The Mess

Montegriffo

Re: The Mess

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:31 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Wandiwash by the way, was the decisive battle for India, Britain became the global hegemon, when they took North America from the French, by causing the collapse of Nouvelle France, seizing the gateway therein at the Plains of Abraham, and drove the French out of India, making the Raj therein the jewel in the crown. All ratified by the Treaty of Paris 1763.

Oh, and being Americans, no doubt you would invoke the Revolutionary War as a defeat for the British hegemon, but in terms of global hegenomy, it was actually a wash for the British and another defeat for the French, largely self inflicted, but that's another story.
Ah, I asked that question about India a couple of weeks ago, cheers.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:35 pm

Well we did try to take French Canada immediately after we went into rebellion against the English. They can't really be blamed for not throwing in with us :lol:

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:42 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Well we did try to take French Canada immediately after we went into rebellion against the English. They can't really be blamed for not throwing in with us :lol:
Too many Smittys, you were doomed to fail.
Only reason you beat us was cos we had lost interest once we had the jewel in the crown, plus we had a mad king.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:46 pm

Actually it was just standard discipline. The attack was doomed. We thought we had the element of surprise but we didn't and we lost a very promising general in the charge. Snow storms can only mask your movements so much.

Also it should be noted smitty was nowhere around. Canada back then was French Canada and a few English fishing villages.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:49 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:Well we did try to take French Canada immediately after we went into rebellion against the English. They can't really be blamed for not throwing in with us :lol:
Too many Smittys, you were doomed to fail.
Only reason you beat us was cos we had lost interest once we had the jewel in the crown, plus we had a mad king.
Yorktown didn't make you not the hegemon anymore, so as soon as the rebels had their republic, Britain and the USA imedieately went into business, British shareholders in America, British controlled markets for American goods, the French meanwhile, got cut out of the deal, went broke, and then were overthrown by a French Revolution inspired by the American Revolution which the French Crown had just gone broke funding.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:51 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Actually it was just standard discipline. The attack was doomed. We thought we had the element of surprise but we didn't and we lost a very promising general in the charge. Snow storms can only mask your movements so much.

Also it should be noted smitty was nowhere around. Canada back then was French Canada and a few English fishing villages.
The Smitty's were there, I assure you, my ancestor Captain Jacob Smith landed at Halifax harbour Nova Scotia; in 1757, the Smitty's were amongst the Loyalists who took Acadia from the French.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:55 pm

This was Ottawa. No smitty's there to my knowledge. Just québécois.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:58 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:This was Ottawa. No smitty's there to my knowledge. Just québécois.
There was no Ottawa in 1775, Ottawa wasn't founded until 1826, orignally called Bytown.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:59 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:Actually it was just standard discipline. The attack was doomed. We thought we had the element of surprise but we didn't and we lost a very promising general in the charge. Snow storms can only mask your movements so much.

The Smitty's were there, I assure you, my ancestor Captain Jacob Smith landed at Halifax harbour Nova Scotia; in 1757, the Smitty's were amongst the Loyalists who took Acadia from the French.
1757 my lot were farmers.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:00 am

Well what the fuck did they try to invade? I was just dozing off to this podcast. Hang on... Quebec City. Same shit.