The Mess

Speaker to Animals

Re: The Mess

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:19 am

Smitty-48 wrote:Meh, not much for video games, more of a billiards man me, if you saved up all the money you spend on video games, I bet you could afford a nice pool table. Maybe a pinball machine too.

Then I wouldn't have Kerbel Space Program or Crusader Kings II. I'd be stuck with a pool table, taking up a lot of space, that I might play a fraction of the time.

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:47 am

My wife has been watching The Crown on Netflix recently, Smitty. Have you looked it up?

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:21 am

If I added up all of the money that I've ever spent on games in my life, it may be almost enough for a nice slate table. But as StA pointed out, I'd never have gotten 10,000+ hours of entertainment out of the thing.

Times they are a'changin, old boy.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:16 pm

You've spent 10,000+ hours playing video games? Good Lord.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:21 pm

Xenophon wrote:My wife has been watching The Crown on Netflix recently, Smitty. Have you looked it up?
No, not yet, there's really too much stuff on Netflix for me to keep up, trying to get this forum off the ground is most of my electronic entertainment at the moment, and bear in mind, most of what I watch on television is hockey related. Thing about virtual pub, I can do this and watch hockey at the same time.
Nec Aspera Terrent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:26 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:You've spent 10,000+ hours playing video games? Good Lord.
Over a period of 30+ years? That was an extremely conservative estimate. Spent a lot of good times with Mario, Sonic, and Zelda as a kid.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:42 pm

Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

ssu

Post by ssu » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:19 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Doesn't actually look very martial to be honest, isn't there a game where you can be Napoleon or something like that? I already know how to shoot, thanks, where's the game where I get to manoeuvre Corps around?
If your looking for correct historical Computer strategy games, Matrix games are those I would prefer. Not made to look good, they are accurate. They look just like the table games and the strategy games you might remember from the time before PC's, but naturally a Computer makes all the calculations for you and can have a hugely detailed

Then the quite historical one's like this one, Gary Grigsby's war in the East.

Yes, Felix Steiner truly commanded the 3rd Panzer Corps, even if we know Steiner from the cult "Hitler Youtube-clip"

Of course the old hexagon games just go so far. In truth what is lacking is the real "Simulator of a General", of a man that actually has to lead men, his HQ, and make decisions in the way an actual commander does. In Computer games you can just move every units the way you want, have nearly God-like information of the actual battlefield, and don't do a lot of things what actual leaders do: get their team to function in the best way possible.

Yet naturally the most realistic one's are the simulators that were human input can be depicted quite well to a machine that then actually does the fighting. Hence Aircraft simulators can truly copy everything else well than the action of looking around and feeling the aircraft (like when the aircraft starts to stall, which is something you will notice with your body). Hence Naval warfare simulators are the best, where the weapon systems can be depicted in great detail. First person shooters cannot be this, as human move, not just use some controls with their hands.

DCS cockpit of an earlier version A-10:

Actual A-10 cockpit, later version:

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:55 pm

Why y'all trying to get me to play vidya games, yo? This is my video game here, if I got hooked on some video war game, I might never post again, and what would you all do without me, eh? Gonna get pretty boring around here, If ol' Smitty wanders off to play another type of video war.
Nec Aspera Terrent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:58 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Why y'all trying to get me to play vidya games, yo? This is my video game here, if I got hooked on some video war game, I might never post again, and what would you all do without me, eh? Gonna get pretty boring around here, If ol' Smitty wanders off to play another type of video war.
There'd be a lot less talk of cultural genocide around... :D

Formerly GrumpyCatFace