The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

TheReal_ND

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:50 pm

Holy fuck. I just dulled the shit out of my Boker using the cheap knife sharpener that came with my Finnish fillet knife. I lost my Kentucky wet stone at my old job. Now what do I do? I'm going to have to get it sharpened at a gun show or something.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:52 pm

Wait, I'm dumb. I just googled knife sharpening and there are a bunch of places for that

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:48 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Wait, I'm dumb. I just googled knife sharpening and there are a bunch of places for that
You got an Academy store over there? I'll hook you up with what you need.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:10 pm

Fife wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:Wait, I'm dumb. I just googled knife sharpening and there are a bunch of places for that
You got an Academy store over there? I'll hook you up with what you need.
Yeah. But I don't know what I need. I only just figured out how to use a wet stone somewhat decently and then I lost it.

I can't believe this knife sharpener fucked my edge off. I thought they were idiot proof. Dull as a butter knife now

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:37 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Holy fuck. I just dulled the shit out of my Boker using the cheap knife sharpener that came with my Finnish fillet knife. I lost my Kentucky wet stone at my old job. Now what do I do? I'm going to have to get it sharpened at a gun show or something.

The cheapest substitution for a good stone is to get a small piece of glass, then go to the hardware store and pick up the grit of emery clothe you want to sharpen with.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:06 pm

Cool idea. I wish he would have spent a minute describing the sharpening method. I'm assuming it's like a wet stone maybe.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:09 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Cool idea. I wish he would have spent a minute describing the sharpening method. I'm assuming it's like a wet stone maybe.
Pretty much the same. I use the method sometimes. It's an affordable way to get things really sharp without buying 1200 grit stones.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:54 pm

I think I want to get the new Gerber multi tool. Which one is top of the line? I'm using my leatherman all the time at my new job but I feel like I could afford to up my game and sell the leatherman maybe.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:56 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:I think I want to get the new Gerber multi tool. Which one is top of the line? I'm using my leatherman all the time at my new job but I feel like I could afford to up my game and sell the leatherman maybe.

There are a couple of good ones, but it depends upon the kind of work you do or how you are likely to use them.

If you tend to use the bit driver most, the Gerber Centerdrive seems ideal, since the way it is designed puts the bit directly in the middle of rotation unlike the other tools.

Leatherman Wave+ has scissors and a jewler's screwdriver in addition to the typical tools. Those two tools are needed all the time for minor sewing and cutting tasks, as well as fixing other tools.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:01 pm

Disassembling furniture a lot. I got a good drill and bit set which is great but I want to have a backup tool set. I'm trying to pare down my tool box and I have a habit of over stocking it with wrenches and sockets.