NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

StCapps

Re: NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Post by StCapps » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:49 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:He a classic Tweener, better than a pure Winger, but too small to be a full Center, you can play him at Center, but you'd be out of your mind to trade a franchise blue chip big frame top 2D like Hanafin, for an overpaid underperforming Tweener like Duchene, again, just stick with Jordan Staal, he's more effective than Duchene, and he even had more points last year.
Recency bias on full display if you think Jordan Staal is better than Matt Duchene, because he had more points last season. Still I wouldn't trade Hanafin if I was Carolina.
I'd rather have Staal, big frame two way, power game down low at both ends, they've got Jeff Skinner, Elias Lindholm, Sebatian Aho, Viktor Rask, and Teuvo Teravainen, why do they need Matt Duchene, particularly at $6 million, for only two years, coming off his worst season ever, for any of their blue chip D? They'd be crazy to make that trade.

For Hanafin? That's crazy talk, Hanafin is better than Sergachev, and Sergachev just fetched Drouin, which means Carolina could have had Drouin for Hanafin, but they passed on that for Duchene? Fake News.
Drouin is not a center, he's a wing, and as you pointed out they are already loaded on wing. Rask and Staal and prospects who may or may not play center, that isn't very impressive.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:20 pm

StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
StCapps wrote:Recency bias on full display if you think Jordan Staal is better than Matt Duchene, because he had more points last season. Still I wouldn't trade Hanafin if I was Carolina.
I'd rather have Staal, big frame two way, power game down low at both ends, they've got Jeff Skinner, Elias Lindholm, Sebatian Aho, Viktor Rask, and Teuvo Teravainen, why do they need Matt Duchene, particularly at $6 million, for only two years, coming off his worst season ever, for any of their blue chip D? They'd be crazy to make that trade.

For Hanafin? That's crazy talk, Hanafin is better than Sergachev, and Sergachev just fetched Drouin, which means Carolina could have had Drouin for Hanafin, but they passed on that for Duchene? Fake News.
Drouin is not a center, he's a wing, and as you pointed out they are already loaded on wing. Rask and Staal and prospects who may or may not play center, that isn't very impressive.
Drouin is so much better and so much younger, you'd trade Hanifin for Drouin and then look to make another deal for a centre, if you were going to trade Hanafin at all, you don't pass on Drouin and then trade Hanafin for Duchene, Duchene sucks dude, he's "The Other Jordan Eberle."
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:35 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Drouin is so much better and so much younger, you'd trade Hanifin for Drouin and then look to make another deal for a centre, if you were going to trade Hanafin at all, you don't pass on Drouin and then trade Hanafin for Duchene, Duchene sucks dude, he's "The Other Jordan Eberle."
Well then Ron Francis should have gotten off his ass and traded for Drouin and Duchene, now he can only get Duchene. Too bad for him.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:42 pm

StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:Drouin is so much better and so much younger, you'd trade Hanifin for Drouin and then look to make another deal for a centre, if you were going to trade Hanafin at all, you don't pass on Drouin and then trade Hanafin for Duchene, Duchene sucks dude, he's "The Other Jordan Eberle."
Well then Ron Francis should have gotten off his ass and traded for Drouin and Duchene, now he can only get Duchene.
Who even wants Duchene? I don't get it, even that sounds like Fake-ish News to me, who is saying teams are pursuing Duchene? Duchene's agent?

If he was a genuine Numbah One Centre, fine, but he ain't, if he was, Colorado wouldn't be looking to trade him, the fact that Colorado is so desperate to dump him on somebody, shows how much his stock has tanked, he's the wrong side of 26, he's making $6 million, he's small, he's coming off a career worst season, he looked no better at the Worlds after, didn't just suck on the Avs because the Avs sucked, he sucked on Team Canada too, you'd have to use a precious draft protection spot on him, and he's not a player who is going to alter the fortunes of your team, not like a Noah Hanafin.

