What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Speaker to Animals

Re: What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 06, 2019 2:08 pm

I think you'd probably like Farscape.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon May 06, 2019 2:17 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:08 pm
Watched a few episodes of that but I didn't really get into it, same with the Sarah Connors Chronicles. Don't think I've ever seen Babylon 5 and had never heard of Dollhouse before.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

brewster

Post by brewster » Mon May 06, 2019 2:45 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:17 pm
Watched a few episodes of that but I didn't really get into it, same with the Sarah Connors Chronicles. Don't think I've ever seen Babylon 5 and had never heard of Dollhouse before.
Farscape is a little over the top in the comic book direction, but still fun. SCC is pretty high quality production and writing, that's a lot coming from a time travel hater. Dollhouse was by Joss Wedon, between Firefly and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. You gotta give it 5 episodes to see where it's heading.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon May 06, 2019 2:58 pm

brewster wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:45 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Farscape is a little over the top in the comic book direction, but still fun. SCC is pretty high quality production and writing, that's a lot coming from a time travel hater. Dollhouse was by Joss Wedon, between Firefly and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. You gotta give it 5 episodes to see where it's heading.
I think I'm going to go with ''The Expanse''. The first episode was good and it looks like it may have a little depth to it.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

brewster

Post by brewster » Mon May 06, 2019 3:21 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:58 pm
I think I'm going to go with ''The Expanse''. The first episode was good and it looks like it may have a little depth to it.
Good choice. Watch for great character actor David Strathairn barely recognizable in makeup and accent as he chews the scenery.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Mon May 06, 2019 11:40 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:13 am
Hastur wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:27 am
GloryofGreece wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:29 pm
Why is HP Lovecraft beloved by reactionary types ? Is his stuff worth reading really ... Sounds like a disturbed man really.
If you like the Horror genre you must read some Lovecraft. He is one of the most important early horror writers. His tales are good on their own but the greatness lies in how they are connected. They all inhabit the same world and themes and phenomena reappears, building a comprehensive mythos. That is his most important contribution if you ask me.

As for being loved by reactionaries, in his world civilization is under constant threat. It's old forbidden knowledge lurking under the surface, new scientific discoveries, meddling aliens and ancient gods. He's also a bit of a racist. I guess it comes with the times.

If you have an Audible account you can get all his stories for one credit. This new collection looks great:

https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Complete ... B07NRSYGHX

You don't have to read them in any particular order. Start with the best. The Call of Cthulhu, At the Mountains of Madness, The Shadow over Innsmouth, The Rats in the Walls and The Shadow Out of Time.
Thank you for the link and descriptions. I don't particularly like horror but have read a lot of classic horror. There's good stories there. Would you say his stories are more violent or more foreboding/suspenseful etc.? I'm not into reading gore for gore sake. Thank you.
He is the master of foreboding and suspense. Not much gore at all. A lot of other art refers back to him. For example Hell Boy, True Detective, the Alien movies , lots of music, comics and computer games.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue May 07, 2019 12:16 am

I like Lovecraft but, as a reactionary myself, I think his stories should not be so popular amongst us as they really are due to the fact that these stories are anti-reactionary in the sense that they remove humanity from its place of importance. In Lovecraft's fictional world, humans are food at best for much more complex and intelligent beings.

I would look more towards novels like A Canticle for Leibowitz as reactionary fiction.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue May 07, 2019 6:50 am

Montegriffo wrote:
brewster wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:45 pm
Montegriffo wrote:

Read the books as well. Its a great series and the TV show really does them justice. Only Holden looked radically different than how I pictured them

Well, and Belters are supposed to be much different looking than Inners but that's pretty hard to do outside of cinema budgets
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon May 13, 2019 4:04 pm

I'm about halfway through The Camp of the Saints. Really eye opening stuff. What I enjoy most about this book is the fact that it was written in the 1970's, the writing style is reminiscent of the 1870's. It is amazing.
Jean Raspail is officially the only human being ever spawned from the miserable nation of France that I have a modicum of respect for. 5 stars so far. Tremendous!
Shikata ga nai

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon May 13, 2019 4:36 pm

brewster wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 3:21 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Good choice. Watch for great character actor David Strathairn barely recognizable in makeup and accent as he chews the scenery.
Binge watched all 3 series in about 4 days, really liked it although the last couple of episodes let it down a bit. Is there more to come or is that the end?