fire up an uncertified one and it only takes one leaky rivet or pipe to fail it.
They are too heavy for fieldwork though so you have to have two of them pulling a plough on cables up and down the field which is time consuming and labour intensive.
They use a lot of fuel and water too. You'd have to use a lot of land to grow willow or some other fast growing wood if you wanted to avoid using coal.
A driver and fireman on each plus another bringing fuel and water so at least 5 men to do what one could do with a tractor much faster.
Right up till the war it was horses which still did the majority of fieldwork but horses aren't particularly cheap either when you take into account land for fodder and pasture plus vet and farrier bills. They were slow too. Only an acre a day when ploughing.
Maybe there is room for modern technology and materials to be applied to new designs of steam power but unless they are electric you are still burning carbon.
The local steam rally is coming up and I'm hoping to be able to go along and help with the threshing display making thatching straw for the farm.
https://www.flickriver.com/groups/23723 ... ol/random/
https://hiveminer.com/Tags/garrett%2Cipswich
This is Paul's drum in action at a different rally a couple of years ago.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:31 pm

This is how I roll.
1958 Ford 641 Workmaster
49 hp
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:40 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:31 pm
This is how I roll.
1958 Ford 641 Workmaster
49 hp
Very nice, is that yours or a google image?