Like, as Leafs fans, nobody knows better than we, when it comes to not having a Numbah One and searching for one desperately, but still, it's like you saying "trade me Mitch Marner for Matt Duchene", even if we didn't have Matthews, nobody is trading a top 5 pick, 20 year old potential franchise player still on his ELC, for Matt Duchene, and that's what Hanafin is, he was taken one pick after Marner. I wouldn't even trade you the Leafs top defensive prospect for Matt Duchene, which is Travis Dermott, and Travis Dermott, is no Hanafin,

I wouldn't trade Mitch Marner or William Nylander for Hanifin, but if I was Carolina and the Leafs said "who do you want for Hanafin?", those would be the names on the table, Hanafin is in the same asset class as Marner and Nylander, but then when I didn't get that deal, I just hand him to Colorado for their cast off Matt Duchene junk? Yeah, ah, no.

It's not like Carolina is contending for the Cup next year, they're retooling, getting younger and building for the future, why would they blow themselves up for Matt Duchene? Makes no sense. Anyone taking Matt Duchene off Colorado makes no sense, nobody should touch him with a ten foot pole, at the very least until they see if he can bounce back next year first.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:07 am

Duchene doesn't want to be here anymore, the Avs are in desperate need of defense, and we have depth at center to spare, that's why we want to trade him. If he wanted to play for us, and we didn't have holes at other positions on this team, we wouldn't be shopping him. Are you not paying attention?

Carolina needs a center and there is no guarantee that any of their prospects pans out to be a top center, hence taking a chance on Duchene who is already better than any center they have. I know you think Jordan Staal is better, but you're crazy. The Islanders need to sign guys to keep Tavares around and Duchene would make a damn fine second center there as well. Sakic is asking too much, that's the issue, not that no one wants Duchene.

I'm hearing the Hurricanes are talking to Habs about trading Hanafin for Galchenyuk, if they are thinking of making that move then they are definitely considering Duchene. Sounds like Ron Francis might not snap out of full retard mode after all, crosses fingers, knocks on wood, prays to hockey gods.
:pray:
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:11 am

That doesn't make any sense neither, if you're trading Hanafin, you trade him for a comparable, Sergachev for Drouin, Montreal already tried to trade Galchenyuk for Drouin and Tampa Bay said no way, that's why they were forced to put Sergachev in play, but now Ron Francis is going to send Hanafin out the door, for Duchene or Galchenyuk? No. Fake News.

Hanafin is lottery exempt, there's nothing forcing them to trade him, Vegas can't take him, there's no reason to rush him out the door for other people's cast off junk.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:15 am

Smitty-48 wrote:That doesn't make any sense neither, if you're trading Hanafin, you trade him for a comparable, Sergachev for Drouin, Montreal already tried to trade Galchenyuk for Drouin and Tampa Bay said no way, that's why they were forced to put Sergachev in play, but now Ron Francis is going to send Hanafin out the door, for Duchene or Galchenyuk? No. Fake News.

Hanafin is lottery exhempt, there's nothing forcing them to trade him, Vegas can't take him, there's no reason to rush him out the door for other people's cast off junk.
They don't think Duchene is as junk as you do apparently. I'm hearing some exchange of draft picks is what is holding up the deal. It's a dumb move, but apparently Ron Francis is at least intent on feigning stupidity before 3pm today.
Last edited by StCapps on Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:16 am

If Colorado wants Hanafin, the conversation starts with Rantanen, not Duchene, I mean, get real.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:19 am

Smitty-48 wrote:If Colorado wants Hanafin, the conversation starts with Rantanen, not Duchene, I mean, get real.
Not hearing any Rantanen talk. I've heard Carolina is shopping Hanafin, not just to Colorado, and the Avs are shopping Duchene, not just to Carolina, and they have both talked to each other about swapping those guys, and now they are apparently close to pulling the trigger, once the draft pick situation gets sorted out.

Even if all the rumors turn out to only be that, it's encouraging to hear from my end. It could just be a rumor that both teams are letting run wild so they can get better "real" offers for these guys, but at least there is some talk.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:24 am

But even if you're shopping Hanafin, you're fishing for a comparable, William Nylander or somebody like that, you're not shopping him for overpaid 26 year olds making $6 million with only two years left on their contracts coming off career worst seasons, Hanafin is a highly sought after commodity, the most scarce commodity in the league, if Francis trades him for anything less, he should be fired.

Montreal gets Drouin for their top D prospect, but all Carolina gets is Galchenyuk, even though Hanafin is even better Sergachev? I mean, get real.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent