How's that Obamacare Repeal Working Out For You?

SuburbanFarmer

Re: How's that Obamacare Repeal Working Out For You?

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:51 pm

Penner wrote:In the case of cigarettes, they do actually work.
I can tell you that they do not. Smokers gonna smoke.

All it accomplishes is pissing off a lot of people.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Penner

Post by Penner » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:52 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:

It basically stops new smokers, who are much younger, but the older ones are pretty much hooked.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:54 pm

Penner wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

It basically stops new smokers, who are much younger, but the older ones are pretty much hooked.
Again, no. Younger smokers that want to try it will try it. They don't pay for cigs until they're well into it. And the one pack every 2 weeks beginning smoker does not care about paying an extra dollar.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:32 am

Penner wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Bullshit, if that was true, I wouldn't see teenagers smoking on my way to work.
#NotOneRedCent

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:21 am

The cost of dope in Washington is sky-high but the Head shops are always busy. Starbucks coffee is the best counter-example: the more expensive, the more prestigious.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:04 am

There is a sweet spot where people won't just get them illegally or outside city limits. Same with gas taxes or anything else like that. That sweet spot is not as high as the wild-eyed proponents believe it to be.

Raise the taxes too high, and the result will be a small economic boom just over the border (and black market) coupled with a net revenue reduction.

It's really similar to the effect that something like a very cheap wholesaler can have on a region. If all I have to do is drive an extra hour to go to some wholesaler warehouse to purchase clothes at a large discount to everywhere else where I live, then I might choose to drive that hour distance once or twice a year to buy clothes in bulk. It depends how much money it saves me.

I suspect the inaccurate expectations from sin taxes come from the middle class. Poor folk, in my experience, are a lot better at budgeting than middle class folk, since they have less to work with and really no margin for waste. Those guys will just go black market or they will get them outside of the jurisdiction where those taxes are levied.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:33 pm

I bought a coffee and a pack of chips in a gas station a few hours ago, and the guy at the register said, "I wish I had disposable income."

Said he didn't because he has five kids. I thought about telling him so do I, but having a few more hours of driving still, I just got back on the road.

Chatty gas station clerks can be a chore to get away from if you get them going.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:48 am

Okeefenokee wrote:I bought a coffee and a pack of chips in a gas station a few hours ago, and the guy at the register said, "I wish I had disposable income."

Said he didn't because he has five kids. I thought about telling him so do I, but having a few more hours of driving still, I just got back on the road.

Chatty gas station clerks can be a chore to get away from if you get them going.
My neighbor decided to keep a shit job at a restaurant because he "feels bad". Dude is making $9/hr running a kitchen by himself.

I did not point out that this is why he has no money. Fortunately, he's decided to start his own business on the side, running a foodcart, and it's starting to take off.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:55 am

See your future, America.

See your future, and despair.

Devastated parents of Charlie Gard spend their last night with their baby and blast 'heartless' doctors for refusing to let them take him home to die before they turn off his life support later today
And they also the so-called 'Charlie's Army' who donated £1.4million for the US treatment being denied to him and told them: 'Charlie will die tomorrow knowing that he was loved by thousands - thank you to everyone for all your support'.

The couple have also accused Great Ormond Street of trying to 'rush' his death despite promises they would have the time they needed to say goodbye to their only son.

Connie Yates and Chris Gard had battled to take their son, who has a rare genetic condition, to undergo experimental treatment in the US.

But earlier this week they reached the very end of their legal battle after the European Court of Human Rights backed British doctors who said it would be kinder to let the ten month old die.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:58 am

Fife wrote:See your future, America.

See your future, and despair.

Devastated parents of Charlie Gard spend their last night with their baby and blast 'heartless' doctors for refusing to let them take him home to die before they turn off his life support later today
And they also the so-called 'Charlie's Army' who donated £1.4million for the US treatment being denied to him and told them: 'Charlie will die tomorrow knowing that he was loved by thousands - thank you to everyone for all your support'.

The couple have also accused Great Ormond Street of trying to 'rush' his death despite promises they would have the time they needed to say goodbye to their only son.

Connie Yates and Chris Gard had battled to take their son, who has a rare genetic condition, to undergo experimental treatment in the US.

But earlier this week they reached the very end of their legal battle after the European Court of Human Rights backed British doctors who said it would be kinder to let the ten month old die.

I'd have taken that money and brought a lawsuit against the hospital so they couldn't do it, and then use the rest for bills... Hospitals like this that are that heartless don't deserve to stay in business...
#NotOneRedCent