Literal Odds and Ends

Montegriffo

Re: Literal Odds and Ends

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:29 am

Montegriffo wrote:Pah, lying fake news media.3 or4 inches of snow and you'd think it was "the day after tomorrow" with the fuss they are making.
The beast from the East is biting hard now. Driving the 8 miles into work yesterday was challenging. There was about 8 inches of snow covering the country lanes which are about 3 miles of my journey. Weather like this is rare in the UK so only the major roads get gritted and snow ploughs are almost non-existant. Snow continued to fall during the day and the wind picked up which meant that on my return home the main road had some snow drifts building up where there was a gap in the hedgerows.
Windchill factor means the temperature is around -15c where the seasonal average is +7c.
No vehicles have snow tyres so lorries are getting stuck on hills and several 100 people got stuck in their cars overnight.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:32 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:Pah, lying fake news media.3 or4 inches of snow and you'd think it was "the day after tomorrow" with the fuss they are making.
The beast from the East is biting hard now. Driving the 8 miles into work yesterday was challenging. There was about 8 inches of snow covering the country lanes which are about 3 miles of my journey. Weather like this is rare in the UK so only the major roads get gritted and snow ploughs are almost non-existant. Snow continued to fall during the day and the wind picked up which meant that on my return home the main road had some snow drifts building up where there was a gap in the hedgerows.
Windchill factor means the temperature is around -15c where the seasonal average is +7c.
No vehicles have snow tyres so lorries are getting stuck on hills and several 100 people got stuck in their cars overnight.
8" is a serious amount of snow. I usually just work from home when it snows a lot. ;)
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:43 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
8" is a serious amount of snow. I usually just work from home when it snows a lot. ;)
Not something I can do. I didn't want to let the guests down particularly as the current group of residents are a nice bunch of old ladies from a sewing group.
I am off today as they are due to go home after lunch but they may be forced to stay another couple of days until better weather is coming up from the south west. Supposed to be 75 in over the weekend but how many will actually make it is not yet known.
The farm looks fantastic covered in a blanket of snow but I feel for the wildlife, I've just put out the last of my bread for the birds.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:46 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
8" is a serious amount of snow.

Chicagoans read stuff like that and find much amusement.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:53 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
8" is a serious amount of snow.

Chicagoans read stuff like that and find much amusement.
I realise it is nothing compared to many places but the difference is that here we have very few resources to deal with it. Only motorways will see snow ploughs and in rural areas like where I live it is down to farmers to try and keep the roads open. Many isolated villages have been cut off.
I'm toying with the idea of travelling out to the shops as I've stupidly run low on food. Also it will give me some idea of whether I'm going to be able to get to work tomorrow.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:10 am

Where I live they shut everything down if there is just a dusting.

K@th

Post by K@th » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:36 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:Where I live they shut everything down if there is just a dusting.
In Jacksonville, FL, there's no other choice. The entire downtown is connected to the rest of the city with bridges. Once those freeze, they shut down the city. Huge safety risk.
Account abandoned.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:01 am

Well that was fun. Got into town without too much trouble but coming back I had to wait a couple of times for stuck vehicles to get pulled out of drifts. I was just about the only guy not in a 4x4. Abandonned lorries at the bottom of all the hills.
Not sure about going to work tomorrow if the wind doesn't calm down.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:04 am

Montegriffo wrote:Well that was fun. Got into town without too much trouble but coming back I had to wait a couple of times for stuck vehicles to get pulled out of drifts. I was just about the only guy not in a 4x4. Abandonned lorries at the bottom of all the hills.
Just go slow, and don't use the brakes. Ease onto the gas when you start sliding, if you're in a FWD. If not, just coast.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:13 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:Well that was fun. Got into town without too much trouble but coming back I had to wait a couple of times for stuck vehicles to get pulled out of drifts. I was just about the only guy not in a 4x4. Abandonned lorries at the bottom of all the hills.
Just go slow, and don't use the brakes. Ease onto the gas when you start sliding, if you're in a FWD. If not, just coast.
Yeah I know all that, the problem is the drifting snow being too deep for my little VW Polo to drive through. A couple of times I had to back up and drive hard at the piles to get through.