Dark Days Ahead

Martin Hash

Re: Dark Days Ahead

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:54 am

Unless everyone is VPN, it’s a farce. I know who’s on VPN in this forum. Comcast can recognize a VPN, and using an AI to compute the odds of who is using the VPN is not difficult. When I was in China traveling across country in a truck, nobody knew I existed but every time I fired up a VPN on my laptop I got a message. The Chinese interpreter with us said it warned I would be arrested and gave my location to show they meant it. You need to change your mindset and get behind the insurrection or bend the knee.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:06 pm

It used to be you could use TOR and hide amongst all the pirate traffic but forcing sites to register or the Services Providers block the IP has really made that difficult for average people.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:13 pm

Many VPN providers don't keep web traffic records precisely to foil government subpoenas. As SF pointed out, there's a lot easier ways to track you then trying to crack a VPN. Just seize the MHF hosting server would be one way. Monitor your social media usage and email accounts would be another.

But cracking a VPN?
Unlikely.

Why attempt a path of great resistance when so many paths of little to no resistance exist?
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:15 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:13 pm
Many VPN providers don't keep web traffic records precisely to foil government subpoenas. As SF pointed out, there's a lot easier ways to track you then trying to crack a VPN. Just seize the MHF hosting server would be one way. Monitor your social media usage and email accounts would be another.

But cracking a VPN?
Unlikely.

And sure, knowing which accounts are using a VPN is easy. They'll all be using the addresses of the VPN servers, right? Locating the people behind those accounts is nigh impossible.

Why attempt a path of great resistance when so many paths of little to no resistance exist?

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:19 pm

DBTrek wrote:

But cracking a VPN?
Unlikely.

They don't have to "crack" it; they just have to know it exists and watch where the traffic goes; after a while an AI will find all your previous history before the VPN, can identify all the people using a VPN at a particular time, and match up to you. Ever heard of the greatest hacker of all time, Kevin Mitnick? Hell, they got him and he had poked a hole into an empty apartment from an apartment he rented under an assumed name just for the purpose of remaining cloaked. The Hugh Jackman character in Swordfish is based on him.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:21 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:54 am
Unless everyone is VPN, it’s a farce. I know who’s on VPN in this forum. Comcast can recognize a VPN, and using an AI to compute the odds of who is using the VPN is not difficult. When I was in China traveling across country in a truck, nobody knew I existed but every time I fired up a VPN on my laptop I got a message. The Chinese interpreter with us said it warned I would be arrested and gave my location to show they meant it. You need to change your mindset and get behind the insurrection or bend the knee.
Ding ding ding.

Just because you are behind a VPN, I can guarantee you are not safe.

Just because you think you are safe because you are on a VPN it means nothing, as Martin said they know you are behind a VPN, and if the government wanted they could force VPNs to give that data.

Don't think otherwise, I've said it before, and I'll repeat it, don't assume your information is safe online if you allow a third party do protect you.
#NotOneRedCent

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:25 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:19 pm
DBTrek wrote:

But cracking a VPN?
Unlikely.

They don't have to "crack" it; they just have to know it exists and watch where the traffic goes; after a while an AI will find all your previous history before the VPN, can identify all the people using a VPN at a particular time, and match up to you. Ever heard of the greatest hacker of all time, Kevin Mitnick? Hell, they got him and he had poked a hole into an empty apartment from an apartment he rented under an assumed name just for the purpose of remaining cloaked. The Hugh Jackman character in Swordfish is based on him.
Heard of Kevin Mitnick?
I read the book by the guy who took him down.
Kevin wasn't that advanced, and Shimomura got him fairly easy.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:27 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:25 pm
Martin Hash wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:19 pm
DBTrek wrote:

But cracking a VPN?
Unlikely.

Heard of Kevin Mitnick?
I read the book by the guy who took him down.
Kevin wasn't that advanced, and Shimomura got him fairly easy.
It was at the dawn of the Internet. It's like Hanny saying Newton was a flake because he believed in alchemy.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:28 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:22 am
SilverEagle wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:09 am
Sooo make sure that you use a VPN and stay off of social media.
Irrelevant. The software being used bypasses that stuff.
Of course there are ways OTHER than trying to crack VPN to identify and track someone. Maybe I misread you here. All I'm saying is there isn't software out there that will "bypass" encrypted VPN traffic, compromise the VPN servers, and locate you. That's ridiculous.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:33 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:28 pm
The Conservative wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:22 am
SilverEagle wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:09 am
Sooo make sure that you use a VPN and stay off of social media.
Irrelevant. The software being used bypasses that stuff.
Of course there are ways OTHER than trying to crack VPN to identify and track someone. Maybe I misread you here. All I'm saying is there isn't software out there that will "bypass" encrypted VPN traffic, compromise the VPN servers, and locate you. That's ridiculous.
I just explained how it's done:
1) Use a sniffer. (I have a sniffer on this line.)
1) Determine VPN packets. (Not hard, the registration looks like a VPN.)
2) Follow all packets during that session from the ISP feed. Look for a history of similar traffic. (An AI does this.)
3) The ISPs know every IP that is on VPN, and can sniff where they're going.
4) Match to the end requests. (An AI does this.)
5) Arrest you.