Brexit

StCapps

Re: Brexit

Post by StCapps » Wed May 29, 2019 3:40 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 3:38 am
You think the threat of career-killing prosecutions won't deter politicians from making blatant lies?
Nope. Politicians lie, if they don't, they don't get elected in the first place, and won't have a job to lose.

Once they are on the job, if they don't lie, they won't keep the job, so again not going to happen.

All you are doing is legally punishing bad professional liars, and rewarding good professional liars, or lashing at out at professional liars in partisan witch hunt, through selective enforcement, in a lame attempt at whack-a-mole, woop dee doo.

Wishful thinking is a helluva drug.
Last edited by StCapps on Wed May 29, 2019 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed May 29, 2019 3:47 am

StCapps wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 3:33 am

Expecting politicians not to act like politicians is asinine and counter-productive.
Expecting politicians to stop lying in order to sway important referendums is counter-productive?
That lie on a bus has had massive consequences and now Boris's career is paying the price.
Discouraging politicians from lying sounds productive to me.

Defending politicians right to lie is a really curious hill to die on.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Wed May 29, 2019 3:48 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 3:47 am
StCapps wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 3:33 am

Expecting politicians not to act like politicians is asinine and counter-productive.
Expecting politicians to stop lying in order to sway important referendums is counter-productive?
That lie on a bus has had massive consequences and now Boris's career is paying the price.
Discouraging politicians from lying sounds productive to me.

Defending politicians right to lie is a really curious hill to die on.
You aren't discouraging politicians from lying, it's selective enforcement partisan witch hunt. Free speech includes lying, faggot. Free speech does not only include speech you approve of, or don't have a strong distaste for.

Outlawing everything you don't like doesn't always help reduce the thing you don't like, quit assuming it will. Legal penalties for actions you disagree with is your knee jerk response to every fucking issue, often when it won't help at all and will just make things worse. Often when it comes to issues of liberty and freedom as well, you err on the side of nanny state bullshit, with a naive hope that nanny making a rule against something will reduce the problem.
Last edited by StCapps on Wed May 29, 2019 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed May 29, 2019 3:59 am

Misconduct in a public office is a serious offence.
This has nothing to do with free speech. Stop deflecting.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Wed May 29, 2019 4:01 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 3:59 am
Misconduct in a public office is a serious offence.
This has nothing to do with free speech. Stop deflecting.
Acting like lying during a political campaign is a serious legal offence is a laughable stance. If that is actually a law, that's a dumb pointless law, designed for going after politicians for clearly partisan reasons. Only idiots like you believe that nanny making a rule against it will make it better.
*yip*

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed May 29, 2019 4:05 am

Defending a politician's right to lie without consequences is hilarious.
You should listen to yourself, it's comedy gold.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Wed May 29, 2019 4:07 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:05 am
Defending a politician's right to lie without consequences is hilarious.
You should listen to yourself, it's comedy gold.
If the voters care, they can punish BoJo during an election, acting like he needs to be legally punished for it is ridiculous. You think free speech only includes speech you don't find distasteful, because you're a twat.

You don't like Boris Johnson, and don't think the public has punished him enough or will punish him enough for his lies, so you lash out with a stupid law that is clearly being selectively enforced against a political opponent of yours.
*yip*

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed May 29, 2019 4:11 am

You think misconduct in a public office is a free speech issue.
You are defending lying politicians and I'm the twat?

I hope you get all the lying politicians you deserve.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Wed May 29, 2019 4:12 am

I have a right to lie, you have to right to lie, why do politicians not have that right?

Because you wish the world was all sunshine and rainbows and some stupid rule is going to make the politicians behave the way you want them to? Good luck with that utopian nonsense.
Last edited by StCapps on Wed May 29, 2019 4:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
*yip*

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed May 29, 2019 4:16 am

Actually, I like Boris. I've said so many times. I'll take him over Corbyn every time, he's far more Liberal in practice.
I didn't like him lying to the public though.
Especially when it sways the public vote.
I think it should have consequences.