The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Smitty-48

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:07 pm

Fife wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:If you're shooting the #6 pellets for a wide spread, that didn't even go through sheet metal, point blank, with #4 pellets for lethality, the spread was not that much, he was softball sized spread with that, if you're gonna miss with a bullet at that range, then you probably missed with a softball too, particularly with a mule kick on a chick wrist under duress.

I say again, the chick under panicked duress gun would be compact, low recoil, lots of rounds, empty the whole mag into him, if at point blank.

Just 5 shells of #6 pellets, fired wildly in a panic? I don't think that increases your odds of actually ending the engagement decisively, if you're gonna spray and pray, spray 15 x 9 milly semi-jack, #6 pellets is a recipe for the guy to be able to shoot you right back, that's a whiffle ball shot.
Like I said, the Judge .410 is a handy and nifty snake gun, with some dove loads. Other than that, what you gonna do, shoot some fucker trying to jack your F-250 if you can convince him to stick his head inside your window first?
Well, like I said, Hickock was getting a big spread, but that was with #6 pellets, basically just BB's on steroids, my buddy got shot in the head with one, it just hit his eyebrow and stuck there, it's still there, so that is a big spread of whiffle ball, when Hickok goes to the #4's, ok, now that's got some punch, but the spread is then down to softball sized, and at that range, it's not hard to hit a softball sized area on a man sized target with a .357, so I'm not really seeing the point.
Nec Aspera Terrent

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:14 pm

If one doesn’t see the point of impacting a softball sized attack surface over a bead sized one then I guess there’s no use arguing it.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:14 pm

DBTrek wrote:You can get shitty birdshot loads for an 870 as well. Maybe we should dismiss them too - on account of all ammo isn’t great for home defense or something.

Sounds reasonable.
Pffft

Haha, now we're comparing 12 guage with .410, Okie-dokie. (Birdshot shells in 12 guage ain't "shitty," BTW.)

You miss the point, as per the usual, Grasshopper. With any load (000 at 5 shot/shell being the best for .410 defense), a .410 is about the same as .380 inside 15 feet; and about as useful as hind tits on a boar hog outside that range, no matter what you load it with.

Don't get me wrong, I love .410 dearly, and I carry the Judge with me in the sticks and on the lake, I love it. But I wouldn't take a tackhammer to a ten-penny nail.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:16 pm

DBTrek wrote:If one doesn’t see the point of impacting a softball sized attack surface over a bead sized one then I guess there’s no use arguing it.
Well, it's up to you, I just don't think you're actually increasing your chances of scoring a critical hit with a huge kick and a softball sized spread, vs a moderate kick and hit that same area with a plus P or whatever.
Nec Aspera Terrent

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:17 pm

Home invaders seldom stand more than 15’ away.
Sounds like rednecks just gotta hate on some gun because they’re all out of Coors and the cravings are making them edgy.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:21 pm

I don't dislike the Judge, it's kind of fun, and like I say, you can have different loads in your five round rotation, but I don't actually have any problem using the 870 for CQB, so I don't see much point in adding the Judge to just gauge, wheelgun backup, and fighting knife.
Nec Aspera Terrent

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:25 pm

I don’t own the Judge, but I see the utility of it. I’m good with a shotty and a sidearm myself, but if some newb was only buying one gun for home defense, the Judge would make my list of possibilities.

The 870 would too, but both would rank below a .38/.357 wheelgun.

Not appearing on that list at all - an AR-15.

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:30 pm

DBTrek wrote:Not appearing on that list at all - an AR-15.
Let's start a thread on "What's the Best Piece Against the Coyote Horde?"

AR-15 will be somewhere on the top 10 (or 20) of that list. Maybe.

:twisted:

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:35 pm

See, the things that are illegal up here in Canada, is sawed off, and pistol grip with no stock. ironically tho, minimum barrel length is actually only 8.5 inches, so if you take your surplus police 870, and then put an 8.5 inch barrel on it, it's quite the shorty indeed, more than short enough for me, full stock n' all, and I actually prefer the full stock, as the stock itself is a melee weapon.
Nec Aspera Terrent

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:40 pm

Damn ... 8.5”?

Sweet deal for Canadians.

I’ve wondered on occasion what LE in the USA would do if they found a 10” shotgun barrel in a guys house. I mean, if it’s not *on* the shotgun is that still illegal?

Sure, they might argue that shotgun barrels are easily swapped ... and that the guy was obviously using the shorter barrel when the fuzz wasn’t around to see it. As if anyone would pull such a dirty trick.

... but if it’s not on the gun it’s just a metal tube, right? Maybe the guy uses it to put torque on tiny Chinese wrenches, who knows?
:twisted: