Europe, Boring Until it's Not

Montegriffo

Re: Europe, boring until it's not

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:50 am

The Conservative wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
The Conservative wrote:what part are you having an issue understanding?
The part where you are upset by single words having multiple meanings.
Bow can mean a type of tie or knot, a weapon which fires arrows, bending at the waist to show respect, the pointy end of a boat, playing a stringed instrument with a horse haired rod (also the rod itself), a district in East London, a curved stroke forming part of a letter, a metal ring forming part of the handle of a pair of scissors, the lense frame of a pair of glasses.
Which of the above do you think should be the exclusive definition of the word?
Except they have different ways of saying the same word too...

What started this is I have an issue with the term used because it's being used improperly because people are dumb and refuse to educate themselves properly. Heaven forbid... are you telling me that you would rather have an uneducated populous bastardizing the English language because they are "evolving" the word, instead of using proper English to describe a person, place or situation?
Write down all the words for penis that you have ever used then tell me which one of them is the ''correct'' one. If you can't do this then you are being a bit of a todger.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:53 am

The Conservative wrote:
BjornP wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
Actually, I did answer it; you just didn't like the answer.

I said it is a slur, and why it is a slur. If you can't comprehend that simple statement, then I can't help you. I can lead you to water...
The question did not revolve around wether or not it's a slur. :roll: I exclusively want to know if you understand that its use , again it's use as a slur is real or not.
I already said it was, what part are you having an issue understanding?
Because you said this to Penner regarding "near miss" pointing to the dictionary:
The first definition is the correct, anything after that is the modern age attempting to re-purpose a word.

Look at the word faggot and you'll see what I mean.here is a hint. Faggot of wood.
Iow, what I have trouble understanding is what, if any, distinction you make between a not correct definition of a word and a "modern age attempt to re-purpose" a word. Is there any? Do you, for example, correct co-workers who call a gay person a faggot by telling them: "You're using that word incorrectly. Faggot really means a bundle of sticks"?
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:54 am

Montegriffo wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
The part where you are upset by single words having multiple meanings.
Bow can mean a type of tie or knot, a weapon which fires arrows, bending at the waist to show respect, the pointy end of a boat, playing a stringed instrument with a horse haired rod (also the rod itself), a district in East London, a curved stroke forming part of a letter, a metal ring forming part of the handle of a pair of scissors, the lense frame of a pair of glasses.
Which of the above do you think should be the exclusive definition of the word?
Except they have different ways of saying the same word too...

What started this is I have an issue with the term used because it's being used improperly because people are dumb and refuse to educate themselves properly. Heaven forbid... are you telling me that you would rather have an uneducated populous bastardizing the English language because they are "evolving" the word, instead of using proper English to describe a person, place or situation?
Write down all the words for penis that you have ever used then tell me which one of them is the ''correct'' one. If you can't do this then you are being a bit of a todger.
I use penis, always have... if I describe someone as a dick it's because they are one.

And, no I'm not being a todger... I attempt to use the correct terms, it helps when I write stories/books. I can't help it people want to be an Idjit.
#NotOneRedCent

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:55 am

The Conservative wrote:
I use penis
Bragging now?
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:56 am

BjornP wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
BjornP wrote:
The question did not revolve around wether or not it's a slur. :roll: I exclusively want to know if you understand that its use , again it's use as a slur is real or not.
Because you said this to Penner regarding "near miss" pointing to the dictionary:
The first definition is the correct, anything after that is the modern age attempting to re-purpose a word.

Look at the word faggot and you'll see what I mean.here is a hint. Faggot of wood.
Iow, what I have trouble understanding is what, if any, distinction you make between a not correct definition of a word and a "modern age attempt to re-purpose" a word. Is there any? Do you, for example, correct co-workers who call a gay person a faggot by telling them: "You're using that word incorrectly. Faggot really means a bundle of sticks"?
Or a meatball in gravy.
Last edited by Montegriffo on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:57 am

BjornP wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
BjornP wrote:

No one calls anyone at work a faggot if they do HR gets called up and they get fired...

That being said, yes at times I do correct people when they use the wrong word... especially when if the word they use wrong is a pet peeve of mine.

Like fortè.
Last edited by The Conservative on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
#NotOneRedCent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:57 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
I use penis
Bragging now?
Nope, just saying like it is.
#NotOneRedCent

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:58 am

The Conservative wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
I use penis
Bragging now?
In polite company, we say 'making love.'
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:59 am

The Conservative wrote:
I use penis
Bragging now?
I don't use mine anymore. I'm married
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:59 am

The Conservative wrote:
Bragging now?
In polite company, we say 'making love.'
If we are talking about that stuff in a conversational way, pfft... that boat sailed a long time ago.
#NotOneRedCent