Re: Social Justice Warriors Thread

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:25 pm

California wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:41 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:37 pm
The Conservative wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:15 am

The days of having technology on premises is of the past, servers today are virtual.

You have one computer doing virtualization for almost everything with a second computer for redundancy. And that’s if you have an old company with legacy hardware. Or a company just starting up, or an admin that’s old school.

Today, people are using AWS, or other companies that have server farms to virtually host their server for them.

Companies like Amazon have acres of servers kept at cooler temperatures. Got to have servers somewhere.

Today if you are lucky you’ll have a single room, mostly a closet or of the sort that has AC pumped into it year round that handles all the networking. Patch routers, and perhaps the only server you’ll have is a firewall. Or a NAS for data that can’t leave premises, due to HIPAA laws or some BS.

Most of the tech today, you’ll be lucky if you see a server on site.

Only exception to that rule is if you have an admin that’s a control freak.
...or an admin that actually cares about security.

I’d much rather have my servers on prem - especially anything used for production processing. It’s cheaper, more reliable, and more secure.

And if you’re shipping your reporting data offsite, you may as well kiss that budget goodbye.
In my world, nothing that actually matters is virtual or offsite. Both of those lack the quickness to fix needed in an environment like mine
On the last little true crime film job I did they deleted 4 hrs of footage by mistake and half the crew had to work their day off to shoot it all again.
Red faces all around. :doh:
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:41 am

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -over.html
The black woman who will be the next 007: New James Bond film will feature British actress Lashana Lynch
Doesn't bother me to see a BF in a spy role....bothers me that it's 007. Another brand about to tank.

People can sense forcing of the "ideology" and flee....

Guess the SJWs win either way - the fall of 007 would be another remnant of OWG culture taken down.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:46 am

i want mclovin to play shaft

PartyOf5

Post by PartyOf5 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:34 pm

The brits will probably lament that it's not a Muslim taking over as 007. That would be more true to life :lol:

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:10 pm

While Daniel Craig is set to reprise his role as James Bond in the next film, the franchise is set for a shake-up, with reports claiming that black British actor Lashana Lynch has been cast as 007 – taking over Bond’s secret agent number after his character leaves MI6.
The new 007 is a black woman – don't make her a Bond girl

The Mail has quoted from an anonymous “movie insider”, who says that the 25th film opens with Bond (Craig), retired in Jamaica, being called back to action to fight a new villain.

“There is a pivotal scene at the start of the film where M says, “Come in 007”, and in walks Lashana who is black, beautiful and a woman,” the source said. “It’s a popcorn-dropping moment. Bond is still Bond but he’s been replaced as 007.”
That sounds like a good film to me.
Craig is an excellent Bond but they ran out of Flemming's books ages ago so why not take it in a new direction. It's Craig's last time whatever happens, another crap Bond like Timothy Doulton would kill the franchise anyway. It was only really revived successfully after Craig took the role.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:24 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:25 pm

On the last little true crime film job I did they deleted 4 hrs of footage by mistake and half the crew had to work their day off to shoot it all again.
I heard it was due to the cast and crew all having food poisoning ?

:whistle:
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:29 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:24 pm
Montegriffo wrote:

Jack Dee the comedian made that very same joke about 10 years ago when I asked him if he'd enjoyed his day off.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:33 pm

You probably don't know Jack Dee...

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:13 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:29 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:

Jack Dee the comedian made that very same joke about 10 years ago when I asked him if he'd enjoyed his day off.
That's where I got the line, The Jackal, what his mates call him, let me in on the joke
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:43 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:13 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:29 pm
C-Mag wrote:

That's where I got the line, The Jackal, what his mates call him, let me in on the joke
He is one of the nicest stars that I've worked with. Most of them send some groveling lackey to fetch their lunch and don't really want to talk to people.
Jack used to join the back of the queue behind extras and sparkies and was pretty quiet and undemanding. Every now and then he would say something with his ultra-dry, deadpan delivery that would have us spitting our tea out.

Sometimes I wish I'd collected a few autographs over the years but I would have felt like such a dick for asking.
The only one I've got is the one I got from Vinny Jones last year and I chickened out and got his driver to ask for me.