Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:18 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:08 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:00 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:52 pm

Everyone needs a little Lebensraum.
It was definitely a slow creep at first. I only tilled up a small portion at first, testing for resitance. Then slowly spread my domain across the lot, each year.

Last summer, I planted 2 apple trees, and low-fenced the entire thing, to dispose of pesky interlopers.

Die Farmer Uber Alles!
Strength through joy.
Hear Hear

Happy Warrior
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Re: The Good News Thread

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:19 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:12 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:00 pm

It was definitely a slow creep at first. I only tilled up a small portion at first, testing for resitance. Then slowly spread my domain across the lot, each year.

Last summer, I planted 2 apple trees, and low-fenced the entire thing, to dispose of pesky interlopers.

Die Farmer Uber Alles!
Strength through joy.
There was a forced relocation of the local opossums as well. They were lured into cages and transported out o the countryside.

There is also a groundhog resistance cell embedded underneath my shed. Efforts have been made at extermination, yet resistance continues.
The exhaust piped from a car is a painless way of disposing of burrowing animals. Block up all the entrances you can find and final solution the pesky little pests.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:24 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:19 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:

Strength through joy.
There was a forced relocation of the local opossums as well. They were lured into cages and transported out o the countryside.

There is also a groundhog resistance cell embedded underneath my shed. Efforts have been made at extermination, yet resistance continues.
The exhaust piped from a car is a painless way of disposing of burrowing animals. Block up all the entrances you can find and final solution the pesky little pests.
Pretty tough to form any kind of seal around the shed for proper gas executions. One must do these things properly.

Our planning department is considering a lead-tipped approach, once social order has broken down.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:56 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:24 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

Pretty tough to form any kind of seal around the shed for proper gas executions. One must do these things properly.

Our planning department is considering a lead-tipped approach, once social order has broken down.
We don't have groundhogs here, do they not live underground in burrows?
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:20 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:56 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:

I really don’t know tbh. The bastard lives under my shed and comes out in the early morning to forage. The shed is raised a few inches off the dirt, so I can’t tell what he’s doing in there.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:26 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:20 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:56 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

I really don’t know tbh. The bastard lives under my shed and comes out in the early morning to forage. The shed is raised a few inches off the dirt, so I can’t tell what he’s doing in there.
If you got yourself a dog that would probably be enough to make it move home. Maybe dog sit for a friend if you don't want one of your own.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:31 pm

They are burrowing rodents according to Wikipedia
Groundhogs are excellent burrowers, using burrows for sleeping, rearing young, and hibernating. W. J. Schoonmaker excavated 11 dens finding the earth removed from these averaged six cubic feet or four and eight-tenths bushels per den. The longest burrow was 24 feet plus 2 short side galleries. The amount of soil taken from this den was eight bushels and it weighed 640 pounds. The average weight of the earth taken from all eleven dens was 384 pounds.[63] Though groundhogs are the most solitary of the marmots, several individuals may occupy the same burrow. Groundhog burrows usually have two to five entrances, providing groundhogs their primary means of escape from predators. Burrows can pose a serious threat to agricultural and residential development by damaging farm machinery and even undermining building foundations.[52] In a June 7, 2009 Humane Society of the United States article, "How to Humanely Chuck a Woodchuck Out of Your Yard", John Griffin, director of Humane Wildlife Services, stated you would have to have a lot of woodchucks working over a lot of years to create tunnel systems that would pose any risk to a structure.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:33 pm

Both their diet and habit of burrowing make them serious nuisance animals around farms and gardens. They will eat many commonly grown vegetables, and their burrows can destroy farm ponds and undermine foundations.

Very often the dens of groundhogs provide homes for other animals including skunks, red foxes, and cottontail rabbits. The fox and skunk feed upon field mice, grasshoppers, beetles and other creatures that destroy farm crops. In aiding these animals, the groundhog indirectly helps the farmer. In addition to providing homes for itself and other animals, the groundhog aids in soil improvement by bringing subsoil to the surface. The groundhog is also a valuable game animal and is considered a difficult sport when hunted in a fair manner.[82] In some parts of the U.S., they have been eaten.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:35 pm

Lawdy, the missus made three loafs of bread, three different kinds

Moar bread than ever, bread coming out of our ears

So fresh it's like cake, I'm just eating bread for dessert, with pb&j
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:39 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:35 pm
Lawdy, the missus made three loafs of bread, three different kinds

Moar bread than ever, bread coming out of our ears

So fresh it's like cake, I'm just eating bread for dessert, with pb&j
My second loaf came out of the oven about an hour ago, I'm still full from my curry though so I haven't tried it yet.
My truck smells very nice though.