The Draft: Pros-Cons and details

C-Mag

Re: The Draft: Pros-Cons and details

Post by C-Mag » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:24 pm

Fife wrote:
What are you saying here? A draft is OK because the state already fucks you up the arse six ways to Sunday anyhow?

Straighten me out here if I'm barking up the wrong tree.
I was joking.
Mandatory Civil Service is not a new concept invented by Lincoln during the Civil War. It does not infringe upon your freedom for your entire life, and I think it has many virtues beneficial to society. The Draft has not been found unconstitutional. And you can bet our governmental planners know how they will roll out another draft if needed.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:30 pm

Libertarians remind me of Henry David Thoreau.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:30 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Fife wrote:Read this out loud, and slowly. Then do it again, and think about the context from which it came.

Americans commit 3 felonies a day............... get on the chain gang.
That's really good.

:lol:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:34 pm

C-Mag wrote:
MilSpecs wrote:
C-Mag wrote:We are going to be talking Draft soon as new female babies will soon be subject to the draft. The National Defense Authorization Act, includes language that requires women born on or after January 1, 2018, to sign up for Selective Service on their 18th birthdays.

I'm a long time proponent for the Draft. Not that it will make a better military, but for the benefits to society. And yes it meshes with my Fortress America Doctrine. When I'm Imperator, there will be an M4 over every mantel.

My Draft
- Mandatory Civil Service from age 18-20 for all men, women and name your gender
- Service to the nation not confined to military, could be in any agency or perhaps even local public service
- deferments would be damn near impossible to get, better be brain dead or a quadriplegic.
- Selection of Service will be based on performance in High School.
-- at age 16-17 you select 3 agencies and 3 jobs you would like
-- Agencies pick, might give the military first round draft choice
- Drop out of school or F off on your education, that's all right, the USDA has fruit and veggies to be picked and Mike Rowe will train you in Dirty Jobs
- All our seasonal and part time jobs would be targeted for youth labor and skill learners
- There will be a new Civilian Conservation Corps as well. Many of them centered on rebuilding light infrastructure, and improving National Parks and Lands.
Sounds good. I'd make it one year though.
Under this model you could be counseling families or convicts or drug addicts. Feeding the poor or building parks. Cooking or doing administrative tasks. You couldn't find a job you'd like for 2 years.
I don't think it would necessarily have to be something everyone would like. I can't remember what the draft used to be like, but I vaguely recall people being put in the slots they were best suited for. At least I remember guys saying they were tested in some way. I was thinking one year because some career tracks would be very difficult to get back on after several years away. The education has to be fairly ongoing. I'm sure there's a way around that problem.
:royalty-queen:

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:14 pm

I mostly think we Americans need some sort of shared experience.
PLATA O PLOMO

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:21 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
MilSpecs wrote:
Sounds good. I'd make it one year though.
Under this model you could be counseling families or convicts or drug addicts. Feeding the poor or building parks. Cooking or doing administrative tasks. You couldn't find a job you'd like for 2 years.
I don't think it would necessarily have to be something everyone would like. I can't remember what the draft used to be like, but I vaguely recall people being put in the slots they were best suited for. At least I remember guys saying they were tested in some way. I was thinking one year because some career tracks would be very difficult to get back on after several years away. The education has to be fairly ongoing. I'm sure there's a way around that problem.

The draft is primarily for cannon fodder. As it should be. The volunteers are a different class.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:10 pm

I don't think our current wars would have continued for 16 years with each POTUS invading 2 new countries if there was a draft.
PLATA O PLOMO

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:38 am

C-Mag wrote:
Fife wrote:
What are you saying here? A draft is OK because the state already fucks you up the arse six ways to Sunday anyhow?

Straighten me out here if I'm barking up the wrong tree.
I was joking.
Mandatory Civil Service is not a new concept invented by Lincoln during the Civil War. It does not infringe upon your freedom for your entire life, and I think it has many virtues beneficial to society. The Draft has not been found unconstitutional. And you can bet our governmental planners know how they will roll out another draft if needed.
The people implementing this will be seen as virtuous...

C-Mag wrote:I don't think our current wars would have continued for 16 years with each POTUS invading 2 new countries if there was a draft.
You can have fuck ups like this without using draftees, no problem.
C-Mag wrote:I mostly think we Americans need some sort of shared experience.
A couple of hundred journalists getting fired will do that.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:49 am

C-Mag wrote:We are going to be talking Draft soon as new female babies will soon be subject to the draft. The National Defense Authorization Act, includes language that requires women born on or after January 1, 2018, to sign up for Selective Service on their 18th birthdays.

I'm a long time proponent for the Draft. Not that it will make a better military, but for the benefits to society. And yes it meshes with my Fortress America Doctrine. When I'm Imperator, there will be an M4 over every mantel.

My Draft
- Mandatory Civil Service from age 18-20 for all men, women and name your gender
- Service to the nation not confined to military, could be in any agency or perhaps even local public service
- deferments would be damn near impossible to get, better be brain dead or a quadriplegic.
- Selection of Service will be based on performance in High School.
-- at age 16-17 you select 3 agencies and 3 jobs you would like
-- Agencies pick, might give the military first round draft choice
- Drop out of school or F off on your education, that's all right, the USDA has fruit and veggies to be picked and Mike Rowe will train you in Dirty Jobs
- All our seasonal and part time jobs would be targeted for youth labor and skill learners
- There will be a new Civilian Conservation Corps as well. Many of them centered on rebuilding light infrastructure, and improving National Parks and Lands.
Fascism
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:52 am

C-Mag wrote:I don't think our current wars would have continued for 16 years with each POTUS invading 2 new countries if there was a draft.
You're right here, but it shouldn't take blood sacrifice for Americans to be anti-war; the theft from each paycheck should be enough
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session