The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Okeefenokee

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:46 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Otern

Post by Otern » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:43 am

Okeefenokee wrote:Sounds like someone was leading a secret life. :twisted:
Yeah. Really, it's made late in 1944, in Austria. By Steyr-Daimler-Puch, and those guys were the first ones utilizing forced labor from the camps. And there were Norwegian SS troops guarding the Mauthausen concentration camp, where they got most of their forced laborers. I don't think that rifle made its way up here after the war, since there would be no need for any more rifles up here, since 600 000 soldiers surrendered here anyway.

So, probably, someone were issued that rifle, and made their way all the way up here, before the war ended. Maybe it's one of the nazis that got away.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:10 pm

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:10 pm

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:08 pm

RESISTENCE

MAGPUL Hands Out Free PMAGs in Vermont Ahead of Magazine Capacity Limit Law

MAGPUL, with help from RECOIL Magazine, saw an opportunity to duplicate the success of the “Boulder Airlift” they mounted in Colorado after a similar law was passed there. The Vermont magazine give-away, dubbed the Green Mountain Airlift, distributed 1200 30-round PMAGs to pro-gun rights protesters yesterday.

PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:12 pm

Otern wrote:Got myself another Mauser. A K98k, still in the original caliber, which is rare around here. It used to belong to my grandfather, but was lost for many years after he died. Then the guy he gave it to handed it in on the local police station, and they let me know they had it, in case I wanted it, or it'd go to destruction. A couple weeks went by, then I got the approved application, and went down there to get it. And they were nice enough to give me a box with some original German ammo from WW2 too.

This is why I love rural police. In a city, it would probably be scrap metal now.

It's modified a lot, cut down stock, a new iron sight, and a scope, but still pretty nicely done. Also did a lot of digging on the different markings. Turns out it was made in a concentration camp late in 1944, and it might have been an SS order. Norwegian SS soldiers guarded that particular camp. My grandfather bought it many years after the war, but I do wonder who it belonged to before him.

NICE

Do you have matching serial numbers on the bolt and receiver ?
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:12 pm

Classic look never gets old. :D
PLATA O PLOMO

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:04 am

This looks like a good deal. Or is it just this dude that makes it look easy?

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Otern

Post by Otern » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:20 am

C-Mag wrote: NICE

The bolt and the buttplate serial numbers don't match the receiver. But I think all other numbered parts match the receiver. Sort of a mish mash of waffenamt markings too, even on parts where the serial numbers match. It's definitely a last ditch rifle. Not as well machined and fitted as my 1938 mauser. Not as many markings. They didn't even bother to write "44" on the receiver, just a single "4". No S rune either.

Looked into the production lots at Steyr-Daimler-Puch. And while most markings indicate no SS order, there are some markings that are common on a SS rifle, but not on a Wehrmacht rifle. Probably made on a Wehrmacht order, but some of the guys proof marking it, proof marked rifles made for the SS too.

The ammunition I got was made in 1940 and 1934, primarily. Kind of weird to think about ammunition not being used for almost the entire time the nazis were in power. It's the good kind too, not steel cased. Some steel cored.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:42 am

Otern wrote:
C-Mag wrote: NICE

The bolt and the buttplate serial numbers don't match the receiver. But I think all other numbered parts match the receiver. Sort of a mish mash of waffenamt markings too, even on parts where the serial numbers match. It's definitely a last ditch rifle. Not as well machined and fitted as my 1938 mauser. Not as many markings. They didn't even bother to write "44" on the receiver, just a single "4". No S rune either.

Looked into the production lots at Steyr-Daimler-Puch. And while most markings indicate no SS order, there are some markings that are common on a SS rifle, but not on a Wehrmacht rifle. Probably made on a Wehrmacht order, but some of the guys proof marking it, proof marked rifles made for the SS too.

The ammunition I got was made in 1940 and 1934, primarily. Kind of weird to think about ammunition not being used for almost the entire time the nazis were in power. It's the good kind too, not steel cased. Some steel cored.

It's typical for German Mauser bolts and recievers to have different serial numbers. The practice in WWII by the Allies was that when Germans were captured and turning in weapons they were put in a line and told to remove the bolts from their rifles, then walked forward. The rifle was dropped in a pile with one hand, the bolt was dropped in a pile on the opposite side.

If you ever find a German Mauser with a matching bolt and receiver, you've got a very valuable weapon.
PLATA O PLOMO